PDA

View Full Version : attachment size issue

steinycans
25th Feb 2006, 13:19
This is more of a whinge actually. Tonight I tried to send a few images to a mate. I got a message back from a provider saying basically the amount of infomation I was trying to send was too much to handle. No beef there, Too much is too much and i understand that. What annoys me is how they dont tell you what is an acceptable amount!

If they said: "you can send messages up to x bytes" then i would be able to carry on. unfortunaty though for me and my mate, i have to guess at the size that is allowed.

because i dont have the time of day to experiment and play with the vagurities of email, i am burning onto disc and posting, yes snail-mail, the images.

how dissappointing.

grrrr

unclenelli
25th Feb 2006, 14:33
Depends in your ISP and his ISP - the attachment size is normally the smaller of the two.
This will be a published amount and you can zip/split multiple attachments to fit into this plan.

However, it will also depend on his inbox size. You won't know this unless you contact him. If he doesn't delete/move old emails, then they use up his inbox capacity.

Conan the Librarian
25th Feb 2006, 14:53
Couple of thoughts here, though they will never get around the limits imposed by ISPs.

You could use Photobucket, which is free. Upload to PB and you have a web based photosite. Second idea, is to get Irfanview, which is also free and is a cracking tool for anyone dealing with Pictures/albums etc. IV will let you resize easily to your hearts content, allowing you to email in confidence.

I do know what you mean. My own camera shaots can be up to six and occasionally seven Mb per pop and very few would get through, were I to try and email them.

Conan

born2fly_au
25th Feb 2006, 18:14
If you wish to send large files to someone there is a website called http://www.yousendit.com/ (http://www.yousendit.com/) this allows you to send files up to 1 Gb. You upload the file to their server and the person you are sending it to gets an email notifing them of the file and also a link to download it. the file is automaticly deleted from their server after about a week. Also The file size limit restriction is on the email server of the person you are sending it to not your account.
Allen

stickyb
26th Feb 2006, 14:41
Also, strange as it may seem, you can send very large files very efficiently with Skype

V800
26th Feb 2006, 18:07
I've had the same problem in the past sending pictures by e-mail as often my recipient is on one of those cheap ISPs that severely limit the size of their mailbox or received attachments.

The simplest answer if your ISP allows web space for a personal web site is to post the files there and send your friend the URL to find them, or if they are a trusted friend share your FTP log in details with them. This method is no more insecure than using one of those third party sites that are often financed by selling lists of valid e-mail addresses.

Asper
15th Mar 2006, 01:44
Picassa is free and one of the Google products. There is an icon which allows you to send your photos. It compresses them to a tiny size. I can send about 50 at a time to my g mail account. No quality problems either.