PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of an R22 - How about a Huey for the same money!

rotorboater
28th Feb 2006, 15:53
How about this one on ebay - just what you need to start your ppl(h):)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BELL-204-UH-1H-THE-IRON-BUTTERFLY-FLYING-N3013R_W0QQitemZ4616317018QQcategoryZ63677QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt em[QUOTE]

TheFlyingSquirrel
28th Feb 2006, 16:52
hmmm...suspicious bid history if you ask me !

Lunar
28th Feb 2006, 18:18
Looks like the offer price is the same as the per hour price will be after you get it airworthy...

Huey- eats fuel and money...

Love them though.

Lunar

rotornut
28th Feb 2006, 19:14
Yeh, don't fall into the cheap purchase price trap like I did a number of years ago - just wait until you find out the cost of some of the components :eek:

topendtorque
28th Feb 2006, 19:47
double that loot with a bambi bucket laying beside it!

Hairyplane
1st Mar 2006, 08:08
Seriously,

How practical a proposition is it to maintain a Huey in airworthy condition? Is it the case that there are acres of cheap parts for these things or are they really eye-wateringly expensive?

Could be fun.

Hairyplane

rotornut
1st Mar 2006, 19:59
Hairyplane,
The best place to check for parts is Trade-a-Plane. I know from personal experience that rotary wing machines can be very expensive to maintain and you can be in for some nasty surprises. When you start getting repair bills in the 5 figure category you realise that they are not cheap!

George Semel
1st Mar 2006, 20:57
Looks like the two guys that own that money pit are bidding it up with the hopes of unloading it on some sucker.

QDMQDMQDM
1st Mar 2006, 21:10
Note they make no mention that it actually flies.

SASless
2nd Mar 2006, 11:20
Parts can be had, one would have to put it on the registry in the Experimental Catagory, do the latest engine AD, before "flying" it. The real question in these things is the "pedigree" of the parts. It is sure a "Buyer Beware" market. It might be all in order but a very careful check of the parts, historical data, and knowing which overhaul facility did the work would go a long way in preventing future problems.

If you have to ask the price....you cannot afford it!