PDA

View Full Version : Botswana

PEPSIPILOT
25th Feb 2006, 09:47
Hi,

Could somone explain to me the procedures for a VFR flight to Botswana from grandcentral.
What forms must i fill out what do i need to take with me and is botswana's airfield safe and what do they have in that airfield.

Thanks in Advance

PEPSIPILOT

cavortingcheetah
25th Feb 2006, 14:36
:)

That rather depends upon where you are headed o' sweet and bubbly one. You do not specify.
There used to be a VFR corridor from Gaberone to Maun, the adherence to which was compulsory.
Might I suggest the ZA AIPs and the Jeppesen for further and more up to date information?
There used to be a very helpful man at FAGC, an ex airways skkkippper, also sometimes known by his initials as CC. He headed up a certain flight school there. I am sure that he could give you some useful gen. He loves, absolutely, the 727 and has more than a passing knowledge of the 747! Give him my regards if you see him, I used to work for him many a moon ago, back in the eons past at FAGM.
I always used to take a large can of water in case of a forced lob and, would you believe me, a piece of thick string and a packet of condoms. The amount of H2O that a male contraceptive will hold is prodigious, a couple of gallons if I remember correctly. Two rubber johnnies filled with water, tied neck to neck with the string and worn yoke like will get you far in the desert without the extra weight of a water bottle or two.
I also used to take my Colt .45 with me. Kill snakes and gerbils for nourishment! I imagine that a sidearm might be a trifle more contentious a piece of personal baggage these days.
Good luck and watch out for those swamp pilots if you're up Maun way!:uhoh:
Oh yes, take a hat or a parasol:D

flying paddy
26th Feb 2006, 21:03
Hi
As a flight instructor in Gaborone I would make an important recommendation that you under no circumstances try to bring a firearm into Botswana, you will spend a long time in jail. and there you will need those condoms for a whole different reason if you know what i mean. Flying here is no problem just flight plan direct. Please ensure that your paperwork is in order. Any questions pm me.

Flying Paddy

TownshipDog
28th Feb 2006, 09:40
you can take fire-arms into Bots, but you must just land ay my uncle Ronnie's farm instead of Siretse Khama, oh and make sure it's after dark (don't bother with a passport)

Seriously Pepsi, just file direct to wherever you're going, if its Gabs, go via the NESEK reporting point, will make life easier cuz they're going to ask you to route that way anyway. Also they'll tell you to avoid the restricted area which is basically the CBd's tall buildings... Other than that you should have no hassles.

Remember my uncle Ronnie if you're taking your favourite RPG7 (for survival purposes of course...) oh don't tell Paddy cuz that'd be irresponsible and stuff

reptile
28th Feb 2006, 17:52
take care flying into GBE....had a near miss over GBV last week - 200' vertical and 200m lateral. ATC had "no comment".

iron nuts
7th Mar 2006, 11:39
take care flying into GBE....had a near miss over GBV last week - 200' vertical and 200m lateral. ATC had "no comment".

Mate if thats a close call in a country that is as flat as a billiard table then you should spend more time looking out of the window instead of trying to fly straight and level as I spent two years there and the only near miss i had was a nice bird in the back seat.

TownshipDog
7th Mar 2006, 12:10
Iron nuts...What if the other plane was below and behind him? He couldn't have seen it then, no matter how much time he spent 'looking out the window instead of flying straight and level" Who knows maybe it was you who almost hit him while you were "having a near miss with the chick in the back" and NOT flying straight and level therefore deviating from your flight path and almost riding poor old reptile over... Other A/C have got a bad habit of hiding away in blind spots and up-sun. Point is it could happen to anybody no matter how hard they look

farmpilot
7th Mar 2006, 15:38
Had it happen to me at Maun. Cleared for TO, pulled onto runway looked left and had a up close and personal look at a 210 just going around 100' above. He was cleared to land 5 miles out - tower forgot about him. :ugh:

Tower didn't say anything, even when questioned. All other aircraft just started using the airfield as if it was unmanned - it seemed MUCH safer :)

V5-Pipo
7th Mar 2006, 16:35
:uhoh: Join the club, had a near miss with a 310 in Bots airspace too, on my way to Maun. And when asked, ATC had no comment. (how do let VFR and IFR traffic nearly bump into each other, while having both radar identified?) Anyway the country may be flat, but try spot a plane in flight when its so hazy it feels like flying in IF. Had some crazy controlling expierences in both Maun and Gabarone that left me shaking my head, speachless. Scary!

reptile
7th Mar 2006, 19:00
Thanks for the advice Iron Nuts. Finally got the straight and level thing sorted out. Hoping to spend more time looking outside, as soon as can figure out what those damn pedal things at my feet are supposed to do. After that I'd like have a near miss with one of the pax - if the hostie allows. Who knows, one day i might be as proficient and professional as you.

Thanx again :ok:

reptile

nugpot
7th Mar 2006, 20:37
Mate if thats a close call in a country that is as flat as a billiard table then you should spend more time looking out of the window instead of trying to fly straight and level as I spent two years there and the only near miss i had was a nice bird in the back seat.

reptile had an airprox in an airliner, under IFR, in the TMA, under radar control. The last three points should say it all.

For everybody without bubble canopies and fully articulated necks - be careful around Gabs.

George Semel
8th Mar 2006, 00:14
I been to Botswana 4 times and each of those 4 times I took a number of rifles. .338 416 375 and I even did a whole 14 days with a 7x64. Didn't have a single problem with travel or what have you.

B Sousa
8th Mar 2006, 03:14
George
Its still acceptable behavior, but under really close scrutiny........Im not going to admit how many I have taken to Africa........Hope they are used properly.

iron nuts
8th Mar 2006, 14:55
nice one reptile at least one guy got my humour happy flying:ok: