PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to pave way for more 747 flights

Buster Hyman
27th Feb 2006, 01:26
Monday February 27, 12:48 PM

The Canberra International Airport will soon be open to frequent 747 flights with the Federal Government announcing a multi-million dollar upgrade of its main runway.

The airport has a limit on the number of large flights it can accommodate because of the strength of its main runway.

Federal Transport Minister Warren Truss says the Government will spend $28 million to enable the runway to take heavier aircraft.

"There will be quite a number of these aircraft coming into Australia, they're required here for operational purposes, with visiting dignitaries and their entourages or for military purposes," he said.

The airport's Stephen Byron says the upgrade also coincides with a plan to lengthen the runway.

"We believe that will assist us in terms of the development of new routes into and out of Canberra," he said.

The work will be carried out at night and is expected to be ready in time for the 2007 APEC meeting.

BBJ's not big enough huh?;) :p

john_tullamarine
27th Feb 2006, 01:42
.. did they mention anything about bulldozing the hills which will be the limiting factor for RTOW ?

Buster Hyman
27th Feb 2006, 02:12
Nah, but I'm sure we could get something done to the airspace to alleviate the problem!;) :ouch:

Sunfish
27th Feb 2006, 02:36
Let me guess, 747 executive jets for John Howard? Maybe he could buy a second hand "Airforce One?". Pardon me, my cynicism is showing again.

CIA Stooge
27th Feb 2006, 02:51
Why would he want to buy a callsign SunFish?
Don't knock this - the airport have got a real win here and the Gvmt have paid for it :) Snowie is popping the champers as we speak!

18-Wheeler
27th Feb 2006, 04:21
Monday February 27, 12:48 PM
The Canberra International Airport will soon be open to frequent 747 flights with the Federal Government announcing a multi-million dollar upgrade of its main runway.

Good.
The mob I fly for use Canberra as a technical alternate. It'd be nice if could really use it though, as when we really need a practical alternate we have to use either MEL or BNE.
And some of the turkeys I work with can't understand what a tech alternate is anyway.

Sunfish
27th Feb 2006, 05:21
So it's a good move then from the point of view of using it as an alternate, and not for LJH's new executive jet? I have once more demonstrated my complete lack of aviational nous.:}

Like This - Do That
27th Feb 2006, 06:07
And taxiway strengthening too? Or the good old Aussie el cheapo turning node and backtrack?

chief wiggum
27th Feb 2006, 09:07
I have once more demonstrated my complete lack of aviational nous.:}

yes, you have. seems to be more and more of an occurrance recently.

Isn't CB a privately owned airport ?

Ex Douglas Driver
27th Feb 2006, 09:08
So... confirm that the government is paying for the runway lengthening, but Canberra Airport Limited will pocket all the landing and handling charges for the increased weight traffic? This seems like a great deal for a private company....

In my limited dealing with operations at Canberra, I know the RAAF was having kittens with the landing and parking charges being imposed. The area we were using had previously been RAAF Fairbairn's tarmac, and was transferred to Canberra Airport for nil charge. Like good capitalists, they were making a killing renting it back. The result: no more high speed taxi services.

CIA Stooge
27th Feb 2006, 21:39
Driver - the airport is paying for the lengthening - ie the extension to the south. Yesterdays announcement related to the strenghthening which is being paid for by the government - ie building extra depth on the runway.

john_tullamarine
27th Feb 2006, 21:51
Problem with extending to the south is that the saddle to the north is still going to present a significant problem unless the extension is significant and the use of overspeed schedules becomes the norm.