PDA

View Full Version : Where do i go next?

Vibes
27th Feb 2006, 12:51
Hi guys,

Just want to inquire as to whether is it worth going overseas just to take up a degree programme that involves flying.I'm really keen on being an airline pilot with any far eastern airline ( SQ,CX,MH ),hence I'm kind of "stuck" in a situation now.After browsing through the web,both Massey university ( Bachelor in Aviation ) and Embry-RIddle university ( Bachelor in Aerospace Science) tops my list.Both of them has their advantages,but which one should I really choose?I've already have my diploma in aeronautical engineering and am now serving national service,so i guess I've got some time to think over.Really appreciate if you guys could give me some pointers as most of you here are professionals in the aviation industry....

Best Regards,
Vibes

Thermal Image
27th Feb 2006, 15:10
Hi guys,
Just want to inquire as to whether is it worth going overseas just to take up a degree programme that involves flying.I'm really keen on being an airline pilot with any far eastern airline ( SQ,CX,MH ),hence I'm kind of "stuck" in a situation now.After browsing through the web,both Massey university ( Bachelor in Aviation ) and Embry-RIddle university ( Bachelor in Aerospace Science) tops my list.Both of them has their advantages,but which one should I really choose?I've already have my diploma in aeronautical engineering and am now serving national service,so i guess I've got some time to think over.Really appreciate if you guys could give me some pointers as most of you here are professionals in the aviation industry....
Best Regards,
Vibes

Here is the brutal truth:

Since you have stated that you want to become an airline pilot for a Far Eastern airline, you may like to know that BOTH places you mentioned, while they may give you a rich learning experience (in exchange for lots of money), will grant you only a few token credits towards an ATPL here in Singapore.

Anecdotal evidence is that graduands of Massey and Emery-Riddle have had to re-do ALL their ATPL subjects at the Singapore Flying College, with maybe a few exemptions for other subjects.

As to how your degree / licence will be recognised by the relevant authorities in other countries, I do not know. As to where a Singaporean will rank, with a freshly minted foreign ATPL, with all of 200+ hours against local applicants, I would estimate your chances of employment at being near the bottom. Almost zero. Of course I could be wrong.

If your priority is the degree, go ahead and spend the money. But if you are after the licence, why spend all that money only to have CAAS tell you to do it again at the SFC? Why not spend a fraction of that money to do a local / Malaysian PPL to demonstrate interest in flying to increase your chances of being selected as a cadet pilot when you turn 26?

Hopefully someone with experience from Massey / Emery Riddle will tell you their story?

huckleberry58
27th Feb 2006, 16:58
Local Singaporeans that do their aviation degree at Massey are able to sit their Singapore ATPL's in New Zealand, examined by CAAS. If they then apply and are accepted as cadet pilots for SIA they will start training on the Learjet and will not have to go through Seletar and Jandakot assuming they are still IFR current. If not, then they will have to get current. Usually this means a trip back to NZ. I would suggest you contact CAAS for more information if you're really keen.
There is no such provision if you decide to fly at Embry-Riddle, or any other US outfit.
If you prefer to 'fast track' it, you may like to consider afew private lessons at a flying school and possibly obtaining a PPL. This will greatly help you... for the flying part at least. But for that to be of any use you will have to apply and pass the cadet pilot interview which is no mean feat in itself! Good luck! :ok:

Vibes
28th Feb 2006, 13:12
Hi guys,

First and foremost,I really appreciate all the advice that you've all given me so far...Thanx guys.My main priority now is to get a degree though.I intend to make the degree worthwhile as in I really want to take up a degree that has flying included in its syllabus( I intend to built up on the flying hours ).As of now,I'm fully aware that going to the Embry-Riddle means that I'll lose out in terms of the ATPL( as it's not recognised by CAAS),however,going over there means more opportunities as I'll be most likely exposed to well known aerospace companies i.e Boeing...But if I were to go to Massey instead,I'll be obtaining a license that's recognised by SIA and at the same time,I'll be more likely to employed by them.However,this doesn't open that much doors to me as opposed to goin over to Embry-Riddle.Basically,to put it in simple terms,either way gives me advantages and disadvantages.Problem now is that I can't really make up my mind :( I really really want to do flying but at the same time,I want to keep my options open too...Really appreciate if you guys can give me some advice.Thanx! :)

Best Regards,
Vibes

cochise
3rd Mar 2006, 15:41
Singapore doesn't seem to view the Amercian system too highly. I'm not sure why. I have both FAA and CAA licenses and the CAA was time consuming and I really haven't used too much of the information from a practical standpoint. The FAA system is a lot more practical but is frowned upon by many other Aviation Authorities.
I have a friend that went to riddle and from what he has told me the business degrees at riddle seem to be the best option. Mind you that the university on a whole has been falling down the ranks within the US. I would suggest something in either Australia or the UK when you have to deal with the Asian Aviation Authorities. I'm not sure if Oxford offers any degrees...