PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Libya

Flying Aggie
28th Feb 2006, 12:54
HI everyone, I just going to start flying in Libya, doing oil company flying, I just want to know how there flying and airports and atc like. If you any one has info please let me know

Flying Aggie

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Feb 2006, 13:30
Which aircraft, mate?

Contact Gunship on the Africa Aviation forum. He's based there and should have some good gen for you.

Flying Aggie
28th Feb 2006, 13:56
been told will be starting in the Casa 212 then move up to dash 8, thanks I'll try to contact Gunship

Flying Aggie

CorpoRat
1st Mar 2006, 05:49
Its not too bad, only hotel worth staying in is Corinthia Towers Tripoli, the rest are very trying. Mostly friendly people, they got radar now which helps. Some of the outlying airports have no or wrong info.

ChiefT
1st Mar 2006, 07:22
Its not too bad, only hotel worth staying in is Corinthia Towers Tripoli, the rest are very trying.

Corinthia Towers are very nice, but also expensive!

Captain Volmer
1st Mar 2006, 08:42
Flying Aggie,
may I know the name and contact of the company you are going to fly in Lybia please?
Thanks

Treetopflyer
1st Mar 2006, 11:22
Hi Flying Aggie

Agree with the fact that the Corinthia is the only good hotel out there, but I guess your company will provide accomodation for you anyway.

If you are based in Tripoli, you may operate either from Tripoli Intl (HLLT) which is the main airport south of the city, quite far actually. Or from Mitiga (HLLM) which used to be a major US, then Libyan military base, located in the east suburbs of Tripoli. The latter is more laidback, they are trying to make it into a regional/corporate airport.

In HLLT you will find all the facilities of a large intl airport, while HLLM is more primitive. I seem to recall that it did not have an ILS, at least a few years back when I was there, and ATC was absolutely terrible.

Anyways, Libya is definitely not the funniest place on earth, but the people are quite nice. There are big remnants of the police state in their mentality, people seem to spy on each other and especially on foreigners, but I guess this will go away with time.

Fly safe,

-- TTF.