PDA

View Full Version : Robin, Ju Jitsu and any others?

Conan the Librarian
22nd Feb 2006, 15:19
Bedtime reading once again, after relocating "Spy Flights of the Cold War" by Paul Lashmar (and an excellent book too) tells of - Yes - You guessed it. Wondering if anyone has any memories or unclassified knowledge of UK involvement in the above operations or indeed others.

A potentially touchy subject, so be confident that whatever you might say is already in the public domain. (I say this to prevent somebody posting a warning themselves)

Looking forward to this one! (Or the deafening sound of silence)

Conan

jabberwok
22nd Feb 2006, 16:18
Are you hinting about the Canberra penetrations into Russia? :ooh:

I caught the final few minutes of a program about this - probably Discovery Wings. I'd not heard about these before so it was an eye opener..

Conan the Librarian
22nd Feb 2006, 17:10
The Canberra was the major player, but also RAF pilots on U-2 and the RB-45s in RAF roundels as well. This is interesting stuff, so historians, and any older RAF members in particular, might have something to share, or so I hope...

Conan

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Feb 2006, 17:53
Have to say fellas that if this thread drifts into books I will merged it into the book thread. Just so it is clear that we do not allow multiple posts on one subject. Them'[s is the rules.

PPP

JDK
22nd Feb 2006, 20:57
The Air Atlantique folks were telling me that they have some interesting info on the use of their Percival Pembroke for Berlin Corridor type spy flights. Worth contacting them if that's of interest, and that's an untold tale from what I understand.

Conan the Librarian
23rd Feb 2006, 12:10
Hopefully Pop, the thread will stand on its own two feet, though as far as I am aware, the book mentioned, is the most researched and concise source available, so although it may be referred to, it would be only as a springboard for discussion here.

Interesting about the Pembroke, though I wonder whether that was exercising the National right to operate military aircraft within that particular airspace, as opposed to active Sig/Com/Elint operations (I think that is one of the main reasons for flights into Gibraltar, though I as usual, may be wrong)

I was very surprised to discover the depth of the Cold War RAF involvement. I would have said alleged involvement, but the sources seem impeccably researched and the supporting interviews with the navigator of the RB-45 (Rex Sanders) leave very little room for misinterpretation. Names kown to me that were involved, such as John Crampton (OC 101) and Micky Martin, late of 617 sqn.

It was eye opening to learn of the co ordination between the Comets, standing off several miles and the Canberras which went in low level and then popped up to cajole the radars into action.

Sure the Sneaky Beaks still have a job to do, though I expect that nobody is going to say anything on that score. If we concentrate on the older involvement, then nobody is going to get their knickers in a twist. This is a subject that could use further discussion. Much is now in the public domain and it would be good to gather some thoughts and memories whilst people are still here to give their views. In 15 or 20 years, it will not be quite so easy.

Conan

VP8
23rd Feb 2006, 12:42
I remember well the 60SQN Pemmie flights out of Wildenrath in the late 70's early 80's whilst stationed there, plodding down the air corridors to Gatow on Friday and plod back on Monday, must have given the Reds a terrible fright :E

VEEPS

teeteringhead
23rd Feb 2006, 15:25
Have you seen the Spyflight Website? (http://www.spyflight.co.uk/main.htm) Produced by a mate of mine, but I don't know how well known it is....

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Feb 2006, 15:54
OK. I'll accept ONE title but if more books are 'offered' it goes into the book thread - that's it guys.

PPP

Conan the Librarian
23rd Feb 2006, 18:23
Teeteringhead, that site is superb. Have only just had a quick skim, but it is just the sort of resource I was looking for and heartily recommend it to everyone here.

Going back there now for a closer look. Sure there will be some very interesting discussion points therein.

Cracker, TH :}

Conan

Conan the Librarian
1st Mar 2006, 01:05
Just heard a trailer for a new programme, commencing on the world Service on March 13th. entitled "Secret Wars" There was mention of "secret" flights, but as it was in the background and I was busy Photoshopping, didn't really plug in until the trailer was over. It may well be something regarding Rendition flights, but you never know.

Haven't time to Google up any more info at present, but there we have it.

Conan

LowNSlow
1st Mar 2006, 08:21
The spyflights site is very interesting. With the boot on the other foot, how many Iron & Bamboo Curtain aircraft have been shot down by the Western powers?

airborne_artist
1st Mar 2006, 09:47
In my days in green we used to get trips on the British Military train that ran every day from Hannover to Berlin - once over the IGB we'd have guys on both sides of the carriage clocking and logging. I well remember the Hips that would buzz the train at 50'.

In Berlin we'd get in a very shiny Range Rover and go through Checkpoint C and into the Russian zone. The drivers knew the area very well, and we'd go anywhere to get a good view of camps etc., including the top of the municipal tip.

Another interesting posting was BrixMiss - the guys who'd follow Russian and GDR troop movements, etc. Whenever a unit moved off they'd comb the area for anything. Clearly the QM had been short of loo paper, as they recovered large parts of a manual for some sigs kit that had been used in place of Bronco. Glad I didn't have the job of cleaning it :ok: