PDA

View Full Version : Silly Twits! Flying Tiger Harvards

pointer41
23rd Feb 2006, 17:42
I am sure to ruffle feathers and step on toes. However, I was amazed to see a photograph in the Citizen Tuesday 21 Feb of 4 Harvards of the Flying Tigers team dragging their wheels in the water in the Klipdrift Dam (wherever it is.) What were you guys thinking? I commented negatively on a photo of a Kudu dragging its wheels in the water, at Rustenburg Flying Club, as it is a poor, poor poor example of flight safety to impressionable youngsters.
Professionals doing their bit? As professional as a microlight I saw the other day dragging its wheels through some corn. The difference? The microlight pilot does not fly hundreds of families around in widebody jets.
Sis man! Do you fly with cowboy boots and spurs?:mad: :mad:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/T6_1sm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/T6_team_crop1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/T6_team7sm.jpg

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS COPYRIGHT OF FRANS DELY

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Feb 2006, 18:36
It was a planned and rehearsed photo shoot for Frans Dely with CAA approval AFAIK. Check out the thread and pics on avcom.co.za.

Shrike200
23rd Feb 2006, 19:25
Well then you won't like this little clip!

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/Super_Cub_Landing.wmv

Legendary!

522 kb download, in .wmv format.

Sir Cumference
24th Feb 2006, 09:13
Ponter 41. If you prepare properly, rehearse and do all the sums and all of your homework, then you can perform stunts like the Flying Lions did.

Because Jurgis Karis (spelling) does a snap roll on rotation does not mean that all PPL's are going to try and do the same at some stage.

The professionalism shown was in the preparation for the task. Think back to a flypast by a 747 during a World Cup final at Ellis Park some time ago. Unpracticed and unprepared - a potential fiasco but planned and coordinated and well thought out - Legendary!!

SC

Ray.W
24th Feb 2006, 20:46
By the way, they're not the 'Flying Tigers' they're the Flying Lions

napoleon
27th Feb 2006, 13:47
A whole lot of EGO driven tossers to a man. Bad example of what flying is about. And dont anyone quote the CAA gave permission etc as they are no better!............. the ones that think they know anything about flying that is.

J3ST3R
27th Feb 2006, 13:57
Pointer21 (and Napoleon for that matter),

You, me, and anyone else who sees those photos is fully aware of the fact that it is a STUNT!

If it weren't for guys like the Flying Lions pushing the limits on stunts like this, me thinks airshows would be very dull affairs. Also, if the team was not 100% confident that they could pull it off, and was not totally prepared for it, they wouldn't have done it. These are NOT reckless guys we're talking about here.

And in direct response to your post, if anything, with flying skills like that, I would WANT these guys at the controls of the widebody carrying my family.

And to the Flying Lions, respect! That was some phenomenal flying! :ok:

Jester

effortless
27th Feb 2006, 14:12
Whole lot of discussion on Private Pilots here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212917)

Romeo E.T.
27th Feb 2006, 15:08
I fully agree that the stunt is just that, a STUNT but I disagree in the action as I personally know of 1 or 2 PPL's that have tried and some succeeded in doing this same stunt in aircraft from Piper Cubs to Cherokee 6's, the Cubs are still around today but the Cherokee 6 resides at the bottom of the dam.

These other people I mentioned here are PPL's, now-where near as profficient, proffesional, experienced and well rehersed at this exercise as the Flying Lions team is, this sort of stunt only sets a BAD Professionalism example to the general aviation pilot who might try the same stunt and possibly get away with it ....OR NOT.

If we have a spate if accidents in the near future of light aircraft ending up in the dam due to them seeing this STUNT then I hope that the members of the Flying Lions team will be held accountable for their irresponsible actions,and bad example whether they were proffesional or not.

Shrike200
27th Feb 2006, 18:07
Cherokee 6?! LOL, trying to do this in a tricycle is a sure ticket for a Darwin award nomination.....

Shrike200
27th Feb 2006, 18:13
And just out of interests sake - sure, everyone seems to agree that they practiced for this, are all experienced pilots etc. But how did they do it the first time, huh? :}

It's not like they went out and got some dual for their 'initial waterski', and got it stamped out in their logbooks now, is it! :8 These guys went out and did it on their lonesome, to see if it could be done, and how. I have to say, these are fantastic photo's though, really exciting stuff!

Just some food for thought, fly safe..... ;)

nugpot
27th Feb 2006, 18:31
Many, many moons ago, BC (before CAA) - there were many taildraggers skiing down the Okavango and Zambesi rivers. Methinks that at least some of the Lions learnt there.

That's not counting all the Alo's with their nosewheels on the water.

J3ST3R
27th Feb 2006, 19:03
If we have a spate if accidents in the near future of light aircraft ending up in the dam due to them seeing this STUNT then I hope that the members of the Flying Lions team will be held accountable for their irresponsible actions,and bad example whether they were proffesional or not.

Are we to assume - using your logic - that for every boy-racer that wraps himself around a tree, some racing driver should be held accountable because said boy-racer saw a race on TV?

If a novice pilot tries to perform a roll, loses it and plants his aircraft in the ground, are we to blame all the display pilots who have performed a roll in front of him? :confused:

Sir Cumference
28th Feb 2006, 06:54
Well said J3ST3R.

SC

pointer41
1st Mar 2006, 18:30
I stick to my guns, no pun intended:} .
To me it is a sad day if drawing attention to airshows include such stunts, and by the way, Flying "Tigers" is a pun. We might as well go barnstorming.
Personally, I think it a poor example to others, operating not one, but four aircraft so very close to the edge of disaster. I promise, with enough sums and practise I can fly an aircraft precise enough to fly through a hangar, or down a street between buildings if there was no wind. Why stop there?
If I am old school and conservative, it might be that I too did silly things as a youngster, feeling fortunate to fly still (without a harp as yet) and thus too sensitive on such issues.
The question is: just what is too sensitive? Bi all and happy landings!:ok:

Tiger Bob
1st Mar 2006, 18:41
I agree with J3ST3R

A stunt is a stunt. Why because it is done with an aircraft are the pilots silly twits. If a guy jumps a car over 20 busses - it is a stunt. Does that make a driver a silly twit? Come on!!

aerostar1
2nd Mar 2006, 06:12
The only silly twit is pointer41! I cant believe how some people can be so naive! I only just registered to say that!

Ajax 28
2nd Mar 2006, 16:54
I would love to know what all the people who seem to support this "stunt" would have said if one of the aircraft had crashed.... would you all still praise the "stunt"...? Just some food for thought... :suspect:

nugpot
2nd Mar 2006, 18:44
if one of the aircraft had crashed....

Yes, and if my auntie had b@lls, she would be my uncle.

The whole point is that this stunt is not nearly as way out as you seem to think. No aircraft crashed, although they did it 5 times.

Think of this as a VFR pilot seeing a CAT II approach for the first time. Absolute magic until you know how.

B Sousa
2nd Mar 2006, 21:22
What are Airshows but Stunt flying.......As long as this is advertised and flown as such, so be it.
The Cub landing is a typical Alaska "in the bush" job. Whatever it takes to get the job done as safe as possible.......

J3ST3R
3rd Mar 2006, 07:42
I would love to know what all the people who seem to support this "stunt" would have said if one of the aircraft had crashed.... would you all still praise the "stunt"...? Just some food for thought... :suspect:

Aerobatics teams are supposed to "wow the crowds" - that's the whole point! Every single display we see involves an element of risk ... that is the nature of aerobatics.

Should we now stop supporting the displays of the Silver Falcons, the Sasol Tigers, the USAF Thunderbirds, as they have all lost aircraft (and pilots) during displays?

Shrike200
3rd Mar 2006, 12:32
Think of this as a VFR pilot seeing a CAT II approach for the first time. Absolute magic until you know how.

Yes, yes, but lets say I want to do this myself- how would I go about it? Should I just head off to some lake in my Cub on a calm day, or what? At least with a CAT II approach I actually get trained by somebody who knows how to do it, according to clearly defined procedures (both for the approach and for the training). And it's all done on the sim to get it right, plus there's recurrency training, etc, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for experienced pilots doing great stunts with planes, and this is a great stunt. My question above is genuine - how did these guys do it the first time? Surely they must have (to misquote nike) 'just did it'? Maybe after some tips from somebody else who had done it before...ie remember the brakes or something like that!

