PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter with four aboard missing - QLD

Lynx206
21st Feb 2006, 19:25
A HELICOPTER with four people aboard is missing in the Mount Kelly area, about 100km north of Mount Isa in central Queensland.
The four-seater Robinson R44 helicopter left Mount Isa airport early yesterday with a 28-year-old woman pilot.
Police say she picked up three male passengers at Mount Gordon to take them to conduct a geological survey of the Mount Gordon and Mount Kelly areas.
Initial investigations suggest the helicopter was due to be at the Mount Kelly landing strip by about 4.15pm (AEST) before returning to Mount Isa by 7.30pm.
It did not turn up at the Mount Kelly landing site.
There have been reports a helicopter was heard in the Mount Kelly area about 4.15pm and again at 5.15pm.
The national search and rescue organisation, AUSSAR, has conducted an aerial search of the area and four helicopters and two fixed-wing aircraft will continue the search at first light.
The helicopter was fitted with a crash-activated beacon, a hand-held beacon and a portable satellite telephone.
AUSSAR said no emergency beacons have been activated in the area.
Source: News.com.au

B Sousa
22nd Feb 2006, 01:15
I wonder why it was mentioned that it was a "28 year Old Woman" Would it have made a difference......Not very nice
Fingers crossed for their safety...........

sling load
22nd Feb 2006, 01:58
Helicopter crash kills four
By Cameron Atfield
22feb06
A HELICOPTER crash in northwest Queensland has claimed the lives of all four people on board, air safety authorities say.

The wreckage of the Robinson R44 helicopter, which had been missing since yesterday, was found late this morning.

The chopper was found in inaccessible country near Mt Gordon, northwest of Mt Isa.

The terrain was so rugged that authorities were unable to send a vehicle to the crash site and used a helicopter to winch down a searcher to examine the wreckage.

A Civil Aviation Safety Authority spokesman said searchers found no survivors.

The spokesman said the Australian Transport Safety Bureau would send an investigation team to the crash site.

The four-seater helicopter, operated by North Australian Helicopters Pty Ltd, left Mount Isa airport about 6.30am yesterday.

It refuelled at Mt Gordon airport and the female pilot, 28, picked up three male passengers.

They were to conduct a geological survey of the Mt Gordon and Mt Kelly area.

The helicopter was due to land at Mt Kelly at 4.15pm and return to Mt Isa by 7.30pm. It never arrived at Mt Kelly, although there were reports of a helicopter being heard in the area between 4.15pm and 5.15pm.

Earlier today, Australian Search and Rescue spokeswoman Tracey Jiggins said the search had been centred on a 720sq km area near Mt Kelly, about 100km north of Mt Isa.

"The main reason we're searching there is the helicopter was due there at last light last night and a helicopter was heard there at about 5pm," she said.

"The area is undulating with rocky outcrops and it is quite rugged."

Ms Jiggins said two fixed-wing aircraft, a Queensland Police Search and Rescue helicopter and three local helicopters had been involved in the search.

"The locals know the terrain very well," she said.

The helicopter was fitted with a crash-activated radio location beacon, a hand-held beacon and a portable satellite phone.

No emergency beacons were activated, according to AusSAR

SASless
22nd Feb 2006, 02:25
A sad time for sure...this kind of news brings us all closer together as it reminds us of the common bond we all share while doing our flying. No matter if you know the people or not. Prayers and condolences to the families and friends of those lost.

Gas Producer
22nd Feb 2006, 03:18
If anybody knows anymore than the press at this stage could you PM me? I did a 206 endorsement last year for a really nice girl who was due to work somewhere up in the bush. Age seems about right. Thanks.

GP

Nigel Osborn
22nd Feb 2006, 03:36
In Oz, the media seems to like to give the gender & age of anyone who creates a news story.
That area is a pretty rough bit of countryside, not the best place for serious mechanical problems or easy rescues for that matter.
RIP to those involved.

pohm1
22nd Feb 2006, 03:42
Not sure I'd agree that the media will give the gender and age, it usually only includes the sex when the stereotype is not met, ie the female pilot, male kindergarden teacher etc. I doubt the news would have reported "a 28 year old male pilot"

It seems that, if read with a cynical slant, the sex of the person involved may have something to do with the incident.

I am in no way suggesting that this is the case. Sympathy to all involved.

What-ho Squiffy!
22nd Feb 2006, 04:20
In my experience, the Australian media almost always give the age and sex, whether the latter is in the form of "woman", "man", "male", "female". This from me, a person who thinks the media are a bunch of *****! Soft in my old age.

RIP to the poor souls on board.

Diatryma
22nd Feb 2006, 04:49
Pilot V.S. RIP
Condolences to all families and friends.

