PDA

View Full Version : Quotes

henry crun
27th Feb 2006, 20:19
Can anyone tell me why there is this recent rash of quoting previous posts ?

If the reply refers to something two of three pages back fair enough, by all means make a short reference to what the reply is about.
Now we have people quoting large sections of, or complete posts, when theirs is the next post or it refers to something on the same page !
For heavens sake, do they imagine the person they are replying to will have forgotten what they said ?

What is wrong with the way it used to be, where a reply was just addressed to the relevant person ?

SyllogismCheck
27th Feb 2006, 20:35
Give the people a button and they're sure to press is.

I agree though, hc. Quote the appropriate line if it's required for clarity, no more.

I'm sure it's those who lack in mental capacity who quote excessively. They're unable to remember what's posted 2cm up the page themselves so, by application of the full weakness of their tiny mind, conclude that everyone else needs the same spoon-fed reminder they do. :hmm:

Ha! Beat the obligatory spoof quoter of hc's post to it! :zzz:

EDDNHopper
27th Feb 2006, 21:19
I'm sure it's those who lack in mental capacity who quote excessively.

Sorry, I had to...

Of course you are right, h.c.!

Capn Notarious
28th Feb 2006, 12:15
It's all part of a worldwide trend by the ignorant and semieducated to try to cheapen everything and drag everyone down to their level of incompetence and/or mediocrity.
So wrote Mac The Knife
I would like to produce a quote like that.

BlueDiamond
28th Feb 2006, 12:22
I commented on this a couple of weeks ago after seeing an entire post "quoted" by the poster immediately below. If the post to which you refer is on the same page, there's just no need, otherwise, simply quote the line or phrase relevant to your own comment. Even if the "quote" button is used, the result can still be edited down to size.