View Full Version : Crewing Interview

Enigma76
28th Feb 2006, 07:56
I have an interview on Monday in Crewing and wondered if anyone can give me some tips. Little bit nervous as never had an interview before I kind of fell into my current job. :eek:

no sig
28th Feb 2006, 09:41
You might start by ensuring you have some appreciation of what airline crewing is about. To that end, start with reading your flight time limitations section 7 of your ops manual or CAP371 ( you can find it on the CAA publications website if you don't have an ops manual at home). Also, talk with the other crewing people if you can.

İt is first and foremost about ensuring that operational control is exercised and crews are kept within the limitations of your company's FTL scheme, not CAP371 as many believe- although it has to be said, that many schemes are very close to CAP371. How your company does all of the above is the on the job side of your training. But, as other crewing people will attest İ am sure, it is also about your ability to deal with people, sometimes in difficult and stressful situations, keeping a sense of perspective and of course, sticking to the rules- that keeps us safe.

Enigma76
28th Feb 2006, 10:38
Thanks for the advice.:ok:

ShinjukuHustler
3rd Mar 2006, 14:09
Hope it's not the FR crew con job lol..lol...lmao...lmfao!!
Or as we say...Ya bin wurned !

S.H

Enigma76
4th Mar 2006, 10:39
Hope it's not the FR crew con job lol..lol...lmao...lmfao!!
Or as we say...Ya bin wurned !

S.H

Thanks for the very positive and useful advice????!!!!!...

Mmmmm

cavortingcheetah
4th Mar 2006, 13:00
:eek:

Let's see if I can give you some help from the other side of the fence.

Get to grips with CAP 371. It is very important to know it backwards. I think that you will find that CAP 371 is a baseline which sets out a minimum. No company's Ops Manual may go below that minimum and were it to do so, should not have been approved by the CA in the first place. Such deviation should be brought to the attention of the airline's CAA Ops Inspector.
However, CAP 371 is cleverly open to a degree of interpretation and Ops will always interpolate the interpretation to the detriment of the Flight Crew.
Your job in Crewing, (not Rostering) will be to think rapidly on your feet, to juggle many balls in the air at any one time and above all, to argue with and convince Captains on the telephone, that they should heed your interpretation of duty time limitations and not theirs. Basically you are out to screw the crew for the company.
Forethought and planning would be a useful attribute to develop. On a day like today when snow is forecast. obtain the long range forecasts for the destinations and alternates serviced by your company before you turn up for work. That way you'll see weather trouble coming before you get there.
Get to grips with the MEL and befriend the poor engineers so that you have some grasp of a go/no go item and the parameters which affect it.
Be kind to Flight Crews. Mollycoddle them. Suggest to the Captain of a crew that is going in to discretion that they take a twenty minute loo or coffee break. They will love you for it. Try and stay ahead of some of the crews' personal problems. The hostesses especially can have very complex family and social lives and beware of getting in the way of a mother who has to retrieve her child from play school or take it to the doctor. Learn who is apt to pull a sicky so that you can plan ahead. Be warned that your shift may not end when it's meant to if the proverbial hits the old whirly thingy.
Many Captains have certain catch phrases that really annoy them. I used to know 371 inside out and had contacts at the CAA/LGW who backed me up.
Avoid unnecessarily upsetting Captain down the line by using phrases that might be inflammatory to that individual but not to another. By the same token, find out who amongst the crews are the flying lawyers and beware of them.
You have to be a foresighted, kind and considerate, diplomatic, knowledgable
subtle bastard to do well in crewing and you also have to gain some degree of respect from the crews. This means a little give and take in reality but your prospective company may not wish to hear that you might give as well as take?
You need to keep a little black book in which you detail the foibles of as many crew members as you can. That way you'll best be able to deal with them successfully and earn their respect and gratitude and, of course, the adoration of the company for which you will have worked miracles.

I hope that this gives you something upon which to ponder as Monday approaches. In my experiences throughout the world, crewing and crews are usually at loggerheads. I suggest that you read Machiavelli (The Prince) rather than going out on the razzle. He He He! :E

Enigma76
4th Mar 2006, 14:41
I was actually looking for some positive advice on just an interview.

I'm looking forward to the prospect of working in this environment and I am going into this with an open mind and a very positive attitude, but errmm..... thanks!!?

cavortingcheetah
4th Mar 2006, 15:05
:\
I fear that Mmmmms and Errmmms may not draw interview plaudits. The pointers are in the heavens. A copy of CAP 371 under your arm, a demonstrable knowledge of that publication and the ability to demonstrate that one has a general understanding of the big picture might be a better start.
Suggest reference to aspects of big picture outlined at 14.00Z?:{

Enigma76
4th Mar 2006, 15:43
I have quite a lot of info on the job itself and the FTL scheme. As I've already said I'm after positive advice not politics. Every company has it's politics and I'm quite prepared for that. Your advice is anything but helpful.

cavortingcheetah
4th Mar 2006, 16:42
:bored:

There's a convoluted pretty compliment for you sirrah! Ah well, so be it!
The best of luck in the endeavour to hand.
No manner of advice could permeate such impaludism as I encounter here, where best intentions are but met with sneers and scorn.
I take nonetheless, the liberty of posting this short missive from the Gods above- perchance below, for edification, amusement and for aught I know, a night of most delicious slumber.
To whit:
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=22
There's a pretty foible too! One that one may come to rue who knows it not through and through!
Be not a Huff Snuff lest thou find those qualities too ready for this, thy job at hand! Truly art thou well suited for the ordeals to come as best befits a crewer of the ships that cross the stars. Such shortness of humour is well suited to the task?
If Machiavelli tempts you not then prithee, prithee, kind sir, learn the comedy of Aristophanes's
'Frogs.'

Toodle Pip.
Good fortune to all!
What!:E