PDA

View Full Version : Best way of destroying old CDR/RW disks?

NG708
21st Feb 2006, 16:38
Hi

I have a load of old write-only CD's which I used to use to back up Word, Excel and other files from my PC.

Now have a more sophisticated system with two separate harddrives so these are all redundant.

However I don't just want to dump them in the bin obviously! There are quite a few of them.

Does anyone know of a fast and simple way to destroy these or make them unusable. I have seen a shredder which does this but it costs over £100!!

Failing that, I'll use a hammer!

Cheers folks!!

Conan the Librarian
21st Feb 2006, 16:53
If you go for the satisfying way with the hammer, then just watch your eyes. Some of those things shatter quite badly.

Conan

Farmer 1
21st Feb 2006, 16:55
... and they shatter quite spectacularly. Might be an idea to put them in a polythene bag first, or you'll be picking up bits for ever and a day.

hobie
21st Feb 2006, 18:05
Do they burn I wonder? .... :confused:

I'll go and try one ....

2 pips ....... :p

yep ..... they burn ok ....

not sure if it's the environmental way to go but no one is going to read them after poping them on fire .....

21st Feb 2006, 18:21
Put them in your microwave oven, and watch those sparks fly!!

It melts the aluminium disc in fractions of a second.

NG708
21st Feb 2006, 18:54
Thumping away with a hammer on a bag-load is very satisfying, although my neighbours must wonder what I'm doing!

Is there anyway to put these back into a drive and zap them somehow to make them unreadable?

Oh, Tony wants to start burning all our rubbish but I think I'm in a smoke free zone;)

hobie
21st Feb 2006, 19:42
Oh, Tony wants to start burning all our rubbish but I think I'm in a smoke free zone;)

Guy fawkes night ;) ..... now don't forget ..... Nov 5th ....

On the night of November 5th, throughout Britain, we commemorate the capture of Guy Fawkes with bonfires and fireworks, and by burning an effigy of Guy (and all our old backup discs) :p

BOFH
21st Feb 2006, 20:15
Post them to yourself with Parcelforce. They will never be seen again :)

419's suggestion of a microwave works wonders too.

Acetone will make a real mess of them.

BOFH

21st Feb 2006, 20:21
Post them to yourself with Parcelforce. They will never be seen again

Don't count on it. They'll probably be on eBay the following week.

BOFH
21st Feb 2006, 20:32
The modality is ebay.ru , shurely?

BOFH

(who knows that his discs being sent overseas are being snooped)

PPRuNe Pop
21st Feb 2006, 21:21
I tried this and it works. But it is very much a matter of taste.

You can microwave them one at a time for just 15 seconds and they will craze all over. Then you can use them as coasters.

But do not use a hammer on them. You will get minute splinters going all over the place. Very dangerous.

Alternatively you can destroy all your data on them by scoring them with a Stanley knife and single line or a cross will do, then you can safely bin 'em.

TheOddOne
21st Feb 2006, 21:29
I found a huge stack of 100Mb Zip disks in the back of a cupboard recently. The reader for them went ages ago, so I went down the plastic bag and a big hammer route. They were tougher than I expected and despite the bag I still wound up with bits all over the garage. Still, I feel fairly sure that no-one will be able to recover the data from them. No doubt an archeologist in 1,000 years time will excavate the landfill they're currently residing in and have a great time piecing them all together again - if they can find a machine to play them on!

Cheers,
TheOddOne

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Feb 2006, 00:42
You buy one of these. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRESSIT-CD-Destroyer-Kit-Only-5-99_W0QQitemZ4125299307QQcategoryZ3754QQcmdZViewItem)

G

hobie
22nd Feb 2006, 07:20
I wonder if a few seconds of a 'Gas Blow Torch' would do the trick? ....:confused:
(safety glasses on of course and perhaps apply the flame to the back of the disc to simply distort it)

I must try that but not now ... too cold outside .... :p

hobie
22nd Feb 2006, 08:15
here we go ..... just a few seconds with a gas torch (Goggles on) ..... total distortion and crazy paving effect on recording surface .... :eek:

No one is going to read this disc again .... :p

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=oa3hjn

Avtrician
22nd Feb 2006, 08:50
Just score the lable side. this destroys the metalic recording medium, making them unuseable( well for the most part any way). Anything that destroys the metal is good.