View Full Version : No French, No service

click
27th Feb 2006, 11:22
Hmmmm, tabernac, where's Jerricho? We need a translator in Cornwall:E
http://www.cbc.ca/toronto/story/to_french20060221.html?ref=rss
Woman fights French-only policy at health centre
Last updated Feb 21 2006 12:11 PM EST
CBC News
A woman in Cornwall who was turned away from a government-funded health centre for not speaking French is demanding that it open its doors to her.
Shirley Ravary says she was denied medical attention at the Centre de santé Communautaire de l'Estrie, which provides health services primarily to the French-speaking population.
"I couldn't believe it because I've lived in Cornwall all my life," said Ravary. "There is French people, but they also offer you services in English, or they can talk to you in English."
For weeks, Ravary struggled with a bad cold. She finally decided to visit a clinic last week.
She normally sees her doctor at his own practice, but since he also works at the health centre, she decided to drop in there.
When she tried to make an appointment, she was turned down.
The centre insists it is not a walk-in clinic and requires registration by patients. One prerequisite is patients must speak French.
Marc Bisson, executive director of the centre, says the facility has the right to reject Ravary's request to see her doctor.
"The thing is, I'm funded to do the target population," said Bisson. "If I let everyone in without taking care of language issues and things like that, it will be francophones at the end who won't have the services they were supposed to have."
Bisson denies any charge of discrimination, because the woman was able to attend an English-speaking clinic instead.
The Ontario Ministry of Health says if the situation is non-urgent, specialized centres such as the one in Cornwall have the right to turn patients away.

Rainboe
27th Feb 2006, 11:43
I skimmed over the Canada connection and then was very perplexed about these funny goings on in Cornwall! Funny I thought! Is there are French enclave in Cornwall? They need to speak French to get into the clinic? They can't even speak English down there (I've been to see Jethro- I know!). Then I was thinking 'well we are 'Great Britain', ie not 'Great' as in 'Marvellous' but 'Great' as in 'Great Brittany' or 'A large separate part of Brittany, France' (certainly not 'Great' as in 'good skiers'), but I thought this a bit steep even for those poor folks down in Cornwall who admittedly aren't the brightest lightbulbs in the house, and it must be a dashed Frenchy plot to get one over on the Anglos again.

Why didn't you say earlier it was Canada for goodness sake?

Onan the Clumsy
27th Feb 2006, 12:12
I thought it must have been the Channel Isles or something :*

G-CPTN
27th Feb 2006, 12:49
I too assumed that the goodly folk of Cornwall, England had provided for the Bretons.

Funny old world.

Je voudrais s'il je coudrais, mais je cannais pas!

click
27th Feb 2006, 12:49
I thought that the 'CBC' made it blatantly obvious. Not the BBC....but the CBC. Besides, who would've thought it that the English would name their towns after Canadian places:E
After all, there is only one true London and it's CYXU:}
Yeah yeah, post something like this on a European forum and.... I'll go hide now.:eek:
BTW, I used to buy my smokes from the Injuns at Cornwall....in Canada, North America....the other side of the Atlantic...north of the 49th parallel....east of Toronto..west of Montreal...by lake Ontario...:E

angels
27th Feb 2006, 12:52
Gotta go with click there. It was the 'toronto' in the URL and the plea to Jerricho which was the giveaway for me.

Having multimapped the place, I note that Potsdam, Canton and Winchester are all close by!

Jerricho
27th Feb 2006, 14:03
I've been to Cornwall (Nav Canada has their training "institute" there) and it sure is an interesting place. Nestled on the borders with Quebec and New York

A place where the natives smuggle cigarettes across the St Lawrence river from the states, when it freezes over. A place where houses along the shoreline get riddled with bullets by said natives when the local law enforcement tries to stop them. I remember hearing somewhere it has the highest incidence of sexual abuse per capita in Canada. It also as Canada's oldest jail.

Not many people know that.

Gordon Fraser
27th Feb 2006, 14:52
Many towns in Europe are named after towns in Ontario. Some years ago, the great London/Paris air race was re-run - London, Ontario to Paris, Ontario - a total distance of about 50 miles. Most entrants were microlights

G-CPTN
27th Feb 2006, 15:36
We've got a 'Moscow' near us. Strangely, although long established, it's in a 'sensitive' area (where rocket development was carried out, and where 'electronic warfare' is practised nowadays). RAF Spadeadam http://www.bunkertours.co.uk/spadeadam.htm

acbus1
28th Feb 2006, 06:02
Ravary struggled with a bad cold
Pity it wasn't for Dutch speakers only.....she'd have been admitted without knowing a word. :ugh:

Farmer 1
28th Feb 2006, 09:05
I often pass by New York. It's a village in Lincolnshire. Bet it won't be too long before the Yanks decide to copy the name.

Buster Hyman
28th Feb 2006, 09:13
I live near Dallas...in MEL. Right between Bethel & Coolaroo!

click
28th Feb 2006, 09:27
We used to use Brantford as one of our destinations for the PPL candidates and Paris, Ontario was the set heading point on departure. If the wind was more than 10 kts, there was a very good chance that our student would get blown off course.......directly over African Lion Safari. This would be just the right time for the poor fella to start fumbling with the maps, the 200mph finger snaking over the chart and cold sweat starting to form on the forehead. Certain sadists among us (moi excluded of course:E ) would wait until directly overhead the safari and then ask? Where d'phuck are we? There's a GIRAFFE/MONKEY/LION down there, YOU got us to AFRICA you numbskull!

angels
28th Feb 2006, 09:34
When I (briefly) spent some time hurling myself out of hairyplanes for fun the primary hazard near my 'drome (Ashford, Kent) was a wildlife park.

If you drifted off and landed in the thing the advice was to crawl under your chute and keep quiet and await rescue by the armed game wardens.

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Feb 2006, 10:21
A crowd of insane Swiss used to come out to South Africa every year for the annual SwissBoogie in Phalaborwa. Using a C130, they've managed to drop an upright piano, assorted bicycles and a number of footballs into the Kruger Park, not to mention a few of themselves...:E

Capn Notarious
28th Feb 2006, 11:07
Specify the make and model of Piano. Don't put yourself at risk by opening the lid, Justin Case {polite fellow} anything dangerous has crawled inside. {Speshially a mongoose fed on Vegimite}

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Feb 2006, 12:28
Couldn't say the make and model, Cap'n N. One would have purely admired to be in the vicinity when the beast pigged in though. The noise would have been something to write home about.....:ok:

Capn Notarious
28th Feb 2006, 12:44
A cacophony rather than a symphony.:D

The SSK
28th Feb 2006, 12:46
I often pass by New York. It's a village in Lincolnshire. Bet it won't be too long before the Yanks decide to copy the name.

There's a New York in Geordieland too. There used to be a platform in the Whitley Bay bus station from which the service ran there, it was also used for the big town and the long-distance service to the smoke, the destination board read
Newcastle
London
New York