PDA

View Full Version : Strange speaker noises with new printer...

FunkyMunky
24th Feb 2006, 16:23
This is a strange one!

We just purchased a new printer - an HP Deskjet 5470 to be precise. Whenever it's plugged into the main desktop PC, the surround speakers start making strange high-pitched noises, and white noise whenever the printer is, well, printing. :confused: I've tried plugging the printer into my monitor USB ports, into the case ports and into the ports directly on the motherboard itself. The problem never seems to go away. I've tried moving the printer away from the computer, which does not work, which leads me to believe the interference is coming down the USB cable itself. It works absolutely fine, with no strange noises at all, when plugged into either of the laptops - in fact I can use it right next to the affected PC, as long as it's plugged into the laptop - so the interference must be via the cable?

Could the metal from one of my USB sockets be electrically linked to the backplate of the soundcard by touching the computer case? The noise comes from only the front speakers, but it's affecting all of the sockets. No other USB devices give me any problems. The printer doesn't have a parallel port I can use either :*

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :ok:

Loose rivets
25th Feb 2006, 07:09
Are both units positively grounded / earthed? From the same plug if possible.

Is the USB lead removable from the printer? Obviously checking that the metal of the plugs on the lead has good continuity. ie the braid is solid to the plug cases. If not...

Time for some substitution.

If it is indeed a sound card, firstly is the back plate screw solid to chassis? Or, could you borrow another one to try.

Will the dealer let you try another printer?

Conan the Librarian
25th Feb 2006, 15:00
Some USB leads have a suppressor at either end. I have about three, for Video cam, Scanner and printer. If you have one kicking around on another peripheral, try that. I haven't heard of this problem before, so it would be good to follow it to a conclusion.

Conan

FunkyMunky
25th Feb 2006, 22:15
The USB lead is removable and seems to be "soundly" constructed, if you'll excuse the pun..the noise in fact occurs with other cables of the same type. The PC, amplifier, monitors and printer were initially all connected via the same power strip, but I've tried the printer connected to another room to no avail.

The sound card back plate is screwed solidly to the chassis, but the problem is also evident if I touch the front speaker lead to the metal of the PC case...apart from the expected noises, the interference is transmitted clearly through to the speakers.

The strangest thing occured when I was testing with a "dead" monitor - the monitor was unplugged from the mains and the USB connection to the monitor hub unplugged from the PC. The noise remained but I realised the DVI cable was still connected - I removed it, and lo and behold the noise was gone. It seems strange that interference from a USB cable can work its way to a PC via a monitor DVI cable.

I genuinely think it's a problem with the printer as the noises occur no matter what combination of power outlets and USB sockets (hub, monitor, PC itself) I use.

The only USB cables with suppressors (I assume you mean the cylindrical things in line with the cable) on them I have appear to be the mini-USB B types, for digital cameras, MP3 players and the like. The printer uses the larger almost square type at the printer end, and I have no other such cables with a suppressor on. I'll try pick one of these up somewhere, as part of the process of elimination.

Conan the Librarian
26th Feb 2006, 00:44
Think I would go first for a short, sharp chat with the printer supplier (If they could be bothered to supply the USB cable. ) I f they didn't, then forget this post.

Conan

FunkyMunky
26th Feb 2006, 01:06
Priot to this post I began contact with an agent from HP online support.

I mentioned my thoughts about the soundcard initially, and was fobbed off with "This involves equipment which falls outside the HP warranty", which is fair enough, but the further testing I've done practically elminates the soundcard. Currently the agent is "doing further research into the matter" and promises to get back to me :uhoh: :(

I have plenty of spare (with suppressor thingies) USB mini-B cables lying around, and a couple of spare non-suppressed large-size device cable, so I'll try splicing a couple together tomorrow. Failing this, I can't return the printer as the person who bought it doesn't really see my speaker noise as that important ;) and thus doesn't want to return the printer - so I may invest in a cheap network print server (Netgear PS121 on ebay for £26.95 looks ok).

The cable was supplied with the printer, but I've tried other cables to no avail.

hobie
26th Feb 2006, 06:35
how about a Bluetooth setup between the Pc and printer ?..... :confused:

vapilot2004
26th Feb 2006, 09:13
If you are handy inside the computer - unplug it - remove the side cover - one hand on the case briefly (ground yourself - no static) and remove and re-insert the sound card.

No Joy ? - try it in another slot. Be sure to ground yourself to the case first.

If it is an integrated card , part of the motherboard, then it may be an issue relating to USB, the power supply and the MB.

please post the model sound card you have or MB model or computer model if known. I will see what I can find.

Oh, and try plugging a set of headphones into the card's output. Perhaps there is an issue with the speakers and the printer.

FunkyMunky
26th Feb 2006, 13:49
I had initially tried reseating and replacing the soundcard (an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro) as you suggested vapilot, but this made no difference. I do not believe it is a soundcard issue, as I (perhaps foolishly) tried to remove the PC from the loop by simply touching the front speaker connector to the metal surround of the printer USB cable - the noises did occur.:( However, the noises were not present when I attempted the same with a pair of headphones...and the rear/centre/sub speakers are not affected as they are on a seperate amplifier (I made an error in my initial posting, stating that all speakers were affected. This was not the case, as it turns out).

The PC was home built by myself and as far as I could tell, there are no shorts, bad grounds, et cetera within the case wiring. This seems irrelevant now however as I can make noise occur without the use of the PC, as above...:(

I am now unsure of whether I have :-

- A strangely sensitive amplifier for my front speakers. Two Tannoy Mercury speakers connected to an aging but still good sounding Audiolab 8000A.

- A mains supply issue. It would be impractical as of now to try to connect the amplifier or the printer to a different mains supply - they are both on the upstairs ring.

To be honest I'm stumped completely. No other USB devices I have cause this issue. I might just have to stump up the £30 for a print server and give up :{

frostbite
26th Feb 2006, 14:35
Might be worth making a few turns of the data lead round a ferrite ring/rod.

Loose rivets
27th Feb 2006, 04:47
I would be very cautious about grounding the internal speaker wires if that's what you mean.

vapilot2004
27th Feb 2006, 08:33
:hmm: Maybe there is a grounding issue with the input cables leading to the Audiolab amp. Have you tried switching these out with another set ?

Perhaps a ground loop is at work here. Does the Audiolab have a grounded mains plug ? - temporarily try it with a cheater to see if that changes things.

The EMF may be propagating into the AL's input path. Try plugging your amp into another sound card jack - even an AUX input on the sound card card would be ok for testing this theory.

The only other easy path for input beyond mains and signal are the speaker wiring. Your amp is a quality item, so I doubt this is an issue, but try switching the speakers off and plugging your phones into the amp.

Lastly, it could be that this particular printer is defective and an internal EMF filter is not working properly. The high pitched noise, hiss or squeels sound like power supply/motor drive generated switching hash.

FunkyMunky
27th Feb 2006, 10:10
I think we may be getting somewhere here.

When plugged into one of the mic/line inputs on the sound card, the speakers do still make the noise. Using the headphones into the amplifier rather than into the soundcard, the noise is present in the headphones as well.

I don't have such a cable at hand but I'll try find another mains cable for the amplifier to try, and then perhaps one without a ground to try temporarily.

Thanks for all the advice so far :ok:

maxell
27th Feb 2006, 22:12
At one time I read something somewhere about a noise problem with the Audigy soundcards. Try moving your soundcard into another PCI slot if you have one available, Also look at your IRQ allocation to check its not in conflict with your printer
Max