PDA

View Full Version : Another feather in the cap for the CPS

Grainger
28th Feb 2006, 14:46
Latest figures show attacks on nurses working in the NHS are rising. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4755924.stm)
[Nurse]Mrs Holmes was working overnight on an acute medical ward at Bridlington Hospital in east Yorkshire in September 2001 when she was attacked by a patient. . . . Then the patient struck her in the face with a hard, plastic water jug. . . . Mrs Holmes needed to have three titanium plates put in her face to keep it together. She also had stitches in her upper eyelid, hair-line and upper lip. . . .

However, the patient in question was never prosecuted following a decision by the Crown Prosecution Service.Unbelievable. The article doesn't elaborate on the reasons behind this extraordinary decision, but... what the hell is going on in this country ?

Astrodome
28th Feb 2006, 18:19
Well Labour have announced that they are going to deal, harshly with those who assault NHS staff !!!!!!

Strange that but surely Bliar announced this in 1997.....and again in 1998...and again in 1999....and again in 2000...........and again in 2001,........ and again, ............and again.........................et al

frostbite
28th Feb 2006, 20:32
I often wonder about the quality of staff in the CPS.

Is it the equivalent of the EU for failed politicians, full of dross from the legal profession?

lexxity
28th Feb 2006, 20:35
I had cause to visit A&E last year, very late on a weekday night, and there were 4 security staff! What the hell is going on?

Send Clowns
28th Feb 2006, 20:50
Wait - if the police wasted their time on this sort of thing then they wouldn't have time to persecute people for expressing politically incorrect views or photographing trains! Anyone else see any of the Peter Hitchens programme on TV last night?

Farmer 1
28th Feb 2006, 20:59
Mods, please delete this thread immediately. I must protest most vehemently against this totally unwarranted stream of slurs against the Criminal Protection Service.

Justiciar
28th Feb 2006, 22:07
Unbelievable. The article doesn't elaborate on the reasons behind this extraordinary decision, but... what the hell is going on in this country ?

If the article doesn't give the reason then how are you in a position to comment? Perhaps the assailant was mentally unfit to stand trial - perhaps he was detained under the mental health act? Unfortunately, if someone is so mentally ill that they are not capable of taking part in a trial they will be unfit to plead.

Just a guess - I don't know any more than you. I do know quite a few CPS lawyers and the vast majority are as dedicated to their job and their responsibilities as no doubt you are to yours.

Grainger
28th Feb 2006, 22:19
Very much doubt it. The lady in question was on Radio 2 this afternoon. She said that she had been given no explanation as to why the perp was not charged. As you say we don't know about this case but I seriously doubt that all attacks on NHS personnel can be explained away by mental instability. I think you are clutching here.

Even if there was a good reason, you'd think they would explain it to the victim wouldn't you ? Doesn't she have the right to know ? Or is it another case of the victim having fewer rights than the criminal ?

PA-28-180
1st Mar 2006, 02:13
Justiciar...don't know about England, but in the states, someone admitted for mental observation is NOT put into an 'acute care ward'! They are segregated for up to 72 hours in a special ward. It was MAYBE due to a medication reaction, but we don't know.
Lexxity...security in/around the ER is not new. There was always security in all the ER wards I served in (beginning 1980). This was to protect the staff as we had a 'duty of care' to allow anybody in. We also had to deal with the local addict populations trying to either 'scam' a fix or steal one!

eal401
1st Mar 2006, 06:15
you'd think they would explain it to the victim wouldn't you ?
Any decent person would think so.

Justiciar
1st Mar 2006, 06:27
but in the states, someone admitted for mental observation is NOT put into an 'acute care ward'!

Yes, patients formally admitted under the Mental Health Act for assessment (up to 28 days) are admitted to a psychiatric unit. However, if suffering from a physical illness of some sort then they would end up on an accute ward.

If the victim was given no reason for the decision not to prosecute her attacker this is unforgiveable