PDA

View Full Version : How do I get Dispatch?

Oli EZ
23rd Feb 2006, 18:52
Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone would be able to shed some much needed light on how to get into flight dispatch? I have read that for certain companies it is imperative to work for them first as a customer service agent for instance, or even perhaps cabin crew.

I have just applied for such a ground position with BA at gatwick but i would appreciate if anyone would be able to tell me what else i could do to help me gain the role of dispatcher?

As for my background, I am 23 and have a degree, good A-levels, GCSE's and a PPL i earned with the RAF... but i dont have any qualifications to do with the role specifically. Would i need to attend evening classes, or would the potential employer provide all the necessary training? I have heard of a few people working for MyT, and enjoying it immensely. Yet i believe they acquired their positions by some sort of work placement. Can anyone enlighten me on this? It would be much appreciated.

Cheers for your time and help

Oliver

ShinjukuHustler
8th Mar 2006, 16:35
Hey Man,

What do you mean when you say dispatch? like out on the ramp type dispatch like in UK or like USA here where dispatchers are required to have waay more technical knowledge. Big difference cos the former is not licenced in Europe and the latter is not licenced 'Yet'..only a matter of time.

S.H

FougaMagister
9th Mar 2006, 11:45
ShinjukuHustler - I think the man means dispatcher in the European sense, bearing in mind he's in Nottingham, UK.

Oli Ez - to answer your question, a number of airlines employ their own dispatchers at their home base. Such is the case with MyTravel at MAN only and bmi baby at EMA. They would typically require some previous experience either in another capacity with the company, or as a dispatcher with a handling agent. Airline-employed dispatchers are usually much better off in terms of pay, shifts, terms & conditions, etc.

Handling agents such as Aviance, Servisair/GlobeGround, Swissport, Coventry Airport Handling, etc. do recruit direct entry dispatchers from time to time and depending on needs, station (airport), etc. Better contact them directly, either via their website, an airport Job Centre (there is one at BHX for instance), or by asking at one of their check-in/ticket desks at your nearest major airport (which in your case must be EMA).

Knowledge-wise, the more the better, but a PPL should put you in good stead when it comes to an interview. The rest of the training (not much) is done through the company training dept. It will usually take around 4 weeks including shadowing.

Cheers :cool:

super furry monkey
14th Mar 2006, 08:30
For anybody interested Swissport BHX have full and part time dispatch positions going. They are seasonal to start with, however there is a strong possibility of permanent contracts at the end of it (depending on personal performance). If you want a interesting and challenging introduction to the aviation industry you cant go wrong. The money is not great, as with most ground handling jobs, but might be worth a try. Just do a google search on Swissport UK and send a covering letter with a cv attached to the swissport bhx address.

brgds

herman

Rampmole
14th Mar 2006, 09:51
same story with MAN

Ian_Wannabe
18th Mar 2006, 17:32
Hey - Just wondering, who's at Liverpool airport?

Considering applying next year for a position after fininshing my studies....

Anyone on here work for a dispatch agent at that airport?? Any info on contacts, employee turn-over etc. would be great.

Thanks guys

Fernando_Covas
18th Mar 2006, 22:48
I think both Servisair and Aviance have bases at LPL. Staff turnover is on the high side.

Tacitus
19th Mar 2006, 16:27
I’d like to ask if someone has an FAA flight dispatcher license will this help him find employment for a European airline , or is something useless in Europe . Secondly are there any flight dispatcher schools in Europe ? Thanks in advance

Virgin Boi
20th Mar 2006, 22:02
I started to work for Servisair aged 19 as checkin / boarding gate staff.

Did this for 6/7 months which gave me some experience on the CoDeCo computer system used by the company for both checkin / gates and dispatch. It also gave me some experience of watching what the dispatchers were doing whilst at the gate.

When dispatchers were needed they only recruited internally, and 3 of us checkin staff were given the jobs, I was only 20 and the girls were only 19 and 21.

Worked as a dispatcher for a fantastic year, now am cabin crew. I still miss dispatching. There is no better job for giving you an entirely rounded view of what happens at the airport. The job only suits those who work well under very high pressure, its incredibly varied, fun, hard work, interesting, and you learn a lot!

The part I loved best about it was liasing with absolutley everyone involved in the turnaround procedure - pilots, cabin crew, gate staff, check-in, cleaners, re-fuellers, caterers, honey-wagon driver, engineers, baggage handlers etc etc, even on unusual occassions customs and excise and fire / ambulance / police services!

I would highly reccomend this job!

OPSONE
4th Apr 2006, 10:43
I’d like to ask if someone has an FAA flight dispatcher license will this help him find employment for a European airline , or is something useless in Europe . Secondly are there any flight dispatcher schools in Europe ? Thanks in advance

Hello Thread,
In France, The "ENAC" National School of Civil Aviation have an annual session flight dispatch curse.
cf www.enac.fr (http://www.enac.fr)

Expat abroad
6th Apr 2006, 13:13
Attn Tacitus

Yes, having an FAA licence does help getting a job in Europe. Some airlines even stipulate that it is a requirement for the job even though they are not operating to FAA, they want it as an indicator of knowledge/ability.

