PDA

View Full Version : What will a corporate/VIP pilot cost me?

barflyer
24th Feb 2006, 12:11
I am considering buying a light twin helicopter (A109/EC-135) for business purposes and would need to employ either a full time pilot, or a small cadre of freelancers, to fly it and generally manage the machine (arrange parking, hangarage, maintenance, insurance etc.)

If my minimum qualification requirement were, say, ATPL(H) with single pilot IR, 2500 hrs TT, 2000 hrs twin turbine, and 1500hrs PIC, what sort of salary would I need to pay for a full time pilot? What about a daily rate for a freelance with that type of experience?

mongoose237
24th Feb 2006, 12:27
You will struggle to find suitable freelance pilots with those requirements - are they your own, or have you been "advised" by a consultant?

Freelance twin IR pilots would probably be looking around £300 - £350 a day

Good luck

tomotomp
24th Feb 2006, 12:55
I would say for a permanent pilot you are looking at £55,000 plus loss of License, Bupa or equivalent, permanent health insurance, Life insurance and relocation package.:ok:
Plus pension plan

Jigsaw
24th Feb 2006, 13:23
Agree with TOMOTOMP, the type of pilot you require is probably already fat dumb and happy in Aberdeen working the rigs. If you are able to present a better quality of life package along with a 3-5 year contract then you may be able to pick someone up. A North Sea Captain is at the top end of the rotary salary at around 70k with pension, BUPA, LOL and expenses. you could pick up a pilot with that kind of experience on the police/ambulance circuit and they would probably expect something in the region of 45K or more to consider the proposition. Good hunting.

verticalhold
24th Feb 2006, 13:26
Mongoose;

There are quite a few freelances about with more than that. It depends on where you look for them. Still probably cheaper in the long run to put it under management with a company.

VH

mongoose237
24th Feb 2006, 13:57
There are quite a few freelances about with more than that. It depends on where you look for them.
I don't doubt that there are. But having recently spoken to a large charter outfit in England, they are struggling to find suitably qualified twin IR freelance pilots.

SASless
24th Feb 2006, 14:02
If your business is fine Scots Whisky....put it on the N-registry and I am yours for bed, breakfast, a stipend....and all I can drink when not involved in flying!:)

flygunz
24th Feb 2006, 15:05
Hi Barflyer
I held such a position from 2001 to 2003. The Agusta I flew for the owner was brand new and I was employed to do the following:

All aspects of Helicopter delivery from Agusta and attend the factory course.
Solo Pilot
Instructor (owner help a ppl)
Helicopter manager - Maint, hangerage, dealer liaison (Agusta & Sloane), Insurance and all legal requirements etc.

The owner decided that a full time employee was the answer to his requirements. I have to agree even though the 24/7 routine of a sole employee can be all consuming. As the Pilot I took great pride in presenting the Agusta in top condition for every flight and took care when flying his immediate family, I'm not sure that having a variety of freelancers would achieve the same. Financially it could go either way and would depend on annual flight hours paying freelancers to the employment costs of a permanent employee. Also you have to accept that a freelance Pilot may not be available if you need short notice flights etc.

The figures you posted are about right and would give you peace of mind that your man is an experienced aviator. The package would have to be attractive to lure said Pilot into a job that arguably has no prospects, no pension and less security than a Company position. As a guide you should expect to pay a salary of between £47 - £55 for a one man band as I was.

I would also advise against an 'N' reg for your purchase on the grounds that you can realise some income from the Ac when you choose not to use it if it is UK registered.

If you need any more just ask.

Regards

B Sousa
24th Feb 2006, 15:24
You certainly dont want a bunch of freelancers in and out the door. If you can afford the aircraft you can set up your own flight dept and when not in use, Charter the aircraft to make up a bit of the difference.
Get yourself some professional "headhunters" when looking for your staff.

Impress to inflate
24th Feb 2006, 18:40
I'm all yours for £100k, when can I start ? :)

Simon853
24th Feb 2006, 18:43
I'm all yours for £100k, when can I start ?

No, no, no. Newbie sponsorship is the only way to go.

Si

HillerBee
24th Feb 2006, 19:20
I don't think you will find anyone with your requirements. There is definitely a pilot shortage.

Unless you really want to pay a very good salary around £75.000. Why would anyone leave an EMS or North Sea job to be a private slave on a 24/7 schedule?

If you lower the requirements (a lot) you might be able to find a pilot for a lot less.

(And I don't want the job by the way)

SASless
24th Feb 2006, 20:11
Thus far....I am by far the lowest bidder.....until the bar bill rolls in!

i4iq
24th Feb 2006, 21:04
I'm all yours for £100k, when can I start ? :)

There you go, working for nothing, no wonder salaries are so low in this industry! :D

ShyTorque
24th Feb 2006, 21:11
HillerBee's "private slave" comment hits the nail on the head. Those who have been around this business a while tend to steer well clear of these newly set up single pilot, 24/7 arrangements.

I know of at least one present outfit where the pilot IS on call almost constantly and is expected to get out of bed at ridiculous hours because the owner suddenly, on a whim, wants to go out for the remainder of the night. Those in the business will know who I am referring to.

Probably better all round to put the arrangement in the hands of a company. No disrespect, but I don't want the job either.

SASless
26th Feb 2006, 13:31
This is a real ad...plainly the owner did not seek the services of any kind of consultant I fear. "At least 400 hours accident free work history"

Mattoon IL is the home of Rural King's corporate headquarters. We have 35 big box retail stores in six states. Every weekday our executives fly to IN, OH, KY, TN and MI to land on site and visit our stores. We also will fly on most Saturdays until noon. We have added a 2006 air-conditioned R44 II to our fleet and need a professional pilot with at least 400 hours to fly and manage this new aircraft. If you love to fly, have an accident free work history, current R44 time and are looking to live and work in the Mattoon IL area please fax your resume and salary requirements to (217)235-0573 attn. Glen L. Howell.

STANDTO
26th Feb 2006, 17:16
one of my neighbours (well, about 3nm away) runs (I believe) a single pilot operation. out the door about 0715 every morning to go to the UK, and invariably back in 17-1800 daily. N reg Augusta, up in all wx. Passes over the house in considerable style. Glad I bought a glass roofed conservatory!

I would guess that what this guy is saving in personal taxation by living here on the Isle of Man more than offsets the running costs of the machine and pilot.

There is an idea for you Barfly. There is now a tax cap of £ 100k over here (i.e. no matter how loaded you are, you don't pay any more than that). Move over and commute in your new machine!

the beater
26th Feb 2006, 19:13
Yeah, I used to fly for TH. If you've got to fly corporate, that's the sort of guy you'll be looking for (good tips on the old gee gees too):D .

TiPwEiGhT
26th Feb 2006, 19:51
For a CPL(H)/ATPL(H) holder to do freelance work like the above mentioned, would it have to be done on an AOC and would the A/C have to be on an AOC. Or is it simple case of giving the pilot the money and ask him to take you places?
TiP:confused:

STANDTO
26th Feb 2006, 20:14
hello Beater - that didn't take much working out, did it! :ok:

am I right in that it is a single pilot operation? how does he cover leave, etc? I had heard he has built a rather nice house on the estate for the present driver.

PM me if it is a bit sensitive. To be honest, I am just being nosey. I do however hope to make a 'research approach' sometime this year. I paint quite a bit, and the old 109 is a bit short in my photo library.

Seems a top geezer. Hope I have that much get up and go at his age!

the beater
27th Feb 2006, 04:39
PM sent. Let me know if you don't receive it.