PDA

View Full Version : RAF Crash Categories

MMEMatty
27th Feb 2006, 13:46
Hi All,

Not in the mil, however i'm currently writing my dissertation on Airport Safety and Security, and was wondering if anyone could describe the RAF "Crash Category" system to me, i.e. how its defined, what coverage it affords each aircraft, how it ties in with the ICAO Standards when landing away from military airfields, etc.

I've looked on most search engines, the RAF website etc. and found nothing. Wondered if anyone out there could help?

Cheers

Matt

Safety_Helmut
27th Feb 2006, 14:13
MMEMatty

Iedited now that ORAC has pointed out my stupidity below.

Safety_Helmut

ORAC
27th Feb 2006, 14:27
Hmm, I thought he was looking for the RAF airfield crash category definitions, based on number of fire vehicles/ambulances etc and the corresponding restrictions on aircraft operations. Size of aircraft, number of crew/pax etc.

rej
27th Feb 2006, 15:06
MMEMatty

If you can get your hands on a copy of the RAF Flight Information Pulblication called the BINA (British Isles and Northern Europe) you will find quite a bit of information in that. If you do not have a 'contact' who can pass one on to you, I suggest that you look on ebay (the book is red in colour and will probably only set you back a few quid).

Good luck

rej

Rev I. Tin
27th Feb 2006, 15:39
Matt,

PM me and I give you the transport side of things.

16 blades
27th Feb 2006, 17:04
Ever since the crash cat definitions were revised a few years ago, there has been no direct read-across between our crash cats and ICAO. It's a problem we're aware of and are still working on, but I believe it has something to do with 'Water on Wheels' vs foam producing capacity, or some such. So it's not an easy question to answer.

16B