J3ST3R
3rd Mar 2006, 13:00
It's clear that this type of stunt has been done before, as pictures posted elsewhere on this site can attest. I understand that this stunt was also performed by a few "windgat" Kudu pilots during the Border War.

So it would just have taken a little research and calling around to get the lowdown on how to pull it off.

I think what makes this stunt unique is the number of aircraft taking part, and the media coverage of the event.

Stan Schroeder
4th Mar 2006, 03:12
Shrike, I understand what you are saying, but how was anything done the first time, what about the inverted ribbon cut at 20ft off the deck?? how was that done the first time? and methinks it holds just as much a "smear you down the rwy" factor as the harvards watersking on the Poch dam, never seen anyone loose thier rag over that stunt.
What about Chuck breaking the barrier? Just go and do it, even something that we all take for granted today, stalls and spins, someone had to just go and do it, and today we reap the benefits thereof.
See everything just "had to be done" for the first time, but it is about CALCULATED risk, no one is saying that there is no element of danger, sure there is, just a motor coughing would spoil your day, but the risk is calculated.
There is an element of risk, every time we strap ourselves into a hurtling piece of aluminium and defy the laws of gravity, even as a student in a 172.
The sad thing, is how many weekend warriors go and smear themselves across the countryside every summer season, taking on bad weather and marginal vfr with thier 150hr vfr ppl licences, I for one would like to see as much energy and outcry as has gone into this thread, go into trying to stamp out the behavior of these "twits", they generaly take innocent, unsespecting folk with them.....now how sad is that.

Keep the top side up and the pointy end going forward:ok:

Nellis
4th Mar 2006, 03:27
My goodness, we have a bunch of seriously boring pilots around. Did the Wright brothers have to get flying instruction before they started flying. Half the fun of flying is taking yourself into the red and checking the boundaries. If you do not get the adrenalin rush and the hollow feeling in your stomach now and then, you will never know your limits. If you take things into the red and you hit the brick wall, then your planning was poor and more than likely you will not do it again.

Where is the spirit of man amongst you guys? Where is the spirit of adventure?

Julle is soos ou vroens met 'n nat broek!! [Translated means: You are like old ladies with wet panties!!]

RadTag
4th Mar 2006, 13:23
I have to agree with Pointer41. Altough it looks spectacular, its a bad example of what flying is about. I am willing to bet money that some :mad: idiot kills himself trying to recreate this. Leave the stupid stunts for the boys from the "Jackass" movies.

james ozzie
4th Mar 2006, 19:12
....with thier 150hr vfr ppl licences, I for one would like to see as much energy and outcry as has gone into this thread, go into trying to stamp out the behavior of these "twits",
Nice one, Stan.
This is a Professional Pilots site, I know, but just a word for the low hour VFR PPL bottom feeders (remember you nearly all were once one yourselves!!!) - There is a silent majority of PPLs out there who are cautious, mindful of their limitations, respectful of the rules and who have clean incident free flying records. I have not studied the stats but the impression I get from the accident reports is that the majority of bad incidents seem to involve pilots with ratings and considerable experience - perhaps as they get higher hours, ratings, complex types & accustomed to flying in bad weather, their confidence outgrows their abilities?
Back to thread...

B Sousa
4th Mar 2006, 19:15
I am willing to bet money that some idiot kills himself trying to recreate this.

There does seem to be an abundant supply of those and there is plenty of water around, hopefully they wont harm anyone else.......
Go for it..........

I still see posts on this matter as if these guys do this in everyday flying. Somewhere the message says that these folks train for this, its stunt flying and its for airshows. I would hope and do assume that if they have other flying jobs there is a wide line between the two.
I cant understand the bad name thing for Aviation based on stunts for airshows.
Again if these guys fly for SAA and skim the ocean when landing at CPT, its a whole different ballgame.

