PDA

View Full Version : Get in on the ground floor...

SASless
23rd Feb 2006, 03:01
These folks have come up with a splendid idea on how to defeat the rising costs of aviation in the UK due to the burdensome regulatory system and user fees. A wise investor might want to get in early and ride the tide as this is bound to be the wave of the future for UK aviation.

http://www.heli-chair.com/

I might add....it is one heck of a lot safer than flying in a Robbie!

vaqueroaero
23rd Feb 2006, 04:32
Doesn't help much with SFAR 73 though does it?

gadgetguru
23rd Feb 2006, 04:49
I might add....it is one heck of a lot safer than flying in a Robbie!

unless one is trying to learn to hover it in (too) close proximity to ones seat... :eek:

& even now with a seat pretty much the major aspect of the device - it still appears to be the most uncomfortable design possible - what is it with these manufacturers! :}

oldbeefer
23rd Feb 2006, 12:13
Yeah - Try turning the heli through 180 degrees and see what happens!

bellfest
23rd Feb 2006, 12:48
I'm wondering what would cost more. The running costs of an R22 or replacing one of those little jiggers each time a student destroys one.
SAS you should stop knocking the R22 so much mate. If you had operational exposure to them and realised what they are capable of and how reliable they are when they are looked after properly than you might realise that it is not the aircraft, it is the type of pilot that it attracts. If the R22 wasn't around they would all be bending the next biggest thing.

Gerhardt
23rd Feb 2006, 14:58
I think he's just having some fun and doesn't mean harm to anyone. The R22 is fun to poke fun of and you're right that if it didn't exist people would be joking about the next one in line. I'm taking my checkride in a Robbie next week, but I've run out of money so the heli-chair is starting to look attractive.

SASless
23rd Feb 2006, 15:13
Bellfest,

When does one decide the ice is too thin to walk on? I guess we all have our own standard....some like to jump up and down and feel no give...some will bore a hole and measure the thickness...some will creep out listening to the creaking and groaning of the ice...some will weigh the sinking and giving of the ice....before they turn back for shore.

If you don't mind the creaking and groaning....the sinking of the ice...and being able to see the fish swimming around under your feet....fair dinkum.

Me...I will keep my reasonably intact hide on the shore and watch all you other guys ice skating thank you.

Flashover999
23rd Feb 2006, 19:00
We all have to start somewhere and it will be the R22 drivers who will one day be flying in the bigger ships. I will remember where I came from and how i got there and be thankfull that the little robbie helped me to get there. So much snobbery in the heli world, nearly as bad as the Airline world.

As for the video. flying tail in is ok. Nose the model in and it becomes a totally different animal. Reverse the controls on your helicopter and see how you get on. My Nexus is in a box because left became right and right became left!!!

bellfest
23rd Feb 2006, 21:51
SAS
The ice is fine mate. It's the same thickness as it is over there on lake AS350 and so on. The skaters, well, they are skating here because admission is cheap and they are not competent enough to tackle the lakes where the pros like to go.
You don't get the best selling helicopter in the world if it is mechanically unsound. I jumped back in one a few years back after 6 years or so and I must admit, after flying around in bigger aircraft it wasn't the most comfortable I have been but I am sure that just like I was when I was in them a lot, I would get comfy fast and rely on the helicopter like I would any other.
There are lots of Fords in car crashes, that is not because they are an unsafe car it is because there is a lot of Fords on the road...

maxeemum
24th Feb 2006, 07:46
I don't think Mr Robinson when he conceived his idea of the R22/44 family thought that because his machine was cheaper than other manufacturers it would end up being used for everything from sight seeing to mustering.

The original design was for Small business owners, execs, pilot training etc to have a helo that they could get from A to B in without too many checks and too much tech. Cessna has the same idea with the C-150, C-172 etc.

The Robinson is well made true and there are plenty of them around (due to the low cost of $$$$) however you get what you pay for.

As long as folks are realistic about the machine they fly in terms of its and their own capabilites, life is good.

Incomming!!!!!

:{

Lama Bear
24th Feb 2006, 12:13
I am so happy that I will never have to fly a Robbie but on another note. The Heli-Chair must have been designed by Bell. They spared no expense on the pilot's seat.

SASless
24th Feb 2006, 12:21
For some reason...old Nick is remaining quiet about the seat comments.