PDA

View Full Version : Nice work QF BN-SY 25/2

Mr.Buzzy
25th Feb 2006, 11:05
Standing by the fence again with my trusty WL387-18 Multiband scanner;
I was most impressed to hear a QF flight BN for SY, suggest and offer to descend a few thousand feet to allow a VB flight which was slightly ahead, higher and on the same track to descend out of light turbulence. ( ie not much lateral separation )
This happened around 0630 on the 25th ( QF505 perhaps? ) and to the QF crew, a big thank-you. :ok: :ok: :ok:

bbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbb:ok: bbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SHRAGS
27th Feb 2006, 11:07
It's all aprt of being professional and respecting each other regardless of the operator, history or politics. We need to look out for each other.
I constantly give a friendly wave going past a Jet* or DJ and get nothing back and apologise if I block someone taxing and again receive no response.
I'll keep doing it.......but its starting to wear pretty thin!

HotDog
27th Feb 2006, 11:27
Buzzy, that kind of courtesy is the order of the day in the Far East as it should be here. Hardly any news at all.

Keg
27th Feb 2006, 11:37
And therein is the interesting thing. It's something I've done previously and would continue to do in the future. I will admit to enjoying the sport of staying low and out-dragging someone who was up in the jetstream (for same fuel) but alls fair in that regards. If we're all getting clobbered by turbulence though....different thing entirely and i'm more than happy to help out.

I did have mate tell a story the other day where they requested a wind and ride from 'another carrier' in front and higher going across the Bight to Perth and just about to drop out fo radar. Report came back as favourable winds and smooth. They climbed, other aircraft descened when they heard the climb. My colleague ended up in wnds which were 50-70 knots stronger (worse off) and continuous light to moderate turbulence. Unable to descend back to previous level (or other levels) due to other aircraft blocking them and now outside radar coverage and seperattion standards increasing. They wore it for a considerable amount of time whilst coordinating for other levels.

Anyway, glad our guys did the right thing in this regard. It ain't always like that and I do recall a time hearing it from an AN aircraft, asking the boss to get a clearance to descend so we could help each other out and the boss said 'stuff 'em'. I was astounded and even after another couple of goes at getting him to get a clearance he still wouldn't. I felt very small that day- smaller than I normally feel at my height! ;)

ys120fz
27th Feb 2006, 20:04
Ah!!! if that sort of courtesy has existed in the Compass days. I recall Compass crews (and we won't discuss the politics of where they came from) giving false wind info at various levels to other (QF & AN) crews.

The result was that QF & AN guys found themselves in unfavourable winds.

Very gentlemanly indeed.

No Further Requirements
27th Feb 2006, 22:39
Best bit of 'sportsmanship' I ever heard was on the ML-SY track a few months ago. QF B767 asks for higher and I say 'Negative due same direction traffic above.' Clearly they spot the jet just ahead and then pipe up 'Can we have a high speed cruise and descent' to which approval was given and they start to overtake the VB jet above.

I hand the jets off to the next sector and the VB jet asks 'Is the QF jet overtaking us below the one that asked for max speed?' 'Affim' I said. And the reply from the VB jet was 'Nice one boys, we're off to Williamtown'

No response from the B767 crew funnily enough......

I had a good chuckle anyway. May have been asking for max speed to make schedule, but it sounded like a 'race to base' to me.

Cheers,

NFR.

OhForSure
27th Feb 2006, 23:36
NFR:

Tooooo good. Now thats what flying (and other elements of aviation for that matter) is all about... enjoying the job.