Stan Schroeder
4th Mar 2006, 19:41
James
You are absolutly correct, my comments are not a shot at ppls in general, as you say we were all there, and I for one was one of the silent majority of the law abiding and straight out of the rule book ppl's, and still am as a comm pilot.
I was merely stating that there is a big enough uproar when a few, highly trained and qualified pilots do a stunt on a dam, yet every summer we read the reports of bad weather accidents and the forums or mouth pieces in place don't come alive with the same condemnation.
Perhaps I should rephrase, I realize that for every one top gun maverick out there there are nine who play it straight and clean, and this applies not only to the PPL freternaty, but through the ranks of Comm and ATP as well.
Unfortunatly it is this minority, that do our industry no good in the eyes of the general public.
Bet you a dollar to a dime one accident invoving fatalities puts us in a worse light than the water ski stunt, in the eyes of the public, and so it should be.
Hope that straightens it out.

currawong
6th Mar 2006, 10:16
Shrike200,

Get yourself a job with an Ag operator that works rice. Chances are he will not turn you loose untill you can do what these folks do.

Its a safety thing.

As for bad examples...Red Arrows, Blue Angels...all those nasty aerobatics at low level...downright dangerous:E

Shrike200
6th Mar 2006, 10:35
Of course, I should have thought of that - low level ops/judgement, tail draggers etc, that would do the trick. Just a pity you can't do that 'part time', away from the S&L at FL350 job. Doh!

Dammit
6th Mar 2006, 15:24
Shrike200 Give up flying and go back to your "Zimmer frame". Its a great desplay of skill. If pilots weren't prepaired to try new things you wouldn't have your CATII ILS. If it was pland and properly thought out then it is an example of good flying. You shouldn't be flying if you are scared of planes. Show respect but never be scared......

B Sousa
6th Mar 2006, 15:52
Get yourself a job with an Ag operator that works rice. Chances are he will not turn you loose untill you can do what these folks do.
Its a safety thing.
As for bad examples...Red Arrows, Blue Angels...all those nasty aerobatics at low level...downright dangerous

Currawong, you have been counting sheep too long. Ag operators do things like this not as a "Safety Thing" but as a "Lets see how good you really think you are, thing". Ag folks have a horrible safety record.

As to the demo teams being dangerous, sure, more than the average flyer. It goes with the territory and if you cant handle it you shouldnt be there. Danger for the most part is restricted to the participants. Albeit some get to close to the crowds as we have seen in the past.

Shrike200
7th Mar 2006, 05:57
Whoa! Slow down dude! Go and reread what I've posted - you'll find I said something like "I like great aviation stunts, and this is a great stunt!" Just look at the comments on the PPL thread, guys are even debating whether this was done in Photoshop - it's a great stunt!

I also subscribe to the thought that aircraft are fun, and exciting stunts by experienced pilots is all good. I suppose when I go for my next session of aerobatics, I'll have to skip packing the zimmer frame, it did tend to bounce around the cockpit the whole time - a real pain. (Previous sentence said in jest, just to clarify for you.)

I was just wondering how they, or anyone else (for example myself :E ) could gain that experience, maybe one day I'd also like to do things like that for displays. Clear enough?

Dammit
8th Mar 2006, 20:58
Shrike200. Good man :ok:. I take it all back :\

Sir Cumference
9th Mar 2006, 10:06
Fact is it was planned, undertaken and if the pictures are real, they provide proof of a very successful and unique display!

I am led to believe that the program "Aviation Action Africa" the first of which was aired this last month on Supersport 2, will have video footage of the stunt. I personally look forward to seeing it!

SC

J3ST3R
9th Mar 2006, 12:46
Fact is it was planned, undertaken and if the pictures are real, they provide proof of a very successful and unique display!
I am led to believe that the program "Aviation Action Africa" the first of which was aired this last month on Supersport 2, will have video footage of the stunt. I personally look forward to seeing it!
SC

Here is the flighting schedule for the Aviation Action episode featuring this stunt:

13 March @ 20h00 (SuperSport 1)
14 March @ 03h00 (SuperSport 1)
14 March @ 07h30 (SuperSport 1)
15 March @ 14h30 (SuperSport 2)
18 March @ 02h30 (SuperSport 1)
21 March @ 19h30 (SuperSport 1)

US student
14th Mar 2006, 05:20
I was recently really embarrassed by the photos of the Flying Lions over the Klipdrift dam.
I'm 100% sure that the Lions jumped through all the hoops required(excuse the pun!), did all the necessary briefings and prepared well for photo shoot, afterall they're all experienced and highly regarded pilots.

