PDA

View Full Version : BIG BROTHER TESCO - NOT!!!!!

TOT
28th Feb 2006, 07:29
http://www.thisispontypool.co.uk/pontypool/news/NEWS0.html

tilewood
28th Feb 2006, 07:41
Well I hope Morrisons don't introduce this system. The length of time
I have to wait at check-out means I would be fined after
each visit to my local store. :hmm:

ShyTorque
28th Feb 2006, 08:46
As far as I know, it's not illegal to cover up a vehicle number plate on private property.......

I spent nearly twenty years in the armed forces being told that this sort of thing was what we were fighting against, to preserve the "Freedom of the West" against a terrible "Big Brother" system. Now it's here, with a vengeance. :*

During official visits to East Berlin, a big thing was made about cameras on street corners. Now they are everywhere.

We'll soon all be tagged at birth with a microchip, like criminals or dogs.

One more thing - is such a fine legally sustainable, in any case? What happens if an individual refuses to pay up?

Krystal n chips
28th Feb 2006, 10:57
Well I hope Morrisons don't introduce this system. The length of time
I have to wait at check-out means I would be fined after
each visit to my local store. :hmm:

I think you can relax here--with regard to Morrisons at least --the next quantum leap in technology will be the introduction of the Abacus for this lot !!---so cameras and such modern new fangled technology are still some decades off.

However, the Tesco issue is far more worrying. Tesco have an image of basically "we are who we are and we will do what we want "--although I did read that, due to an "oversight", when they built the new store in Stockport it was "larger than intended" :hmm: --and now, after a lot of argument, they have cordoned off part of the store to, er, comply with the original design:rolleyes: However, if they can get the info from the DVLA, who else can ?--and who has access to this from Tesco as well ?. A certain invasion of privacy issue comes to mind here does it not ?

On the other hand--should be fun for the population of Altrincham / Hale etc who use the adjacent store and Sainsbury's to park whilst they "just pop into Manchester " on the Metro-link --and find a nice letter in the post as a result:E :ok:

teeteringhead
28th Feb 2006, 11:31
But how on earth would the fines work in practice??

Lon More
28th Feb 2006, 12:35
Maybe the Tesco heiress is still struggling to pay her fines

from Caledonia;
In December 2001, the House of Lords ordered Dame Shirley Porter, the disgraced former leader of Westminster City Council, to pay £27 million in surcharges to the London local authority as a result of a "votes for homes" scam she was found guilty of. The council obtained a court order seizing her assets worldwide. But Dame Shirley claimed she only had assets worth £300,000, which came as something of a surprise given that she was the daughter of Jack Cohen, the founder of the Tesco supermarket chain. In 1991 her share portfolio recorded that she owned £5 million in Tesco shares, and more recently, at the time The Sunday Times Rich List was published, claimed she was worth about £70 million.

So what happened to her "disappeared" millions? We may have found some of it. At one time Dame Shirley owned substantial land holdings in Scotland, three lots of land purchased as part of the tax-driven forestry scandal of the early 1980s. In one week in June 1988, all three holdings were sold to Oakum Association Ltd for a total of £620,000.

Oakum Association Ltd is a company registered in the British Virgin Islands with a box office address in Geneva, Switzerland. No one knows whether that is a company owned by Dame Shirley or members of her family or whether it is another anonymous land speculator.

The plots were sold by Oakum Association Ltd in January, February and June 2002 to a variety of buyers. There is, of course, nothing to link Oakum to Dame Shirley Porter. We will never know whether the Sitka spruce was sold or simply transferred to disguise true ownership until the time came for disposal.

A BBC investigation earlier this year also linked Dame Shirley to Whitecoat Investments Ltd and the Sunset Trading Company, both registered in the tax haven of the British Virgin Islands.

