PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming

allan907
28th Feb 2006, 16:36
On the last day of summer down here in the Antipodes it has just been announced that we have had the coldest summer for 50 years with an average temperature some 4 degrees below the normal average (31 C). It has also been wetter than normal.

With my house built on the 1000 ft contour I think I'll stop trying to flog it as a beach house and concentrate on it being near the (future) Western Australian ski slopes.

Jerricho
28th Feb 2006, 16:40
Well I see you "coldest winter for 50 years" and raise you a "warmest winter on record". Thing is, records round here have only been taken for the last 150ish years. The year before the first record was taken could have been positively tropical........who knows. ;)

http://www.gamesfirst.com/reviews/greg/SouthPark/splogo.jpg

"Oh no!! Global Warming is coming to get us!!!!!"

acbus1
28th Feb 2006, 16:42
Not another heated argument. :*

;)

Jerricho
28th Feb 2006, 16:47
No matter how hot it gets, that pun is still gonna suck :p :p

Davaar
28th Feb 2006, 16:50
.... he said, coldly.

Rick Storm
28th Feb 2006, 17:12
Allan........

If all held there fridge/freezer doors open for three days the maths of .....

A=Area of coverage
Av= Average (expected) chill factor
E=Effect of AxAv
(note due to keyboard cannot translate to true equation)

A^Av^E=Time of cool.
It works trust me.

frostbite
28th Feb 2006, 17:14
Anglia TV announced "coldest winter for nine years" (so far!) a couple of days ago.

Jerricho
28th Feb 2006, 17:16
@ Rick - how long would it take for the ice cream to melt?

pigboat
28th Feb 2006, 19:16
The A380 is in Iqaluit on Baffin Island undergoing cold weather trials. This am, the temperature in Iqaluit was +1 degree. 800 miles south, in Labrador City NF, the temp was -38.

We were a balmy -26, but I digress.

Sailor Vee
28th Feb 2006, 19:49
fridge/freezer doors open for three daysthe only problem being the power stations having to run extra to supply the power, would cancel out any beneficial effect!:rolleyes:

tilewood
28th Feb 2006, 21:41
Oh God I'm going to have to rub myself against someone to keep warm!! ;)

cortilla
1st Mar 2006, 01:00
Ok Kids, how about we turn this into a serious discussion. whilst i hate the term, global warming, i do agree with the term climate change. Whilst a heating of the average global temperature (say 1-2 degrees over the next 100-150 years) could be very beneficial to the global economy, i.e. an increase in crop yields and so forth. However the real problem with climate change, is that no one really knows what is going to happen. whether an increase in climate change gasses (there are 6 of them recognised by Kyoto, but possibly more) will increase or decrease average global temps, or have no effects at all, but no one knows. are you willing to take the risk??

Another major issue is radiative forces caused by contrails. These seem to be 2-4 times more harmful than green house gasses alone (again this is probably just conjecture but do you want to risk it?).

Whilst there is some evidence for a new ice age (i.e. the increase in the ice thickness in the antartic), there is just as much evidence for a short term global dimming ( a short term decrease in global temps due to an increase in cloud cover due to a very short term increase in global temps because of industrialisation, very contradictory i know, but hey, i just recite what i read).

However what i have been trying to state in these little missives is the following. Who is willing to take the risk. I personally am not, and therefore i am trying to lead a carbon neutral lifestyle. I'm not saying that anyone else should, but i will. Gimmie a PM if you fancy references or further explanation for any of the topics i've raised

Cheerso,

Off for a surf in the freezing cornish sea.

BlueWolf
1st Mar 2006, 02:03
Nah, let's keep it silly. Global dimming is the result of increasing numbers of French people. I blame the French.

West Coast
1st Mar 2006, 04:24
"We were a balmy -26, but I digress"

I was going to complain about the rain today, but in perspective I have nothing to complain about.

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Mar 2006, 05:24
Wish it would rain here....

arcniz
1st Mar 2006, 09:29
"Volcano faerts", I said, anticipating a slightly cold stare.

Jerricho
1st Mar 2006, 14:45
Is that one of them ye-olde English type farts????

Capt.KAOS
1st Mar 2006, 14:57
On the last day of summer down here in the Antipodes it has just been announced that we have had the coldest summer for 50 years with an average temperature some 4 degrees below the normal average (31 C). It has also been wetter than normal.What is 50 years on the time-scale of 3-5 Billion year that Earth exists and the 3-500.000 year Homo Sapiens is walking around. Been there, done that. Temperature changes were present and will be present, it depends more on the Sun cycle than Co2 or other crap. Men survived wearing bear skin, so most likely we'll survive again.