Neverless, when I was shown the photos by one of my colleagues I really felt embarrased. The question asked me was if this was if this was typical of SA pilots. What could I say..... Are the Lions really testing new skills and expanding the envelope? I mean we've been flying Harvards for a long time. 40 years ago, yes this is ground breaking. Today? I have my doubts

The guys who asked these questions are not monkeys, they're highly regarded aviators (ex-Chief Test pilot of NASA, ex-3 time space shuttle commander, Skunkworks chief engineer to mention a few!)

To a Leyman the photos are really impressive, so i'm sure they'll have the effect that was intended to the general public. But, is this really the impression we want to portray to the international flying community?

Like I say, first impressions last!

putco
14th Mar 2006, 06:05
I'm thinking the big difference between a NASA test pilot and the Flying Lions is that the latter haven't lost an aircraft yet! But you're right, the message is not great, just like feathering both engines, rolling and pouring iced tea - backhand!:ouch:

If you attempt this without planning and common sense you probably shouldn't be a passenger on an aircraft!

Lovely pictures, well done, move on.:ok:

B200Drvr
14th Mar 2006, 08:43
US Student, I am sure these fellows have watched the likes of Bob Hoover (mentioned above) Sean D Tucker and many other great American airshow/stunt pilots perform, just look at some of the flying in the movies. Thats all this was, a stunt performed by a very, very experienced team of stunt/airshow pilots, this was not done by a group of weekend warriors on the spur of the moment.
If the Americans had done it, they would have hailed it as great, which is what it truely was. Take nothing away from these performers, that was a performance second to none. Hats off.

Sir Cumference
14th Mar 2006, 08:53
I fully agree! This was something which was unique. Most stunts have been done before. Well done, great pics and video.

SC

reptile
14th Mar 2006, 17:08
The guys who asked these questions are not monkeys, they're highly regarded aviators (ex-Chief Test pilot of NASA, ex-3 time space shuttle commander, Skunkworks chief engineer to mention a few!

Must agree.....my good friend Stephen Hawking says the physics of that stunt just doesn't make sense.....I'm not even going to mention what my buddy Chuck Yeager said about that..............ha, ha, ha - you crack me up!!

pointer41
16th Mar 2006, 17:28
Guys and girls, what makes a professional pilot? What is flight safety? Can it be chopped and boxed into little pieces, today its okay but tomorrow it is not? Or today I will only look at this aspect of flight safety? What about the image you are portraying? Its okay to break to rules as long as you are sanctioned?

My hat of to the guys not agreeing with the stunt. Most pilots I have spoken to condemn it, and they are noteworthy beyond my meagre standing indeed. I am however, irrevocably of the opinion that it was a stunt of silly twits.

You make the decision every day to be responsible, or not. Your choice. Don't even try and tell me this stunt was responsible behaviour. Medical teams were on standby, as well as divers. Big deal, so much more witnesses to the prang that was never far off.

The point is, was and for ever still be: why take an aircraft so close to disaster? Why set this example? Why condone it? Why indeed, stop at one rule overboard? Why not all the rules while we are at it? And why, shoot down guys (gun me, I don't mind) that support sensible aviation and flight safety? Guys, why are insurance so high?

Currawrong - A comparison to the Red Arrows and Blue Angels? Are you nuts? Those are selected, trained methodically in phases to perform those aerobatics, with safety gates in abundance. Its their living! Don't even try to mud the name of professionals with a stunt like dragging wheels in the water!

