PDA

View Full Version : Working for Emerald

leelea
22nd Feb 2006, 07:09
Hi everyone.

I know this might have been posted before but i just want some current info on Terms and Conditions with Emerald.
I'm looking at their self sponsored scheme for the 330 or 748.
I understand you do the ground school then wait in the pool until a position appears. How long do you normally wait?
Will you only do the flight training if a position becomes available?
What is the average hours for flight training on type. They quote 8 hours minimum, but what is the average most people get through on.
What is the pay like. On PPJN it quotes 18k per annum and £1.50 flight or duty pay? What is the average take home pay per month for a new starter.
Thanks for any help or info.

Fred Shed
22nd Feb 2006, 11:20
Leelea,
Terms are: you pay your money and take your chance - no job is for certain.
Expect low pay and to work hard sometimes at short notice.
You will gain a lot of experience fast and work with a good team of people.
Would't be wise to ask for a rating on the 330 as they don't operate them anymore, only 360's. You can go straight into line flying if the timing is right, but usually you'll be in the pool. The way the market is at the moment I don't think you would wait long in the pool. You wouldn't do any line training until there was a job for you. Wouldn't make sense to pay you for sitting around.
If you pay for the rating (@£9000) but it could be more now you will get about 9 hours of flying (thats a JAR thing). Thats what is was when I worked there anyway.
Hope it helps, good luck.

smellster
22nd Feb 2006, 16:28
Hello Fred Shed, how's things with you? Are you still at hanging on at Emerald?

Leelea I really wouldn't pay any money up front if you can at all help it, it's not worth the risk with Emerald. See if you can get bonded, or maybe they could take some money out of your already fairly small salary every month.

Fred Shed
23rd Feb 2006, 13:24
Those were the days: "Loved the smell of jet fuel in the morning"
(after it had vented all over me).
And those immortal words "Nothing wrong with the valves buddy".

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Feb 2006, 16:02
I think I still have a jacket that stinks of Jet after a "venting incident!" A great piece of British design...

Leelea, Its 360's only at JEM now (unless Beavis has resurrected WA or is it still in EIN?)

There still seems to be movement from the fleets, so I can't imagine you having to wait too long but I wouldn't pay for a rating though.

Get an ATR rating and go and work for Contractors if you are desperate to fly freight and pay for a rating.

Germstone
23rd Feb 2006, 18:04
unless Beavis has resurrected WA .
dead on the fire ground at BLK

Fred Shed
24th Feb 2006, 09:47
WA still in Blackpool I think. Sold off going back to USA (in bits).
Does anyone how the TCAS thing will affect the fleet at the end of March?

There was a nice picture on the wall at EIN, WA being lifted off the runway by a big crane.

Say again s l o w l y
24th Feb 2006, 09:56
Is that still going on about TCAS.....? That'll be a nice bill unless they get another dispensation.

Fred Shed
24th Feb 2006, 10:12
I thought the CAA were all out of dispensations.

EI-CGO
24th Feb 2006, 10:20
Is that still going on about TCAS.....? That'll be a nice bill unless they get another dispensation.

31st March is the drop dead date, I know for a fact the CAA are not doing to grant any more dispensations.

Fred Shed
24th Feb 2006, 10:26
All that is needed is a colour printer and some photographic paper.
Print out a couple of TCAS displays stick em in with a bit of gaffer tape and Bob's your uncle, mums the word!

Say again s l o w l y
24th Feb 2006, 10:30
Ooh you old cynic! Don't forget the tape recorder for the aural call outs!

Have the GPS database's been updated yet aswell?

Fred Shed
24th Feb 2006, 11:25
"Day VFR only" Buddy

Dreamweaver
24th Feb 2006, 12:02
Smellster, remember the 'SELF DESTRUCT' button we erm.. you installed on WA to add value? Seems like someone pushed it:}

DW

Germstone
24th Feb 2006, 17:27
[QUOTE=Fred Shed]WA still in Blackpool I think. Sold off going back to USA (in bits).
QUOTE]

bits containered to the states WA carcass on the fireground @ BLK

one dot right
24th Feb 2006, 17:43
WA carcass on fireground @ BLK

Couldn't happen to a nicer piece of cr@p!

Say again s l o w l y
24th Feb 2006, 18:03
Poor old WA, just because she was slow, uncomfortable, unreliable and climbed like a brick doesn't mean to say it was a bad machine.

Hang on... It was a bag of cr*p. Good riddance! JEMX next on the list as well. Like flying a banana that one.

ToneTheWone
24th Feb 2006, 20:09
And you could never trim her out as well as WP. Dispite all her faults (and she had many - anybody remember her dodgy fuel guage!!) had some good laughs in WA.

Rest in peace WA:{

Germstone
25th Feb 2006, 00:12
slow, uncomfortable, unreliable and climbed like a brick .

all done for fleet commonality ;-)

NG708
25th Feb 2006, 09:00
Ah, fond memories here! Often remember all this as I cruise down over WAL at FL400!

Seriously Fred, any chance of a copy of that pic of WA in EIN if you go out again?

What did happen to it there?