PDA

View Full Version : ADSL MODEM/ROUTER

The Voice
24th Feb 2006, 20:36
Hello again ..

I've been happily using ADSL for the last 12 months. A couple of weeks ago something has upset the applecart.

The system used to remain connected to the 'net even if the computer went to sleep .. now, I lose the connectivity if I don't keep using it throughout the day. I haven't actually worked out a fool proof method of re-connecting without having to re-boot the computer ..

I use the 'net for rather intensive blocks of time for study purposes ..

my problem is, I'm going to waste time and get more frustrated and angry as the semester continues if I can't work out how to stop the modem/router from ditching the connection, or a simpler way of 'waking' everything up. I've tried what I thought was everything to fix this little problem.

Can anyone think of anything that I may try? I've ticked and un-ticked every damn box that I can think of in option and settings .... :sad:

Conan the Librarian
24th Feb 2006, 21:05
Could you tell us which router and model please? Also, your ISP details might help too.

Conan

The Voice
24th Feb 2006, 22:57
Thanks Conan,

It's a NetComm NB5 ADSL 2 Modem Router - Iprimus (au)

seacue
24th Feb 2006, 23:12
Different modem, different ISP, different continent, but my ADSL modem/router loses interest in communicating with my ISP once-in-a-while.

My solution, which always works, is to turn off the mains power to the modem and then turn it back on. I leave the computer running throughtout this exercise. My computer is running XP Home and is connected to the modem by ethernet.

Jinkster
25th Feb 2006, 00:25
seacue,

i do the same as you and it works everytime - using a Netgear super ADSL router with a wifi laptop!

born2fly_au
25th Feb 2006, 12:20
Did you authenticate from the modem or from the pc. In other words when you open the modem setup 192.168.1.1 is the user name & password in the modem software or is it on the pc?
Allen

shuttlebus
25th Feb 2006, 18:44
seacue's tip is valid IF THE OS IS WinXP, as it allows you to add and ditch network connections on the fly. However, previous MS OSes will not let you do this- you will require a reboot.

Also, there is usually an option in the admin page(s) of the router to set the "drop connection after xx minutes of activity" option.

Try logging on to the router and see if this fixes the problem.

If not a may be an issue with the lease lengths for individual IP's assigned by the router if your are using DHCP. Most people think DHCP is OTT for a home network (although I use it) and therefore you could also try using static IP addresses.

Regards,

Shuttlebus