PDA

View Full Version : Fog in Agra on Mon? Astraeus diverted

London legend
22nd Feb 2006, 11:04
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes...

My parents were on an Astraeus flight to Agra on this Monday, the 20th of Feb, departing at 3pm ish from LGW (I'm sorry - I've searched and searched but can't find exact flight number details anywhere), and arriving at about 6am local time the following day.

However I got a distressed phone call from them yesterday, saying they'd been forced to land in Ahmadabad (400 miles away!) because of fog at Agra. They were being put up four to a room in a local hotel, and as far as I know haven't yet reached Agra, but road or by air.

I did a search yesterday for weather conditions in Agra, and it seemed to be pretty clear. I know that fog can be very localised, but I just wondered why they would land so far away, when Delhi and Jaipur, (and several others) are much nearer? Does anyone know? Is there more to this than meets the eye?

Thanks very much.

rsoman
22nd Feb 2006, 15:25
Nothing fishy - The fog did hit DEL that day as you can see from the report below.

http://www.newkerala.com/news2.php?action=fullnews&id=13591

Most likely AGR and JAI would have been affected as well. And even if JAI was not, the airport I don't think has acres and acres of real estate like LGW (read parking stands) - plus there has to be some one available at short notice to receive the guests (read- customs and immigration). JAI is an international airport, but not too many flights land there. Most of the other nearby airports are Domestic airports.On that score, Ahmedabad would have been the nearest suitable terra firma!!!

Old King Coal
23rd Feb 2006, 17:18
The fog was indeed a big issue at numerous airports that day.
From what I understand of it, the aircraft made a (SRA?) approach at Agra and, at the approach minima, the pilots did not obtain the required visual references and so did a ‘go-around’ (which is precisely what the crew is required to do – i.e. the safe & legal thing).
What then followed was that Agra's airport Control Tower decided (for some, as yet, unknown & unexplained reason) to prohibit the aircraft from doing another approach (which is what the crew wanted to do, i.e. have another look at it, as the weather seemed to be improving) and therein Agra ATC’s withdrawal of SRA service forced the flight to divert. Worse still, when the flight arrived at the diversion airport it was then subjected to yet more Indian bureaucracy.
The moral of the story is, divert in Europe and it’s a 'non-event' - but do the same in India and, well, go figure !!! :eek: :ooh: :eek: :{ :*

AEUSkinner
24th Feb 2006, 21:15
Yes it was heavy foggy weather. Astraeus did everything in their power to get people there but unfortunately we can't control the weather yet. I think this is the reason for the times of the flights and also not doing them in the summer as it happens more frequently in the summer.

rsoman
25th Feb 2006, 02:23
Yes it was heavy foggy weather. Astraeus did everything in their power to get people there but unfortunately we can't control the weather yet. I think this is the reason for the times of the flights and also not doing them in the summer as it happens more frequently in the summer.

No - the fog is hardly prevalent in summer in North India. The reason for more flights in winter is more likely due to the heat being too much for the "sensitive" westerners (the curry is usually hot enough!). Look at Vaughan and Co- already half the chaps are dehydrated!!!