It has been snowing here the last 2 years more than 25 years before, so who cares about statistics? It's all piggyback writings by these damn reporters.

PS Somewhere in Palaeolithic times England and Europe were connected, sure hope that will never happen again...

SoundBarrier
1st Mar 2006, 20:50
Global Warming is a myth. Seriously. All this bumf about ozone etc, is a ply by the commercial entities trying to gain cash for cancer preventing products.

"Don't stay in the sun, you get skin cancer."
"Don't wipe you arse with asbestos, you get anal cancer, or at least piles."

Complete, utter, bullfaeces.

arcniz
2nd Mar 2006, 07:04
Soundbarrier:

So there you are....all buttered up, working on a tan, and shoving a piece of chrysolite asbestos (looks like jade, but with that little something extra) up yer posterior oroficiale......

Why?

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Mar 2006, 07:07
Because it's there...?:confused:

arcniz
2nd Mar 2006, 07:17
Is that one of them ye-olde English type farts????

No, those be relatively new faerts. I'm talkin' OLD v-faerts. Historical, if y' ken. Even older than the oldest of the llwellisch faerts.

arcniz
2nd Mar 2006, 07:24
Solid Rust Twotter says: Because it's there

Awlriight, but be real careful......or you'll Krakatoa

arcniz
2nd Mar 2006, 07:31
What is 50 years on the time-scale of 3-5 Billion year that Earth exists?

Well.. somewhere between .5x and 2x of a lifetime, depending on one's luck. Eternity is fine, billions are fine, but we (vi morituri) have a vested interest in the good ol' here and now... doncha think? Got a problem with that?

Capt.KAOS
2nd Mar 2006, 07:56
Clearly my point went over your head into the ozon hole. My point was: climate changes on Earth, it has been a fact for zillion years and there's nothing mankind can do about it or influence it. Live with the fact, capiche?

arcniz
2nd Mar 2006, 08:10
Clearly my point went over your head into the ozon hole. My point was: climate changes on Earth, it has been a fact for zillion years and there's nothing mankind can do about it or influence it. Live with the fact, capiche?

Capisco bene, but it is not much of a point, that you make..

If all you have to say is that you have nothing to say, then why say it with such pompous authority?

acbus1
2nd Mar 2006, 08:19
there's nothing mankind can do about it or influence it.

But mankind has influenced the climate over the last few years! Global dimming and warming due to human activity are measureable influences!

And the trend is rapidly heading for disaster, in terms of the survival of a big chunk of life on Earth.

strafer
2nd Mar 2006, 11:00
No. He. Hasn't.

pup150
2nd Mar 2006, 11:21
Yes he has!

Ian Corrigible
2nd Mar 2006, 12:11
1-2 degrees over the next 100-150 years
Current estimate is 5.8C over 100 years (see IPCC says global weather 'out of kilter' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4761804.stm)).

The issue is finally being discussed Stateside, if only by the weekend weather girls (sorry, meteorologists), who are having great fun in predicting what could happen when the Gulf Stream stalls.

The international response to climate change must be a psychologist's wet dream: a chance to see the 'prisoner's dilemma' played out on a global scale. "We'd could do something about it, but why bother when China and India probably won't play along..."

:hmm:

I/C

acbus1
2nd Mar 2006, 12:50
OK, takeaway Indians and Chinese.

Capt.KAOS
2nd Mar 2006, 12:53
Anyone remember the "Acid Rain" disaster heading to us 30 years ago? "We are on the brink of an ecological Hiroshima", "The Black Forest Will Disappear In 30 Years" (Today the woods are flourishing and the dead trees appeared the victrim of drought and not pollution).

GreenWings
2nd Mar 2006, 13:27
(Today the woods are flourishing and the dead trees appeared the victrim of drought and not pollution).

