PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning screens

BALIX
23rd Feb 2006, 11:58
Recently got my first LCD monitor and a brand new laptop. Due to a combination of kids and cats, they are both covered in finger/paw prints and could do with a bit of a clean. I'm a bit aprehensive about squirting Mr Sheen onto them and giving them a good rub with a yellow duster so I'm asking you lot as to the acceptable way of doing it.

OK, it might not be a huge computer problem but nevertheless...

patdavies
23rd Feb 2006, 12:14
Recently got my first LCD monitor and a brand new laptop. Due to a combination of kids and cats, they are both covered in finger/paw prints and could do with a bit of a clean. I'm a bit aprehensive about squirting Mr Sheen onto them and giving them a good rub with a yellow duster so I'm asking you lot as to the acceptable way of doing it.
OK, it might not be a huge computer problem but nevertheless...

Anti-static cleaning liquid and a micro cloth (like the ones for spectacle cleaning).

Any computer retailer should be able to sell you a kit to do this.

DON'T use Mr Sheen or similar as this leaves a residue

Conan the Librarian
23rd Feb 2006, 12:30
Newer and better LCD screens have a thin sheet of glass, but the majority have a soft plastic film and and even slight pressure can do harm, so whatever you use (for me, monitor spray or scrren wipes) be CAREFUL :}

Conan

Oxeagle
23rd Feb 2006, 13:24
At work I tend to use anti-static cleaning wipes which were ordered from 'The Consortium', and those are good for cleaning pretty much everything including monitors

hobie
23rd Feb 2006, 15:18
Micro Fibre Lens Cloth for glasses ..... soaked in warm water and squeezed dry(ish) ..... perfect for my LCD ..... I'm told it's important that the screen is 'off' and 'un-plugged' from the mains ....

It works for me .... :p