PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a freigth dog - your oppinions

DBate
26th Feb 2006, 19:04
Hello everybody,

I'm currently very occupied with the question whether I should switch to the cargo department of our airline or not.

The question has kept me busy during the last weeks, and I have to come to a decision within the next 14 days.

Even after considering all aspects, I cannot come to a decision. But maybe there's something I haven't thought of, so any of your oppinions are highly apreciated.

At the moment I'm FO on A320 family aircraft, flying passengers for one of the majors. I now have the option to either stay on A320, switch to A340, or to go to the cargo division of the airline I'm working for, flying the MD-11 there and having the option to switch to A340 or B744 after 3 years on the MD-11 (if there is demand on 340/744).

Here are the things I have considered yet:

Pros:

Chance to fly a third aircraft during my FO career
MD-11 (what a sexy aircraft)
Chance to get to know a different kind of operation (cargo-ops)
Interesting destinations
Longer layovers than on the pax-division (there it's usualy 24h compared to up to 4 days off on the cargo-division)
No trouble with pax
Flying to destinations I would never fly to on the pax-division

Cons:

Being away for up to 15 days (max 5 days on short haul A320)
Bad roster stability...
...sometimes flying from off-days
No cabin crew, only the CPT to talk to
more AOG than on the pax-division
no overtime hours (or at least only rarely)
Long time flying long-haul 'till upgrade to Captain on short-haul (6 years at least)...
...considering all health aspects like time zones
...lots of night flying
...lots of pole routes (radiation!)
I imagine it's hard to maintain social life when being away for up to 15 days

To all out there already flying cargo - how do you manage your social life? Have you ever thought about the health aspects?

As mentioned before, any insights and oppinions are highly appreciated.
And yes, I know that I'm very very lucky to even have the opportunity that something like this keeps me busy.

Regards,
DBate

Buster Hyman
26th Feb 2006, 20:32
Sounds like LH to me.;)

Whilst not a "flyer" per se, I think one pro you've missed is the generally more relaxed atmosphere in cargo ops. From the ground aspect, I always enjoyed freighters...the boxes don't whinge! Although the Alpacas really stink!:ugh:

Junkflyer
27th Feb 2006, 04:23
I currently fly cargo on a 17 day/month schedule. Its hard being away the whole time especially with a family. The long days off block is nice, but the schedule is difficult to adjust to. That along with less overtime, longer upgrade I would recommend against it. Maybe you know some crewmembers already doing it at your company and they could give a more accuratae perspective.

dusk2dawn
27th Feb 2006, 07:16
Mods, why don't you make a sticky with this topic ? It seems to cause inordinate moral and intellectual challenges to the youngsters of the century.

fesmokie
27th Feb 2006, 14:38
Alex ...is that you? you old freight dog.:suspect:

Junkflyer
28th Feb 2006, 00:22
I'm not Alex, but I do fly with an Alex who also lives out here.

captjns
28th Feb 2006, 15:48
To additional pros:

1. No flight attendants.

2. No passengers.

fesmokie
4th Mar 2006, 15:17
OK, Hi AP. This is AP. say Hi to AT. Bye Bye.:}

FougaMagister
5th Mar 2006, 05:50
CAPTJNS - do you seriously believe that having no hosties is a pro? In my book, that's more of an inconvenient (probably the only one) of flying as a freight dog... ;)

zerozero
5th Mar 2006, 14:02
...how do you manage your social life? Have you ever thought about the health aspects?

How do I manage my social life? You're looking at it, brother.:8

The health aspects don't worry me too much. You gotta die of something. And quite honestly I think crossing several time zones every few days does more damage than radiation...certainly over the short term.

All of your other concerns mostly boil down to personal preference. You don't say your age but I'm guessing fairly young.

My best advice for a young FO is to get the most *DIVERSE* experience you can *AND* take advantage of any and all *TRAINING* offered to you by the company.

Look, here's the bottom line: Nothing is forever. Prepare yourself for any contingency by enhancing your CV with as much experience as you can.

Good luck, have fun.

trashhauler
7th Mar 2006, 00:20
Be prepared to fly with some of the best pilots in the world doing the best with minimal help. Learn to handle off beat schedules, lack of hotel support, pretty fair catering, and a lot of sleepless nights.
Oh, I forgot, it will grow on you when you realize it is the best flying in the world.

captjns
7th Mar 2006, 02:30
CAPTJNS - do you seriously believe that having no hosties is a pro? In my book, that's more of an inconvenient (probably the only one) of flying as a freight dog... ;)

Absolutely! When I flew with hosties, and while on layovers, I preferred the other carriers’ hosties that laid over at the same hotels as we did. Less complications and stories to be told, if you know what I mean.

I don’t mind the inconvenience of getting my own coffee or crew meal from the galley.

FougaMagister
7th Mar 2006, 04:36
... Ah, now I can see your point! Fair enough ;)

DBate
10th Mar 2006, 12:35
Thanks to you all for your replies and insights.

I have finally made a decision after having talked to a couple of colleagues from the cargo department last week.

So long,
DBate

zerozero
10th Mar 2006, 19:26
So what was your decision? What influenced you the most?

CAT3A
10th Mar 2006, 21:30
DBate what they told you, pros/cons?

DBate
12th Mar 2006, 17:44
The colleagues from the cargo division didn't really have new information available. They just gave me further details on the operation and on the new contracts I'd be working under at the cargo department.

zerozero, as you said in your post - it comes down to personal preference.
Considering that I do not have family (yet) to care about I decided to move to cargo - later this year.

I was already assigned to a ground course starting in april, but withdrew my application for the moment, and reapplied for a course later this year. I just wanted fly this summer on short haul, completing five years on the A320.

Thereafter I will move to the MD-11. I have already been assigned to a new ground course, starting in october. And I'm really looking forward to it!

Ok guys, once again thanks for your input.

So long,
DBate