PDA

View Full Version : How many AN and KD pilots still out of work?

Java
2nd Dec 2001, 01:53
Just wondering how many pilots from Ansett and Kendell are still not flying?

Sly'n Smiley
2nd Dec 2001, 03:49
Basically, most. Quite a few guys have left the industry altogether. And I'm not talking about 'scabs'(for the information of those who are interested in such things), I mean younger FOs. It would seem that there is little reward in aviation these days as the various powers reduce the industry to a high teck. taxi-truck operation. It is tragic that the industry will lose this resource of experience and enthusiasm. There are a small number of ex-AN/KD pilots who have been successful in getting a contract with QF and Air Narau and some doing RFDS work on B200s in Melb, so I hear. About 6-8 have gone to SQ and a few younger Capts. awaiting contracts at SilkAir. Me? Working in a hospital pushing trollies and wheelchairs(and taking the occasional stiff to the morgue). I have applied for 25 flying jobs so far. Nothing yet.Pity.I feel that I have somthing to offer. Smart blokes entering the industry would ensure that they have a fall back qualification. :(

[ 02 December 2001: Message edited by: Sly'n Smiley ]

rescue 1
2nd Dec 2001, 12:32
Too many!!

backspace
3rd Dec 2001, 02:23
600 Ansett if you include those that have applied for redundansy and 150 Kendell, all off the CRJ operation. :(

Java
3rd Dec 2001, 02:53
When Ansett Mark II get going properly next year, does anyone know how many of the pilots out of work, will be taken on?

EPIRB
3rd Dec 2001, 06:55
Around 350 to 380 total.

Java
29th Aug 2002, 16:39
G'Day

Just thought I would bring this back to the top since it has been 9 months since I posted it.

Cheers

KaptinZZ
29th Aug 2002, 23:44
Good idea Java.

It seems that, whilst I don't have accurate numbers, there would be hundreds in work. QF have taken a lot, including a 49 yo (former A320 CC) as a SO. Also a few in their mid 40s, but most in mid 30s.

Emirates is taking a lot of younger FOs, and I know of at least a dozen.

Virgin must have taken 30 - 40, and are interviewing former AN guys right now, some for Capt positions.

SQ is a big employer of direct entry Captains, and there would probably be something over 40 there.

Jetcnnect (QF) in NZ have over 20, and thee'd be a total of close to 20 in Japan that I know of.

Just heard last night of a contingent of A320 guys who have lobbed in Qatar - nice spot to be when Bush is chest beating.

Dragon is taking ex Air Force and Airbus guys as fast as they come along it seems.

Some of the Kendell CRJ guys are in China I believe. As an aside, I just had an email from a Saab Capt mate, and he tells me their loads are a very poor. Many flights only half a dozen or so punters, so longevity is not looking good at Rex unless they start getting bums in seats.

Overall, it's looking not too bad. Of course a lot of the older guys have thrown in the towel - just too much trouble, as have a numberof the younger guys - just disillusioned I think.

I believe thee were more than 60 pilots over 60 yo at the time of the collapse, so there were high 700s on the market. Hard to say, but maybe near half that have found jobs.

So if the SQ operation gets up, and hopefully it will, and presumably they won't do it in half measures with 6 or 8 aircraft, but a real effort with 20+, there could be a real demand for pilots here. No doubt some will come home, some will leave the likes of VB, but those vacancies will in turn create jobs.

It's an ill wind that blows no good.

Good luck to all of them!!

Gnadenburg
30th Aug 2002, 00:22
Just some clarification.

Regarding Dragon.Half a dozen ex RAAF/ex AN caught wind of the impending disaster and courted Dragon in March of last year.Since then another eight employed,with one preferring second officership at QF.

Air Mekong is at the final stages too,with a contract that offers paid commuting rights back to Oz.Another 20 odd employed.Though I don`t know if the chardonnay set could stomach the wild west for too long.

I don`t think your VB info too accurate.

redsnail
30th Aug 2002, 00:40
There are a few over here converting their licences to a JAR one. Enough to make the CAA have a special meeting about it all. ie so many doing flight tests it was clogging the system.
In the UK, your initial IR must be done with a CAA examiner. You look at any where between 4-8 weeks to get one.

TIMMEEEE
1st Sep 2002, 01:11
Can anyone actually outline numbers of those with FULL TIME employment as opposed to part time?

And also can the breakdown of where they are be done by anybody??

shortly
1st Sep 2002, 05:02
The majority of final interviewees at Cathay last week were Ansett and Kendall guys/gals. Very experienced and also very good. Quite a few will get happy phone calls.

2daddies
1st Sep 2002, 10:06
Hate to crash the thread but I just can't help myself - different airline, similar story. Out of the thirty-two Impulse 1900 guys to miss out on the 717 the breakdown is something like this:

14 - Compulsory redundancy
5 - flying for other companies (including 1x Cathay & 1x Virgin)
4 - Impulse administration
2 - Impulse crewing
3 - Impulse dispatch
3 - Impulse flight attendants
1 - Impulse engineering

You know the industry is in a sorry state when Qantas (80% market share & $450 million profit) starts laying people off!

Or is it just because they could, so they did?
:rolleyes:

MTOW
1st Sep 2002, 13:00
The majority of final interviewees at Cathay last week were Ansett and Kendall guys/gals. Very experienced and also very good. Quite a few will get happy phone calls. Seems AN trained some of their FOs very well in how to be an true AN pilot.

KaptinZZ
1st Sep 2002, 23:16
Further to my previous, Jetconnect (QF in NZ) have taken 42 former AN pilots, but since starting have taken a 25% pay cut, then a 33% paycut, plus lost the provided accommodation and transport to the airport.

A mate who is there tells me that translates to a total of over a 70% cut in pay and allowances!!!

Watch out QF in Australia. I hope Dixon doesn't get stuck into those here, but the writing is on the wall.

Mr VB figure may have been a touch high, but it would be 25 - 30 I'm told.