PDA

View Full Version : Ipod / W98 question

G-AZUK
23rd Feb 2006, 14:23
Hi all, I got bought an Ipod (Nano) but run W98 on my PC, so cannot load Itunes - does anyone have any recommendations of getting round this, have heard I can possibly download my CD's using realplayer or winamp but don’t know enough about either to know how this would work?? :ok:

Captain Sensible
23rd Feb 2006, 14:41
I had the same problem; Pentium III 512 RAM, after nagging from Ipod-enabled wife, ended up biting the bullet and buying an OEM XP Home, reformatting and installing it, the 6 year old computer runs much, much better, ( at time of writing, that is!!!).

Devlin Carnet
23rd Feb 2006, 14:47
I can tell you what I had to do,
you need access to an xp machine to format the ipod for use on a Pc because they are I believe defaulted to apple.
you need a win98 fix
here http://win98.drivers.w.interia.pl/ipod.html
this allows ipod to be seen as a mass storage device,
then you need winamp and the ipod addon
here http://winamp.com
then with a bit of fussing about you can put tunes from winamp to ipod.
thats the way I did it anyway, maybe someone More intelligent than me
can make it easier for you.
Regards.

Conan the Librarian
23rd Feb 2006, 18:11
Wow! If it comes to buying and installing XP on an old computer, it almost pays for itself to buy a cheap but complete PC. Available now for about £270 complete with screen. Obviously, it is even cheaper still, just to get a base unit, but there are some deals today that will give you a new machine for peanuts, if you subtract the purchase price of the OS from the equation.

If you did that, you could maybe go Win 2K or Linux on the oldie.

Conan

Daveuk
23rd Feb 2006, 20:12
I installed an Ipod on my Windows 98Se machine two years ago, even though Apple will tell you it can't be done.
You obviously can't use Itunes but I use a utility called EphPod which works perfectly, the method I used to install the Ipod is a bit convoluted but I have it all written down and I've helped other people with the process.
If you'd like me to help you send me a PM.
Dave
:)

pistulaza
26th Feb 2006, 22:54
Use Musicmatch.