PDA

View Full Version : GPS Antenna for EFB

4HolerPoler
23rd Feb 2006, 14:35
I'm trying to run a Jeppview Flitedeck EFB - don't have any GPS feed in the cockpit so I need a portable GPS antenna - currently using an Interrep IR-310. On the ground it gets the signal but as soon as I'm airborne there's no way I can get a signal wherever I site the antenna on the glareshield or side-windows. Anyone using a similar antenna with better gain? I saw a crew recently with a "blue tooth" box about the size of an I-Pod that worked with mixed results.

Thanks for any steers.

4HP

PPRuNe Towers
23rd Feb 2006, 14:41
Fly cutter and a bit of silicon bath sealant worked fine for us. :E :E Secret is too keep the drill speed low for the acrylic layer and stay down at FL260 - 280 for best TAS and min differential:ok: :ok: Perfect nav and none of that RVSM silliness.

Responsibly yours,
Rob

SnowPilot
23rd Feb 2006, 21:14
I use a bluetooth connection and leave a portable rechargeable gps on the windshield.

http://www.anywheremap.com/detail.aspx?ID=171

refplus20
25th Feb 2006, 21:23
What aircraft do you fly? Has it got heated windows? If so the heating elements embedded in the windows can cause signal attenuation. I use the Microsoft GPS receiver that come with Autoroute in my copy of Jeppesen Flightdeck and that works OK even with the heated windows. Maybe try a SIRF III GPS receiver. That would increase the sensitivity.
:D

ww2flyer
28th Feb 2006, 05:06
Like the last reply mentioned in the plane I fly we had the same problem, heated windows. I took a feed off the egpws using an rs232 convertor plugged it into the efb and we went paperless. We did a study with blue tooth but it was too unreliable for the distances that were involved.

erikv
28th Feb 2006, 07:12
In my previous life I've flown a lot with my Garmin handheld with GA26 external antenna. This antenna is pre-amplified and works quite well behind electrically heated windshields. I've tried it in over a dozen a/c types ranging from TPs to a Fokker 100.

Erik.

4HolerPoler
28th Feb 2006, 10:15
Thanks for all the assistance & advice so far. A pre-amp antenna is a good idea but the input to the EFB is a USB plug so I don't think that a Garmin antenna will work.

Some of the windows on the a/c are heated & some not - that doesn't seem to be the problem. I'm leaning towards trying a SIRF III antenna. A RS232 feed would be best - that'll be the only way if I can't get a portable antenna to work reliably.

4HP