PDA

View Full Version : BMI Check-In and Boarding ID Question

Helo
28th Feb 2006, 08:09
Hi
I was wondering if any BMI staff could answer a question for me regarding passenger IDs?

The route is Edinburgh to London and I booked tickets online for me and my wife. While my ticket name is in the format of Mr Joe Bloggs, my wife's ticket is in the format of Ms Joe Bloggs. I obviously wasn't paying attention when I made the online booking because my wife uses her maiden name and she has no ID in the format of Ms Joe Bloggs. What an idiot, I know. I can, however, provide a marriage certificate to prove our link!

I will be able to pick up both e-tickets from the airport using my credit card by which both tickets were paid, but is there a final ID check upon boarding?

I've looked at the BMI terms and conditions which state that ....

For travel within the UK (including Belfast) there is no requirement to carry photographic ID. For international flights, each passenger must be able to present a passport and passengers travelling to Dublin or Cork must now provide either a passport or another type of photographic identification. Failure to provide the appropriate ID at check-in will render the passenger unacceptable for travel.

Call centre staff suggested that I talk to staff when I arrive at the airport, which isn't exactly helpful. I was careless when I made the booking and am content to pay for another ticket in my wife's name if necessary. The terms and conditions say photographic ID is not required, but what about other ID? Is it just required for the ticket purchaser to collect the ticket(s), or is it also required for both passengers?

Any advice from BMI staff (or similar) would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Helo

Crowe
28th Feb 2006, 12:35
Check in online, then why would you need ID for a domestic flight?

I often go on BA from MAN-LGW having checked in online and printed boarding pass, then the boarding pass is sufficient ID for the guy on security.

MyData
28th Feb 2006, 16:56
I'm not BMI staff but am a regular pax. Have never been asked for ID for a domestic flight (BMI or BA), although when I book tickets through the system at work the confirmation e-mail always states that I should take my passport as photo ID...

agent x
28th Feb 2006, 20:02
You *will* need to provide a credit card or something to that effect for each of you that is travelling for identification purposes if you use a check-in desk without bringing your comfirmation with you.

The alternative would be to bring a copy of your booking confirmation which should have a barcode printed in one corner and your booking reference in the other. You can scan this at the self service check in machine and it should check you both in no questions asked. Or bring your booking reference which you can also type into the main screen.

Basically you have a good chance, try not to highlight the fact that the names are wrong initially to anyone as it is only a domestic flight. In a worst case scenario you would have to buy a new ticket for the Mrs, but I think if you stick to the above advice you should be fine.

Or as Crowe said...just check in online, there would be no problem at all as no further ID would be compared to the online boarding pass you print at home. Oh...and Helo...one more thing.....don't do it again naughty!!

Agent X

Avman
28th Feb 2006, 20:52
Do I spot a security flaw here then? :E

WHBM
1st Mar 2006, 16:08
Do I spot a security flaw here then?
No.

BA, BMI and other domestic operators do not have the "show photo-ID" requirements of the low cost carriers. I have never been asked for this on their domestic flights. This is a revenue protection matter, NOT security related, to overcome businesses buying lots of cheap tickets on the low-costs a month beforehand then sending whoever they want on the day.

Of course if it was described like that it would be open to challenge so it's all dressed up as security.

Avman
1st Mar 2006, 18:24
So, as I understand it, it IS a security flaw then! Never mind the reason, if I/D is not checked on domestic flights that could be exploited by the bad guys. Incidentally, the same applies to flights between schengen countries where I've noticed that there's no cross checking of ticketed name with pax I/D.

WHBM
2nd Mar 2006, 08:58
So, as I understand it, it IS a security flaw then!
Nonsense. Whatever possible security benefit comes from turning away genuine travellers who can't comply with some bureaucratic process ?

Meanwhile the 9/11 terrorists all had immaculately matching ID, of course.

spanishflea
2nd Mar 2006, 10:20
So, as I understand it, it IS a security flaw then! Never mind the reason, if I/D is not checked on domestic flights that could be exploited by the bad guys. Incidentally, the same applies to flights between schengen countries where I've noticed that there's no cross checking of ticketed name with pax I/D.

OK imagine the scenario. Legitimate pax checks in for domestic flight with correct ID. Passes the boarding card to baddy man. Baddy man gets on the aeroplane instead of the booked pax.

What can baddy man do now, that legit pax couldnt do if he went through instead? They would both have to go through security, so I dont understand the problem.

The ONLY threat it has, as WHBM said already, is to airlines who could make £25 out of a name change.

agent x
2nd Mar 2006, 18:13
Oh for gods sake Avman. Last time I went airside to domestics there were security staff...who infact....x-ray peoples bags, search peoples bags, and search the people as they go thru. Don't know what you have at your airport but security points are usually a standard feature in both international AND D O M E S T I C terminals:rolleyes: They also take a photograph of the pax and stick a barcode to their boarding card. So...pax is completely screened and photo'd and then barcode on boarding card is scanned at gate...face appears on a screen..compared to passenger with boarding card and pax gets on which makes the persons face their very own form of ID. And the security staff are there to stop 'Mr Axe Wielding Maniac baddy man from getting airside either at all..or without his requisite axe, gun, bomb, kit of evil doing....

...what was that about a security flaw....? [SILENCE]

TotalBeginner
2nd Mar 2006, 19:57
They also take a photograph of the pax and stick a barcode to their boarding card. So...pax is completely screened and photo'd and then barcode on boarding card is scanned at gate...face appears on a screen..compared to passenger with boarding card and pax gets on

Which airport is that?

Final 3 Greens
2nd Mar 2006, 20:49
I've been photo'd at LGW and MAN.

Best Western
2nd Mar 2006, 21:29
If you check-in using the self service machines you get a brown boarding pass, which is checked at the gate against a passport/id

If you person check-in your passport is checked there, and you are given a blue boarding pass. At the gate in Heathrow they tend not to check your passport. Outstations are much more strict.

(My first post in years on pprune.)

zed3
4th Mar 2006, 09:19
The photocheck is at MAN just before security where they check the boarding cards , saw it yesterday but used the electronic check-in for DUS and didn't get the barcode sticker - still wanted us in the photoframe though .

Avman
4th Mar 2006, 10:36
This may well be the case at your airport, which I suspect is probably one of the majors, agent x. Do you honestly believe that all airports in Europe are so equipped? I continue to advocate that a final security (x-ray) and I/D check should be performed at the gate, both for international and domestic flights.

Halfwayback
4th Mar 2006, 17:02
Avman
You, like many others, may think that an ID cross-chsck at the boarding gate is a good thing but at present there is no UK government requirement to do that for domestic flights.

As has been pointed out earlier in this thread.the lo-co's do it to prevent fraud.

HWB

TotalBeginner
4th Mar 2006, 22:40
I've never understood the requirement not to have an ID check at the boarding gate. It completely contradicts AAA proceedures, because you cannot be certain that the person who handed over their luggage at check-in, is the person who will accompany it on the flight.

Avman
5th Mar 2006, 08:55
Halfwayback.

Yes, I understand the point you make as to why the LCCs do it. I'm just making a general point that gate controls should take place for ALL flights. I have travelled out of airports where gate controls are made and this was not on LCCs. Furthermore, you are correct by stating that there's no government requirement. Ah, so everything's alright then. Silly me, I should trust the government more shouldn't I :hmm:

Totalbeginner.

Precisely, among other finer little points.

I don't understand why some of you other guys above are so anti regarding gate controls. Nothing's 100% foolproof I grant you. But it all helps.