Unable to trace her wealth, Westminster Council have so far only managed to recover £7,000 of the £27 million owed to it by Dame Shirley, and don’t think going down blind financial alleys in the British Virgin Islands is a priority for the council.

chiglet
28th Feb 2006, 12:44
Krystal,
I was in Stockport Tesco last night....no cordons visible :E
watp,iktch

got caught
28th Feb 2006, 12:57
should be fun for the population of Altrincham / Hale etc who use the adjacent store and Sainsbury's to park whilst they "just pop into Manchester " on the Metro-link

'fraid its nout to do with the corporates' they're controlled by those Bastions(sp) of efficient public spending....TRAFFORD COUNCIL:ugh:

VP959
28th Feb 2006, 13:03
Methinks a jolly jape would be to drive into the car park as normal, letting the cameras record the no. plate details. Before leaving, one could cover the plates up, so confusing the system into thinking you are still in there.

After a few visits where the same car goes in but never comes out I might expect the system to throw a wobbly.............

VP

patdavies
28th Feb 2006, 13:06
But how on earth would the fines work in practice??

They are regarded as a civil debt for breach of contract and have to be pursued via the small claims court. The contract is formed by 'implied acceptance'. This means that if you park there, you agree to abide by the conditions displayed - there are various arguments about the visibility of the signs etc.

Practically, ignore it and any follow up threatrning letter/visits and demand that they apply via the courts

Krystal n chips
28th Feb 2006, 14:16
Krystal,
I was in Stockport Tesco last night....no cordons visible :E
watp,iktch

Quelle surprise there then ! ----just wondered how they will get around the "problem" given that the excuse was that the extra bit was "not in a retail area" only in the "storage area" :hmm: :rolleyes:

Not to mention "Death Alley" at the Portwood roundabout of course !:mad:

phnuff
28th Feb 2006, 14:24
"Methinks a jolly jape would be to drive into the car park as normal, letting the cameras record the no. plate details. Before leaving, one could cover the plates up, so confusing the system into thinking you are still in there."

I like that although knowing Tescoi, Gauntanamo Bay could be beckoning

acbus1
28th Feb 2006, 18:07
What about Tesco Clubcard bonus points for those in and out quickly! :}

As long as that don't introduce a barrier/ticket system like some Sainsbury's.

Does my head in.

1 - Take your ticket, received at the barrier, in store with you (if you f*****g remember) so you can....

2 - Get it validated at the checkout (if you f*****g manage to remember amidst the chaos)

3 - Put it through the machine outside (if you f*****g remember, again). No idea what the machine does, but I ain't experimenting.

4 - Filter into the queue for the barrier, cleverly situated so that anyone who's ticket doesn't work can't do a u-turn, thereby causing a complete jamming of the whole car park until help arrives.

Mind you, I do like a good jamming session.

Saintsman
28th Feb 2006, 19:05
However, if they can get the info from the DVLA, who else can :

I wrote to the DVLA about this. They said if it is in the public interest and the correct fee is paid then they can release your details.

Apparently parking offences are 'in the public interest'. What is strange though is that you can't get details on potential child killers because it breaches the data protection act. But then again, its obviously not in the public interest :hmm:

G-CPTN
28th Feb 2006, 19:28
We have the same system at our local new Tesco Superstore, although our limit is THREE hours, however, at least one (now pissed-off) customer has had the warning letter (again because he made two visits on the same day). It seems that Tesco need to review their system as it seems to be ignoring 'time out'. Our (Tory) MP has taken-up the (outrageous) system by which Tesco (or their agents) are supplied driver's names and addresses. The general opinion is that this is 'out of all reason', and especially so if they are getting their facts wrong. One wonders what defence one would have (or need) in order to dispute their findings, and how they would enforce this 'fine'. I doubt that their technology allows for vehicles to be refused access, and denying customers access to the store would seem to be OTT.

BALIX
28th Feb 2006, 20:01
Our local Morrisons has a sign up stating that the car park is free for two hours and only then to Morrisons customers. Being a small ex-Safeway in a small town with big Tescos and Asdas in nearby towns, the car park NEVER gets full except, perhaps, on Christmas eve.

Still doesn't stop the local Nazi party (aka Euro Car Parks) sending round their geriatric stormtroopers to religiously take down every number. :*

ChrisVJ
28th Feb 2006, 20:20
Your parking guys are all just sissies.

Park overtime by five minutes here and when you come back your car might be gone. Private towing companies take it for ransom and good luck with trying not to pay. Since their revenue depends on the number of tows they are keen enough.

They are also the guys who come out when you call for help. Amazing how nice and helpful, and often reasonable, they can be on those occasions!