Di

helmet fire
22nd Feb 2006, 05:20
Lets stop here now before the arguement gets going.

Lets use this thread for condolences, support and memories.

I will start another thread for the speculation and the often untintentional cruelty of that sometimes necessary process.

Can we rename this thread something like Condolences/support for Mt Kelly R44?

To my fellow aviator and her passengers, Rest In Peace.
I offer condolences to your families and to your friends.
:(

Lynx206
22nd Feb 2006, 07:12
Can we rename this thread something like Condolences/support for Mt Kelly R44?

I tried but it seems that once the heading is in...it's there to stay.

Any help from the moderators?

:(

nickshew
22nd Feb 2006, 09:03
vbxxx :{

Nx

BigMike
22nd Feb 2006, 09:32
From AAP:

"Wednesday February 22, 08:12 PM
Fatal crash pilot had a passion to fly

A rookie helicopter pilot who died with her three passengers in a crash in outback Queensland was a conscientious student with a passion for flying, her former instructor says.

Vita Stott, 28, from Scotland, and three male passengers died when the four-seater Robinson R44 helicopter crashed into a hill during an aerial surveying assignment near Mount Gordon, around 150km north of Mount Isa in the state's north-west, on Tuesday.

Ms Stott, a qualified pilot with North Australian Helicopters Pty Ltd, had been with the Northern Territory-based company for several months.
It was her first job since graduating from a year-long training course at the Sunshine Coast-based helicopter flying school, Becker Helicopters.
Managing director Jan Becker said the "vivacious" Ms Stott graduated last May before taking up the job in Mount Isa.
"It's just a tragedy. She was one in a million," Ms Becker said.
"She was a very, very conscientious pilot, really studied hard, was always well prepared.
"Her passion was to fly."
One of the male passengers was believed to be a 50-year-old Mount Isa-based surveyor.
The other two, aged 35 and 38, were from Brisbane. One was an employee of mining company CopperCo Limited.
The aircraft's wreckage was spotted by a search and rescue helicopter about 11.30am (AEST) Wednesday.
Ms Stott left Mount Isa airport about 6.30am Tuesday.
She made a refuelling stop at Mount Gordon, where she picked up the passengers to carry out a geological survey of the Mount Gordon and Mount Kelly areas.
The group was due to land at Mount Kelly at 4.15pm before returning to Mount Isa at 7.30pm.
The aircraft never arrived at Mount Kelly, but there were reports a helicopter was heard in the area about 4.15pm and around 5.15pm Tuesday.
Tracey Jiggins, spokeswoman for the national search and rescue organisation AusSAR, said it was unknown how or why the helicopter crashed.
Rugged, rocky terrain had made it difficult for rescue crews to reach the site.
"(It's) very inhospitable terrain and, in fact, very difficult to land any other helicopters in the area," she said.
"They've had to land a fair way away from the actual accident site.
"It would have taken them quite a bit of time to get in on foot from another location."
A spokesman for CopperCo, which lost an employee in the "tragic incident", said the crash occurred during a routine aerial survey assignment.
"This is a deeply distressing situation for all concerned and the company's thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones of those involved," he said.
The missing helicopter was fitted with a crash-activated beacon, a hand-held beacon and a portable satellite telephone.
However, AusSAR said no emergency beacons had been detected.
Officers from the The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) and the Disaster Victim Identification Squad are expected to arrive at the scene early Thursday.
"They will retrieve and identify the bodies, as well as begin the investigations into the cause of the crash," a police spokeswoman said.
State MP for Mount Isa and Queensland parliamentary Speaker Tony McGrady said the tragedy was expected to hit the mining town hard.
"The community are wanting information and the chances are the people involved would be known to a number of people," he told Channel Ten news.
North Australian Helicopters operates from three bases in the NT and one in Mount Isa, where helicopters are used daily by miners, farmers and tourists.
The company's fleet of 22 charter aircraft have been operating out of Mount Isa since 2001, carrying out charter, tourism and mustering work."

http://news.aunz.yimg.com/xp/abc/20060222/18/1664236837.jpg

Westaussielame
23rd Feb 2006, 08:03
Our condolences to Vitas family,colleagues and the families of those onboard.It was only a few months ago that I first met Vita through the fatal accident of my father who was one of her instructors .I hope the industry will provide as much support for Vitas family as they did for my fathers.
our thoughts are with all concerned.
Brendon and Kent

strickers
23rd Feb 2006, 22:38
I hope that Vita's family can read the messages here on this board and know that many of us send our condolences to her family. Although I didn't know her well she came across as a intelligent and very friendly person with a high concern for others and I know she will be missed.

Bec