Must be the global warming then. We're all DOOMED!:{ :{

arcniz
4th Mar 2006, 09:03
if only by the weekend weather girls (sorry, meteorologists)

Shouldn't that be meteorologysts ?

tony draper
4th Mar 2006, 09:27
I blame all this coloured texts in posts, on the other hand it could of course be the French.
A new study has revealed that people who type coloured text are probably latent homosexuals.
:rolleyes:

Lon More
4th Mar 2006, 09:51
I went off at a tangent from this, looking for photos of contrails over the North Sea and ended up in a chemtrails/New Order forum.
This was in the introduction to their "discussion";
For the so called "skeptics": we won't discuss with you.
This is because there is no point in doing so since your only goal is to sink the subjects being treated here, without offering yourself any relevant knowledge or arguments
Talk about narrow minded - sound like some JB'ers :D

airship
4th Mar 2006, 09:58
Anyone remember the "Acid Rain" disaster heading to us 30 years ago? "We are on the brink of an ecological Hiroshima", "The Black Forest Will Disappear In 30 Years" (Today the woods are flourishing and the dead trees appeared the victrim of drought and not pollution). I do recall a fuss being made over that. Apparently due to the burning of fossil fuels in coal-fired power stations and cars. But haven't we all switched over to gas-fired / nuclear power stations and installed catalytic converters on cars during the intervening years?! :rolleyes:

I don't know if we're headed for a global warming or even an ultimate cooling. Whatever, I'm pretty sure it'll be a bumpy ride. But what I can't comprehend is how so many people simply refuse to accept that mankind's activities have probably acted as the catalyst to a more rapid change in any longer-term and natural 'trend'.

For goodness' sake, open your eyes... :sad:

acbus1
4th Mar 2006, 10:08
:sad:

:eek:

Bri-i-i-i-i-ight li-i-i-i-i-ights!

:cool:

S'better.

barit1
4th Mar 2006, 12:55
I have a database for a nearby city containing the record high and record low temps for each day in the year, along with the year of each of the 730 records.

For 110 of the days of the year, the record high is more recent than the record low.

For 255 days, the record low is more recent than the record high.

Conclusion: If anyone wants to draw a "global warming" scenario from this, they'll need new and improved math tools.

(Not too sure about leap years though) :uhoh:

Jerricho
4th Mar 2006, 15:44
Current estimate is 5.8C over 100 years (see IPCC says global weather 'out of kilter' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4761804.stm)).

Hmm. Have to note the use of the words "probably", "uncertainty" and "could" in that source. Cynical I know, but why are the results going to be released soon, and do you really think they will turn around and say "Nope, we was wrong". Same thing as if another study released findings "Tis all just part of how the world turns and you can't do sh*t about it".

I often smile when the "glaciers are melting" argument starts being banded around. Ummmm, look around at landscapes that have been carved out christ knows how long ago. Little Ice Age anyone?

allan907
5th Mar 2006, 04:10
From coldest summer for 50 years less than a week ago to a very sultry 40 C today. It's you lot in the northern hemisphere with yer central heating that I blame - there's not enough of us down here to make a difference!

arcniz
5th Mar 2006, 05:40
Then again, maybe it's cause some antipodals aren't holding up adequately on the southy end of the orb. Morre BBQ, I say. Tough work, but....

BDiONU
5th Mar 2006, 16:24
Good 'ol Doonesbury:
http://www.uclick.com/client/wpc/db/2006/03/05/index.html :)

BD

Gingerbread Man
5th Mar 2006, 16:43
If you leave your freezer door open it eventually becomes a heater. Something to do with the heat exchanger thingy. If I knew how to explain it, I would have :ugh: .

GBM :}

G-CPTN
5th Mar 2006, 16:52
I know that these devices DON'T work (efficiently, if at all) in cold surroundings. Many folk have placed their fridges and freezers in an outhouse or garage, only to discover that they won't keep cool/cold. seems there has to be a temperature gradient between 'ambient' and inside for it to work. Probably just a 'heat pump' - one side hot, the other cold, or one side cold, the other hot.
?

We MUST have a hair conditioner spurt on here somewhere?

Lon More
5th Mar 2006, 16:59
:mad: It's all the :mad: farmers fault. cows produce methane.
AND they get a subsidy (so you lot can blame Brussel again)

Jerricho
5th Mar 2006, 17:21
Yeah, those damn farmers feeding the cows stuff thar make them fart.

con-pilot
5th Mar 2006, 17:23
Well, G-C I guess I really can't answer you on the outside question. All I can tell you is that we have an additional refrigerator in the garage where the ambient temperature ranges from 110f to 10f (sometimes lower :ooh: ) and it works fine.

We also had refrigerators in the boathouse on the lake with same temperature range and never had any problems.

(I'll have admit I have sometimes wondered how things in the refrigerators outside keep things at a constant temperature in very cold weather.)

G-CPTN
5th Mar 2006, 17:26
(I'll have admit I have sometimes wondered how things in the refrigerators outside keep things at a constant temperature in very cold weather.)

Same with a vacuum flask. Beckham turned up at training the other day with soup and a choc ice in his . . .