PDA

View Full Version : pilots available at short notice?

strabor
22nd Feb 2006, 13:02
I run an R44 helicopter based at Denham and there is occasional pilot work available. Where does one go to find pilots available at short notice for such work?

Bravo73
22nd Feb 2006, 13:21
Have you tried asking at your neighbours, HeliAir? They certainly have plenty of R44 pilots passing through their doors. Maybe ask around at Helicopter Services at Wycombe as well.

Otherwise, you occasionally see adverts for this sort of thing in Helidata. That might work.

However, you might struggle to find the type of pilots that you're probably looking for (ie with a bit of experience). There will be no end of low time CPLs with R44 ratings willing to bite your arm off for the work. Your insurers might not be so happy with them though!

HTH,

B73

strabor
22nd Feb 2006, 13:54
Yes have tried those avenues and still can get caught without a pilot due to lack of availability

mrwellington
22nd Feb 2006, 14:02
:confused: mayby pay somebody a retainer to have them stick around might solve your problems. Very common practice if you want a deus ex machina.

Bravo73
22nd Feb 2006, 14:04
What sort of 'short notice' are we talking about here? Minutes, hours, days?

Because it stands to reason that the shorter the notice, the larger your 'pilot pool' is going to have to be. Which means 'network, network, network'.

Otherwise, to guarantee pilot availability, it sounds like you might have to pay someone a retainer. Then you would effectively have priority over their services.

But sorry if this sounds like an 'egg sucking class'! ;) I'm sure you've probably covered these options already.

strabor
22nd Feb 2006, 14:25
Between 1 and 3 days

Up & Away
22nd Feb 2006, 15:42
"run an R44 helicopter"
Its this an AOC operation?
Should n't all pilots be LPC/OPC line checked etc before.
What are the requirements in your Ops Manual etc.
If you are only hireing out this aircraft its up to the hirer to find pilot if he/she is not one already

puntosaurus
22nd Feb 2006, 19:40
I may be able to help, check your PMs

Spandit
23rd Feb 2006, 12:45
What sort of work is it?

jason22
26th Feb 2006, 11:20
I have just seen that you are looking for an R44 pilot, I would be intersted in hearing more about this job, I have aprox 700 hours and have just finished all of my jaa atpl written exams, and will be doing the flight test shortly.