Desperate Wannabe
16th Mar 2006, 18:45
A comparison to the Red Arrows and Blue Angels? Are you nuts? Those are selected, trained methodically in phases to perform those aerobatics, with safety gates in abundance. Its their living! Don't even try to mud the name of professionals with a stunt like dragging wheels in the water! and the likes of Scully Levin and Arnie Melhanghelli who make South Africa proud at every air show they display thier skill are not?
These guys have been proffesionals in aviation, since you were sh:mad: ting in your hands and wiping it on your face.
Do any of you doomsayers even remotely know what the hell you are talking about, the mind boggles at the "so called" inteligence in the cockpit these days, most of the readers on this forum, are so called professional pilots who have studied long and hard, well then prove to the rest of us that you are not just a bunch of over trained idiots and put that soft gel upstairs to work:
As for "Dragging wheels in the water" nothing could be further from the truth, have any of you ever come off a set of skis behnd a boat doing 40kts? Ever whatched some poor sod come off and bounce along the water for 100m??
Its like hitting f:mad: king concrete, so geniuses, whip out those dust covered calculators and do the math, the "hardness" of the water goes up by the square of the speed, if the water is akin to concrete at 40kts, what chance do you think there is of putting a wheel in at 90kts???
Not as long as you got a hole up your ass.
At 90kts, you will most certainly experience oleo compression and a bounce off the water, no diffirent to what you do on a tar runway every day.
What you see is no diffirent to doing a wheeler down Rwy 29 at Rand / 06 at Lanseria / 11 at Wonderboom, you choose, hear me....NO DIFFIRENT.
Same dymanics that let you skip stones over water.
Granted, engine failure would spoil your day, but anyone that flys over water were they are not able to glide to shore is facing the exact same outcome, even if they are at 500ft, dithing.
And the loss of an engine and a NORMAL ditching is the worst case senario for these guys.
And when you loose the motor on your puddle jumper over the vaal on your scenic flight, I don't see any of you with standby divers just in case.
You can never grow as a pilot if you do not push it ever so slightly now and again.
Grow up and maybe you might just grow some balls, you nanny nusemaids make me sick:yuk:

reptile
16th Mar 2006, 18:52
i may be wrong p41.....but i recall a certain pointer doing a low level flypast in a van, with the prop feathered, during the SAAF 80 airshow . Can't recall too much of an outcry over that. High risk, high profile (and at that time against the LMU).

If you brief, train, and stick to the plan, the level of danger is lower - simple equation. This doesn't mean a 40hr ppl will get away with it.

But then again, 40hr ppl's should be concentrating on tricky stuff - like radio work.

So the civvies are one up.....get over it. :E

currawong
16th Mar 2006, 23:40
tee hee:}

Ok pointer41, valid points.

But consider this. 80% of the time in my logbook is in ground effect. Day after day, night after night. Yes, night, moon or no moon.

So perhaps I have a different perspective to you. No drama, just a job.

As for "selected, trained, safety gates". Does your licensing not provide this?

nugpot
17th Mar 2006, 13:27
The point is, was and for ever still be: why take an aircraft so close to disaster? Why set this example? Why condone it? Why indeed, stop at one rule overboard? Why not all the rules while we are at it? And why, shoot down guys (gun me, I don't mind) that support sensible aviation and flight safety? Guys, why are insurance so high?

To answer any of these questions, you have to subscribe to the theory that this is a very dangerous stunt. Owning various T-shirts, I don't.

J3ST3R
22nd Mar 2006, 12:36
... but at 25fps, this video is worth 3 200 000!

For the unfortunate souls who either don't have access to DStv, or those who missed it, herewith (http://www.flightzone.co.za/media/harvards.wmv) an edited version of the insert broadcast on SuperSport's "Aviation Action"

(The clip has been edited down to 2 minutes, from its original 15 minutes, so basically all the commentary has been edited out.)

Copyright

Video: Supersport & Blue Sky Productions
Audio: FreePlayMusic

CR2
31st Mar 2006, 06:17
I hope this isn't a repost. A colleague emailed me these photos and text below; thought I'd share them with you.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/greenlander/DSC1327.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/greenlander/DSC1304.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/greenlander/DSC1271.jpg

Early morning anglers are treated to the spectacle of four T6 Harvard
Aircraft from The Flying Lions Aerobatic Team waterskiing across the
Klipdrift Dam near Johannesburg South Africa.

Lead by Scully Levin, with wingmen Arnie Meneghelli, Stewart Lithgow and
Ellis Levin, this renowned airshow display team rehearse a sequence
for the newly launched "Aviation Action" television program on Supersport.
Arnie Meneghelli from Academy Brushware, owner of the aircraft, had this to
say, "What we did today I believe is a world first. It illustrates that
South African airshow pilots are amongst the best in the world".

This unusual act, approved by the South African Civil Aviation Authority
(CAA), and supported by Castrol Aviation, was meticulously planned and
took place under the watchfull eye of divers and paramedics that were on
site.

Desperate Wannabe
31st Mar 2006, 06:44
Yep, Quite awesome, see thread "Silly Twits! Flying Tiger Harvards" elsewhere in this forum and you can see the nannies moaning and groaning:yuk:

CR2
31st Mar 2006, 08:52
Ah ok.

4HP/JD, close this if you wish.

BB954
31st Mar 2006, 08:58
I saw a photo of the ag-pilots from Agricair in Harare doing this stunt with the Thrush Commander crop sprayers on the Mazoe dam but that was many years ago!

nutcracker43
31st Mar 2006, 09:32
Re the wet runway used by our chums at Klipdrift dam please see:

http://www.flightzone.co.za/media/harvards.wmv

NC43

J3ST3R
31st Mar 2006, 09:44
I could have sworn that's what I said above! :}

nutcracker43
31st Mar 2006, 09:49
Probably did...just did't see your post...sorry to steal you thunder.

NC43

J3ST3R
31st Mar 2006, 11:47
No worries NC43. The more people excited about stunts like this one, the better! :)

GreenOnGo
31st Mar 2006, 11:54
Well done guys! :ok:

411 B
1st Apr 2006, 08:45
Fantastic! Well Done:cool: :cool:

B Sousa
1st Apr 2006, 14:04
Looks like a very precise job by these folks. However, continual testing of the surely bonds of earth will no doubt lead to someone also being tested on their swimming abilities.

countryboy
2nd Apr 2006, 06:12
[reptile]i may be wrong p41.....but i recall a certain pointer doing a low level flypast in a van, with the prop feathered, during the SAAF 80 airshow . Can't recall too much of an outcry over that. High risk, high profile (and at that time against the LMU).

Feathering a C-208 prop is relative low risk and within the old and new rules of the LMU and ASM. At no stage is the engine shut down, get your facts straight. This is also done with sufficient runway ahead to land back if something should happen.

Furthermore, "stunts" like barnstorming is NOT airshows, it is stunts. Airshows dispays aircraft capability and pilot training. Stunts displays braveness and has nothing to do with the aircraft capability nor the pilots ability.

I have to agree with P-41, this was just silly and proves nothing. I don't even want to think what the next big thing is going to be - how about the smirnoff mirror with the bottom aircraft on the same dam?:oh:

Milt
2nd Apr 2006, 09:01
Beware prospective aquaplaners - any significant wave will be just as "solid" as the smooth water surface and will not too neatly remove the landing gear.

Spodman
4th Apr 2006, 04:10
Saw a post somewhere in there to the effect this should not be done in a tri-gear, have a look at the (admittedly crappy) picture of the Defiant doing it here:
http://www.terf.com/RAFCDROM.htm

Course the Defiant is a bit special, having the nose gear retracted!

Ace Man
16th Sep 2006, 02:20
:) http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2006-3-28_harvards.wmv (http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2006-3-28_harvards.wmv):)

MercenaryAli
16th Sep 2006, 02:36
A whole lot of EGO driven tossers to a man. Bad example of what flying is about. And dont anyone quote the CAA gave permission etc as they are no better!............. the ones that think they know anything about flying that is.

You say you are arrogant and do not suffer fools gladly.

Look in the mirror - you will no doubt see a fool!

This is STUNT flying - carefully rehearsed, carfully planned and executed and obviously with the approval of the relevant authority.

And you CLAIM to be a pilot ? I should think of taking a job in the Social Services. :ugh:

thrushdriver
16th Sep 2006, 04:06
Ag pilots have a bad name, mostly caused by comments by people who have a conception that we are anything but proffessional. Most of our lives are spent low level in heavy aircraft that would rather be on the ground. If an Ag pilot does not have a proffessional approach to his job he will not survive, I mean that in literal terms and in the fact that he will not hold a job if he is caught doing stupid things.

Water skiing is a fireable offence in nearly every Spray company that I know of. Must be a reason for this.

Thrushdriver

Gilksy
16th Sep 2006, 18:11
Cherokee 6?! LOL, trying to do this in a tricycle is a sure ticket for a Darwin award nomination.....

HAHAHA

Wasn't Scully in the lead aircraft? Anyone heard the rumour how he got the name scully?

Gilksy

Miragepilote
17th Sep 2006, 16:02
Is it because they wanted to call him Brainy?

But they couldn't find one so they called him the next best thing up there, Scully....????:} :} hehehehe:p :p