There was a school down in Bournmouth offering the FAA course, and I beleive one in Norwich, but can't confirm these as been out of UK for last 8 years.

Regards

ShinjukuHustler
9th Apr 2006, 17:19
Fact.... You cannot get an FAA dispatcher licence outside of the USA. You can study your haunches off all you want,wherever you want before you come and take the tests etc but it is a total lie if anyone says this can be done anywhere else outside usa.The cats test can be done in any CATS testing centre outside the usa but for the final exam with an FAA checker/instructor, it must be done in USA. Check the FARS if in doubt. SOme schools outside the usa try this on with foreign students and then there's usually some nasty twist at the end after they've parted with the cash, like..oh now you gotta take your ass to Florida or wherever to finish off. Bottom line...do your research as you will not be allowed into the USA to study for an aviation related course without your specific visa stating course applied for and in what institution.

Expat abroad
10th Apr 2006, 00:01
Thank you for that, I was intending to be helpful. I guess already having a FAA licence and being in the buisness 25 odd years, I don't know what I'm talking about. Neither do the staff for a very large and well known cargo and parcel carrier which has a european hub in CDG, as they did their study in Bournmouth and received their licence from their.

Also, as I did go the US route for my study, a visa is not required for a course duration of 6 weeks, at least for european passport holders. Unless it's now changed, which I'm sure it hasn't.

Been there, got the t-shirt, fought the war, healed the scars. Now working for a living as a dispatcher for a flag carrier.

Regards

anothermushroom
11th Apr 2006, 00:07
Have to agree with ShinjukuHustler, you have to go to the States to obtain the FAA Dispatch License. Many places will put you through the course outside of the States and can issue a Gulf States license (GCAA, I think), but to get the FAA License means going to the USA for about a week afterwards for the examinations.
As for a Visa, you need an M-1 Visa issued before you travel to enable you to study there.
How do I know? Going to the States for 6 weeks to study soon and seem to have done nothing but fill out paperwork and handover cash to various US Govt agencies for the last few months to get everything squred away!!

Expat abroad
11th Apr 2006, 15:47
Shouldn't need a visa, as a UK passport holder you are allowed 90 days without one, so long as you have a return ticket. Am suprised you have been told you need an M1 visa, as you are not doing flight training but ground training, unless it's a way to help pay for the enhanced security at the US airports now :)

You can do your written exam prior to going if you do home study, but I believe doing the 6 weeks over there is a lot better.

Lauderdale
12th Apr 2006, 14:26
Guys , when it comes to getting a FAA Dispatch Licence please note the following: you DO require a visa (M1) - the reason is you need an I-20 to attend the course- without it no course and no entry, You also need to get an I-797C (this can be done online).
Also even more importantly note this:
International students: please note that according to the FAA (Washington, D.C.) it is absolutely NOT LEGAL or authorized for a successful graduate of aircraft dispatcher training to receive final certification (the FAA Aircraft Dispatcher Certificate under FAR Part 65) via practical examination testing OUTSIDE OF THE U.S.A.. There are ZERO permitted exemptions (including Part 142) to this rule no matter what you've been told by certain course operators running training classes outside of the U.S.A.. It has been known for a fact that this situation has resulted in more than a few license/certificate SUSPENSIONS/REVOCATIONS in the past. Yes, the FAA Aircraft Dispatcher Certificate may be surrendered, suspended, or revoked. Operations were also suspended at more than one "internationally-based aircraft dispatcher training school" once the proper FAA authorities were alerted.
Guys , getting an FAA licence is an fantastic investment for your future, hard work but very rewarding. There are some fantatstic schools outthere (and some non fantastic ones), I obtained my FAA licence - I would be more than willing to advise you.:ok:

Expat abroad
12th Apr 2006, 14:54
Then the rules have obviously changed ref the visas as this was not the case when I and some of my collegues did our courses. Mine was pre 9/11 but thought some of my collegues did there's post. Ah well, live and learn.

I guess some things have changed which may explain why I can't find contacts for the school that was in Bournmouth.

So now it seems that you can get the written in UK, confirmed this already, and then do the shorter course over in US for the practical if I read everything correctly.

Ho hum, its still wet and cold in Switzerland, remind me just why did I leave UK:)

Expat

stibbs40
4th May 2006, 15:26
Hi guys,

Check out www.dit.ie (http://www.dit.ie) flight dispatch/loadmaster course B150 in Dublin, Ireland or contact Susan Doyle on +353 1 4023932 for enquiries, course starting september 2006, cost 1800 euros, part time 2 evening per week for year 1 and 1 evening per week year 2.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers :ok: