PDA

View Full Version : BP closing down another bowser.

the wizard of auz
21st Feb 2006, 14:56
To all the interested parties that require AVGAS to keep their reserves intact while traveling through the north eastern goldfields area, bring a jerry can.
BP have decided to close the YLEO bowser down and have decided to service a non existant JET A1 market (well non existant other than one certiain RPT operator :hmm: ).
They have just made it harder to remain competative and legal if you own a piston powered craft and service any of the remote regions in the north eastern goldfields.
If your coming from the north or east, you now need to plan to Kalgoorlie for fuel. none available at Laverton, Leinster or as of the 20 of next month, Leonora. closest fuel will be Kal or meekatharra.
Good onya BP.Not a million dollars here so shut it down. it carried itself and cost very little to maintain, but wasn't a major earner, so regardless of who it effects and the services that rely on it, shut it down. :hmm: :hmm:
Good of you to notify people as well.............Oh, hang on. you haven't yet. :mad: :mad:
BP, they care..................... but only if they can make a few million from ya. :mad: :mad:

Pass-A-Frozo
22nd Feb 2006, 08:11
Was it a self serve bowser?

How was the fuel delivered to the bowser? (Just thinking what was the cost in getting the fuel there).

SkySista
22nd Feb 2006, 08:48
You mean that card operated thingy??

As for putting in the Jet-A1, had heard that would be happening... but no-one I spoke to had any idea they'd be tossing the bowser out as well...

Given as you say that there is none avl at Leinster or Laverton either, you'd think they'd keep it there as a 'public service' in the event of an emergency/unscheduled stop...

Just out of curiosity, what do the RFDS use? I know there's a loader in the shed up at yleo... do they ever stop in for fuel? Or do they have their own 'stash' somewhere??

the wizard of auz
22nd Feb 2006, 12:06
It is a card bowser, and the transpoprt cost is probably the largest cost associated with the bowser.
If the RFDS require fuel, they go to either Lienster, Laverton or Kalgoorlie. Generally they have enough on board to do the job though, as do most other Jet A1 powered aircraft.
BP wouldn't know the meaning of public service, after the discussion I had with the people responsible for this diservice to the community.

OzExpat
22nd Feb 2006, 12:21
Sounds a lot like the shafting that BP and Mobil gave PNG a few years ago.

Pinky the pilot
22nd Feb 2006, 20:06
..after the discussion I had with the people responsible for this disservice to the community
Care to elaborate (carefully, of course) on that Wiz?
It seems that the 'bottom line' is just that these days.:mad:

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

the wizard of auz
22nd Feb 2006, 22:03
I rang them to confirm that they were in fact going to close the AVGAS site down and to see if anything could be done to retain it.
They were quite unhelpful,and really couldn't care less. the bowser wasn't losing money as I understand it, but wasn't making enough. Also they wanted to change it to a JETA1 bowser. that market doesn't exist here with the exception of the RPT operater that comes in here, and certainly wouldn't warrant the change on literage.
How was that pinky? careful enough? :}

tinpis
23rd Feb 2006, 01:22
Time to trade the old razorblade in onna nice old Kingair 90 wiz.

Pass-A-Frozo
23rd Feb 2006, 04:08
How much did they charge for the AVGAS there? Where did they truck the stuff in from?

I guess you said they are keeping there bowser and storage, just converting it to AVTUR?

Towering Q
23rd Feb 2006, 04:17
That should make Kalgoorlie-Wiluna-Kalgoorlie interesting when there's a bit of 'weather' around.:uhoh:

Couldn't you keep a supply of drums in that shed of yours Wiz?

sillograph
23rd Feb 2006, 04:43
What no carnet bowser fuel :eek:

No worries i'll just divert by say 100 nm or so I'm sure the pax won't mind.

It'll be interesting to see if BP are going to stock at least AVGAS drums at LEO. From memory I recall seeing JET A1 drums always sitting inside the fuel enclosure.

Then again what's the point at say $380 for 1 drum ( just a guess ), that'll be $1.90 per litre. That's gotta hurt.

Maybe some one can get the current going rate that the YMOG shire is flogging drums for, the price will no doubt be around the same figure as that.

Just out of interest what is say a drum of JET A1 cost these days?

victor two
23rd Feb 2006, 05:26
Wiz,

Why don't you take over the operation of the bowser? Buy it off BP, truck in the fuel and run it as a sideline business. Write off the transport costs on tax, claim depreciation on the pump itself, sell fuel to yourself at a loss and claim the loss on tax, dodge up some invoices for overhauls that you never paid for, sounds like a good opening for an astute businessman........... and you will be the toast of the town for providing infrastructure. They may make a huge statue of you out of old avgas barrels and erect it in the main street and all gather under it on ANZAC day and play two-up.

SkySista
23rd Feb 2006, 06:45
Correct me if I'm wrong... but the types that the 'certain operator' will be running into YLEO... didn't think you could fuel them on a bowser that small.... you'd need to really stretch the hose or park close by... :E

Unless of course they mean they're putting in a 'new' bigger, bowser? And I suppose it's another 'self-serve' arrangement...? Hope they add a stepladder for the crews then.... ;)

PS - I reckon a Wiz of Auz bowser is a great idea... just think, you'd have the fuel monopoly in town.... people would have to bribe you to keep the price down.... :E... just kidding... if enough people want it, you've got a nice little earner there... as you say, it wasn't losing money.... sooo......

Ah these little towns... always so interesting... remember rocking up in Leo the first time, seeing one servo across the road from another in this dead quiet main drag, and thinking 'What the?'.... gotta love those competition laws!!! :ok:

OzExpat
23rd Feb 2006, 06:49
A statue of Wiz sounds like a great idea V2... It might even win some sort of environmental award because of the benefit to birds. Pidgeons are always looking for new statues! :}

Pinky the pilot
23rd Feb 2006, 08:23
Thanks for that Wiz:ok:

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face

the wizard of auz
23rd Feb 2006, 10:19
Hey, Who can afford fuel in drums at $454 +freight. doubles the already expensive fuel price.
there are regulations against storing bulk fuel in hangers.
Its not just me it effects, there are quite a few perth and Jandakot operators effected by it, as well as most people heading to Perth from the east.
Flow on effect is the rest of the community that used to earn from itinerent aircraft, rate payers who now have to further subsidise the airport due to the loss of landing fee's, the local pastorolists who got their fuel supply for mustering from here, the guys that used to work for the pastoralists and so on.
Hey V2, mate you wanna be my accountant? I would love to take it all on and operate it, but alas, I'm just a busted assed mustering pilot living from one cheque to the next.
I do like the drum statue idea though. :} :ok:

Pass-A-Frozo
23rd Feb 2006, 11:39
That was my idea :) Buy the bowser and run it. Just depends on the costs involved and whether avgas could be bought, trucked and sold at a reasonable price by a small independent operator.

SkySista
23rd Feb 2006, 12:03
What about a co-op of locals to get in a group and do it? Would that be doable???

Must say I think this totally sucks!!!

the wizard of auz
23rd Feb 2006, 12:03
Currently looking into it.
although, there are pollies involved now. could get better or worse real soon.

Pass-A-Frozo
23rd Feb 2006, 12:44
Get your local member of parliament involved. They can usually say things like "Well, if AirBP doesn't want to have any community involvement we may have to make our government aircraft buy fuel from someone else" . Suddenly a bowser that is only returning 5% on investment starts to look pretty good if taking it away will cost them a heap of business.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to buy something like a bowser and it's associated tank from someone like AirBP? Got any quotes Wiz? I've often thought of setting up a little business servicing remote fields.

tinpis
23rd Feb 2006, 19:12
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Is there an Aboriginal community nearby that will be severely disadvantaged by this move ?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

victor two
23rd Feb 2006, 22:48
Tinny,

With their highly adapted sniffers, they will be able to smell their way to the next bowser, even if it is in the next state.............

Towering Q
24th Feb 2006, 11:05
Hey Wiz, just sighted your handsome mug on the ABC news. Great to see this issue getting some coverage. Excellent footage of the beast scooting along the edge of the lake. Was that taken at Raeside?

Is one of the pollies involved Mr Bowler? He is a mover and shaker and has done many good things for this region.:ok:

the wizard of auz
24th Feb 2006, 11:49
Made the GWN news two days running now and ABC radio twice this morning.
Won't make much difference to BP, but at least people are hearing about it now and not being surprised when the bowser turns up with a black sticker shortly.
Footage was at work out at glenorn, part of the raeside system.
got that Grills fellow poking about it at the moment, going to have a chat with Mr. Bowler tomorrow.

Pass-A-Frozo
24th Feb 2006, 18:01
so are they selling the actual bowser?

I'm not joking. I'm serious about looking into operating a bowser there. Just need to cost it.

the wizard of auz
24th Feb 2006, 22:13
they intend to use it for jetA1. other wise I would be looking at it as well. maybe when it proves a bad decision they might sell it. then I'll look into it as I want that statue errected.

Pass-A-Frozo
25th Feb 2006, 04:44
You should install your own bowser :)

SkySista
25th Feb 2006, 05:03
Then again what's the point at say $380 for 1 drum ( just a guess ), that'll be $1.90 per litre. That's gotta hurt.

Maybe some one can get the current going rate that the YMOG shire is flogging drums for, the price will no doubt be around the same figure as that.

Just out of interest what is say a drum of JET A1 cost these days?

Sillo, I can't give you the figures I have for certain reasons, however I'm sure a phone call or email to the appropriate person should tell you if/how much they'll flog it for...

as for JetA1, I can tell you $380 is not high enough.... ;)

(as a guess, I mean...)

tinpis
25th Feb 2006, 21:29
Victor Two not what I was hinting at.
AVGAS has an aromatic in it that makes it unsuitable for sniffing

On the other hand if the bowser was on a sacred site...........:hmm:

the wizard of auz
25th Feb 2006, 23:42
they all getting the government subsadised OPAL fuel for the communities now.
Hate to have a legitimate use for avgas......... like to put it in aircraft and run a business on it...... wonder if I could get a government subsidy for that?:hmm:

R405
26th Feb 2006, 02:50
We flew into Lightning Ridge a while back and the bowser was missing (still listed in ERSA though)
Got to the motel and found it on the back of a truck!!
http://rotorheads.com.au/sweers04/day1/bowser_small.jpg

Ultralights
26th Feb 2006, 07:17
well did you put the bowser back??

bushy
26th Feb 2006, 07:45
It's outside the J curve, so it's not important is it?? Got to get rid of all those pesky avgas burners anyway. If they are allowed to continue they will keep competing, providing essential services to sparsely populated areas. Then the city slickers will not be able to sell all those kero burners, that they know we should be using. And customs and the military will have to watch the coastline for smugglers and skulduggery. They might even have to leave the capital cities, and live "up North"l.

No. Cannot have that.

People of the outback should be made to wait till next Wednesday to fly, and pay high prices to fly in a kero burner, after driving a long way to get to the nearest airstrip that has a service..
Next thing people in the bush will complain about having to use 1930,s style HF radio to communicate with.

No. The J curve is the only area that matters.

This is a third world country, where the underarm bowlers live.

tinpis
26th Feb 2006, 19:00
Yes indeedy ...there was no problems funding Opal for what??? To 70 ? , 80 ? , 200 ? morons walking around with a coke tin full of petrol hung around their worthless necks?
Another $10 million or so down the gurgler (initial outlay)
And in the next few months see what you will be able to get for a litre of NON Opal fuel in these communities.

Jerrym
3rd Mar 2006, 11:02
Just to give everyone an idea as to how stupid this is, I know some people fairly close to the main 'push' to keep the bowser. They have informed me that BP pumped about 80,000 litres of Avgas at YLEO last year. The JET A1 bowser was shut down at YLEO about 18 months ago because it pumped, wait for it, 600 litres in the previous 12 months.

The main push is to replace the AVGAS bowser with a JET A1 bowser. The push has been through the council by a Western Australia operator for JET A1 to be supplied at YLEO, and there has even been speculation that Money has changed hands under the table. Now this is only speculation, and I can neither prove, or disprove that this is true. I for one, hope it is not the case, as it means that some fairly underhanded tactics have been used to stop Piston operators from being competition in the Northern Goldfields. I hope no one would stoop this low, and I hope it is purely a bad decision on AirBP's part.

prussian blue
4th Mar 2006, 04:54
How much of that 80000 was for the Constellation?

Towering Q
8th Mar 2006, 04:43
Jerrym...interesting theory. I too hope the kero burners of Perth wouldn't resort to this type of behaviour.:suspect:

SkySista
8th Mar 2006, 05:18
Jerry..! I really hope that's not true...! I happen to know a few people who work for the company I suspect you are thinking of... I would be very disappointed if this were the case... is this the opinion of only one or two, or does this 'theory' represent the opinion of many locals?? I can tell you, they would not be very happy either - everyone starts somewhere and as you say, GA cannot just be forgotten and pushed aside in these rural places...

PAF, so BP are definitely getting rid of the bowser? (i.e. buying it is not an option??) Any way you could give them a $ value on the amount they'd get from all you locals using the old setup if it were to remain...? Maybe if you could convince them it's worth their while they might reconsider... sadly a demonstration of what usually goes on in small town vs big company...

the wizard of auz
8th Mar 2006, 09:47
its not just the locals that use the bowser. any one from JT or PH using a piston and wishig to keep their IFR reserves intact need to use this place if they are going north or east (and back).
There are quiet a few passer bys that use it as well.
I don't know if $$$ would have changed hands under the table but I'm pretty sure there would be some promises of large volume of use from certain people.
It is true that the JETA1 truck was removed due to lack of use. (It had a flat battery last time they tried to start it and it used more fuel during the odd start up and run than it did selling fuel).
Can't see why they would want JETA1 here when it doesn't move, and there is ample in Lienster and Laverton, yet no AVGAS in the north eastern goldfields at all. :hmm: :hmm:
I would be happy to purchase the whole unit if there was a realistic figure on it, but I will bet a dollar against a dog biscuit that they will spend more removing it in the estimated 18 mnths it will remain as a JETA1 bowser, than sell it to any one that might be interested in selling fuel thats not theirs.
The whole show stinks. :* :*

Jerrym
8th Mar 2006, 10:57
Sky, and TQ, I too hope that this is not the case. As I stated before, I don't know what is true, or just speculation, but I know a lot of the facts from a very reliable source, and things aren't real peachy. As Wiz stated, this decision is going to effect every piston operator is Perth, as well as anyone who flies to the Northern Goldfields. This is not to mention Private Pilots, and Farmers who operate aircraft in that area. It is a poor decision being made by many people, and it appears they don't all work for AirBP. What is this industry coming to?

SkySista
9th Mar 2006, 05:31
Wiz, of course... didn't mean to imply it was only locals using... I suspect more than anything this is some silly political stunt by someone who a) doesn't know any better or b)has some ulterior motive (whether that be $$ or something else)....

As for availability elsewhere... correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't LST owned/run by a certain mining company? Perhaps somebody out there knows something we don't... eg they may start refusing service to any but those flying in stuff they need/want... perhaps this is the reason behind the push for having it avl elsewhere? I have no idea when it comes to this stuff, but if that were a possibility then I could see why certain operators and individuals would want to ensure they have availability when they need it.

Still, as said, this whole scenario stinks, it smacks of the little guys getting walked on. I guess we'll have to wait for some poor bugger to plug it in from a fuel emergency during sh!t wx for anyone to take notice...! :suspect:

Pass-A-Frozo
12th Mar 2006, 08:56
Source: The Sunday Times (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18432182-1245,00.html)

Anger over aviation fuel cut
March 12, 2006
WA's aviation industry has been dealt a blow with Air BP withdrawing fuel for piston-powered aircraft from its Leonora site.

The move, effective from March 24, has angered many in the industry, but Air BP says selling Avgas at Leonora is "no longer economically viable".
The company said that instead of removing the site it would switch to providing JetA1 fuel for a trial period of 18 months.

Skippers Aviation, which flies WA inland routes, runs on jet fuel.

Shire of Leonora chief executive Jim Epis said the move was a blow for the town, charter companies and passengers.

He said small planes were often essential in the Outback and the move would hurt mine charter flights and aerial mustering.

Mr Epis said the shire might be forced into the costly exercise of providing Avgas in drums.
"When these small operators come to Leonora they might stay a night and leave accommodation costs, a few beers, meals and things like that – every small bit in a town like Leonora helps," he said.

Mr Epis said that in the past three years the shire had spent more than $500,000 upgrading airport facilities.

"We have to encourage aircraft to use the strip because we've got to generate a few dollars from somewhere to pay for that capital expense," he said.

Perth-based charter operator Paul Lyons, who visits Leonora once a week, said BP's decision was a disgrace.

"It just closes the whole of the Goldfields to all piston-engine aircraft," he said.

"They have a duty of responsibility to the people of the Outback.

"There are about 15 station owners around Leonora who now have to get drum fuel."

Mr Lyons said the economic argument was hard to believe.

"It's not as if there's a massive amount of maintenance for a bowser," he said.

Air BP has told operators that in case of emergency, Avgas will be available in drums through Leonora Shire.

"If you're going to be doing it in case of emergency, you may as well be doing it for everybody," Mr Epis said.

SkySista
12th Mar 2006, 10:39
Does anyone have a figure on how much it costs to provide Avgas in drums vs installing a (shire-owned) bowser? If the little guys can't do it, maybe the Shire can...?

On the other hand, if that rumour about someone paying off someone else is true, that shire dude is doing a good job of sounding pissed off :E

the wizard of auz
12th Mar 2006, 13:27
The cost of a drum of avgas is $454.00 plus frieght.
I can assure you that the dude in the shire is very pissed off. it was him and his local government that lobbied to have the bowser here in the first place some eight or nine years ago.
We locals, as rate payers are a bit peeved as well. we now have to subsidise the airport to the value of the landing fees that we will be missing out on as well. there was a large amount of $$$$ spent upgrading the lighting and sealing the strip to make it an attractive place to stop for fuel and accomadation.
Had a company rep approach me the other day asking when it was all going to happen. He said they would carry out their work from Kalgoorlie if it was soon. An inconvinience for him, extra expense for his clients and Leonora misses out on the landing fees, meals and accomadation.
Thats just one case.

Charlie Foxtrot India
12th Mar 2006, 14:20
When I got the letter from Air BP I rang my rep to express my concern. She said, logically enough to her, that I hadn't bought fuel there for months so why was I bothered? She didn't get that I wasn't just interested in my own, somewhat limited, Leonora refuelling requirements but those of many other of her loyal customers, and some things we had in the pipeline that would have involved refuelling at YLEO, and needing it as an alternate. Guess we'll just have to nip across to Warburton now.:ugh:

Is this too obvious, but could another oil company be approached to set up a bowser/take over the existing one? Not sure how this sort of thing works so could be a silly question. Clearly Air BP are not going to budge. Perhaps we could boycott thier product where we have a choice, though seeing as BP supply avgas to all the others, I don't suppose that would make any difference.....

I wonder, how long do we have to wait before the "emergency" fuel drums are delivered? And presumably have to pay for the whole drum even though we may only need some of it? :bored:

Keep up the good work Wiz, many of us are right behind you on this.

sillograph
12th Mar 2006, 23:46
I noticed that Mobil has pulled out of Perth Airport.

Maybe LEO is just the start.

You guy's may have more luck placing some fuel at a station owners strip near leonora for a small fee (and no landing fee) and just bypassing Leonora all together ?

If you take a look at the cost of landing at Leonora you'll find it's not the cheapest place to put your wheels on the ground, after dark it's double the cost.

Pass-A-Frozo
12th Mar 2006, 23:58
The council should have an offer. "Spend over $300 in Leanora and you get 10c a liter off your AvGas" :)

SkySista
13th Mar 2006, 02:39
Frozo, t'aint no good when there's no Avgas to get a discount on!! :p

Unless of course you mean to make drum fuel viable.

And Wiz, I wasn't serious about the shire guy, I am sure he really is mad about the whole thing, especially since as you say he wanted it there in the first place.

Maybe playing the old 'BP are so evil, save us Mobil' PR card could do the trick...? :E

sillograph
13th Mar 2006, 12:08
speaking of discount's.

what sort of discount's are the fuel guy's giving these day's.

Year ago it was easy to get at least say 4 cents of the price for using only one company.

Hard to do, if there is only one operating.

the wizard of auz
13th Mar 2006, 13:09
Seems if I am to stay in business, I have to take on the roll of local refueler now. It does have its benefits I guess. I will now become the main source of information on anything aviation in the goldfields and I can charge horrific call out fees when ever I feel like it, and double for the competition down the road. :} :}
I am currently sourcing the equipment to put in a small (10,000Ltr) tank and pump. so with luck, AVGAS will still be available in YLEO shortly after the big company pulls out. The emergency Drums will be extremely expensive and hard to get after hours, and I would guess it would be a whole drum and nothing less type of arrangment.

Sillograph, mate it might be a little expensive, but certainly better than a lot of others. price is the same day or night as far as I know, and the facilities available are quite good compared to most other strips out in the bush. I think the price is quite reasonable considering the amount of money that has been spent on it lately. If you feel its a little expensive, use the whole strip so you get value for money. :ok:

RV6
13th Mar 2006, 14:41
Good on yer Wiz. I'll make a point of dropping in for fuel as soon as my RV's area restriction is lifted!!

OpsNormal
13th Mar 2006, 22:47
Onya Wiz.... ya big spendin' entrepreneur you... Good on yer mate.:}

SkySista
14th Mar 2006, 01:48
Onya Wiz :ok:

Mind, it can't be your run of the mill 'boring' bowser... needs a fancy shmancy paint scheme... perhaps you could get someone to sponsor it?? i.e. a billboard or logos on it..... help defray the cost? :} Or run a 'name the bowser' contest for all the folk who'd use it... so, you know, it'd have an appropriate moniker and all that.... :E

the wizard of auz
14th Mar 2006, 01:58
how about " The wiz dispenser" or "wiz in your wings here" :}

SkySista
14th Mar 2006, 02:30
The Wiz-e-Mart...... :} :E

compressor stall
14th Mar 2006, 02:38
Can you pinch the Air BP girls n CNS? :E

Charlie Foxtrot India
14th Mar 2006, 02:45
Wizgas:) :)

OzExpat
14th Mar 2006, 07:06
Ahh yes, I can see the logo now...

"Come to Leonora for a quick wiz" :}

Pseudonymn
14th Mar 2006, 07:38
Hey Wiz, Maybe you could work a WedgeTail into your logo somehow, then when you arrive to do the refueling, have the little bugga on ya shoulder! :E

sillograph
14th Mar 2006, 07:48
Good onya Wiz.

Maybe even a tank on the back of a trailer with pump is all you need.

What's the go with the insurance etc, is that going to be drama ?

Maybe you can get people to sign off before refuelling like at some other place's.

Disco Stu
14th Mar 2006, 08:32
I reckon the only name for the bowser would have to be

McWiz

and I'll have fries with that;)

Disco Stu:ok:

Pass-A-Frozo
14th Mar 2006, 10:18
How about painting "AIRBP ARE A PACK OF :mad: S" on it :E

the wizard of auz
14th Mar 2006, 14:18
Dont be to surprised to see something along those lines painted on a bowser close by. :}
I just happen to have a pet wedge tailed eagle too. although I'm a tad shy of sitting him on me shoulder.
I don't know about the liability issues as yet. I'm still doing the research on it all. I had three aircraft drop in for fuel today. one of the a regular every month, and they all voiced absolute disgust at the decision made by BP.
As a matter of fact, I haven't heard any support for the move at all from any one other than the company reps.

Towering Q
14th Mar 2006, 23:54
Great idea if you can make it work Wiz. There's no reason why LEO can't have a similar setup to Caiguna or Border Village.

Don't be suprised if you get a generous cash offer to shelve your plans from an operator down in the 'big smoke'.:mad:

SkySista
15th Mar 2006, 02:57
Q, I don't see why 'operators' wouldn't want to see the Avgas there too... as long as they still get the JetA1 I'm guessing it'll be quiet.

Wiz, you could always offer to conduct the fuelling for them too.... for a price... :E Because once the JetA1 goes in, who's going to do the actual fuelling, anyway? The crews? Don't think so...

Disco and PAF, I like your style!! :ok:

Towering Q
15th Mar 2006, 05:58
SkySista...because if you don't have Avgas at LEO then all those pesky Barons, Navajos etc etc will find it difficult to fly their north east goldfields punters in from Perth.

Those punters will then be forced to use a kero burner and the 'operators' corner the market. Just a theory.:suspect:

SkySista
15th Mar 2006, 06:01
Good point. Hadn't thought about it that way. Although, that would be a tad too obvious... (hah, not like it isn't really now anyway....)

I can think of one thing 'BP' might stand for..... anyone wanna buy a waypoint near LEO and call it 'BPSUX'???? :E

the wizard of auz
15th Mar 2006, 09:28
Thats a great idea. I'll make the enquiry. :}

SkySista
15th Mar 2006, 11:49
Wiz, you could make it a series....

NOGAS
FORMY
ARCFT
BPSUX

:E

Ah, helping the kiddies AND getting the boot in.... what a kicker!!! :}
(They still donate the 100 bucks to Angelflight, don't they?)

the wizard of auz
15th Mar 2006, 11:56
I would be quite happy using those reporting points when doing my next angelflight mission. :}

SkySista
15th Mar 2006, 12:10
Onya Wiz!! :ok:

(I can't recall... was it BP you had trouble with getting gas from on your Angel flight that time? If so... maybe there's a conspiracy here... :E)

I was thinking 'PLANE' for the third, but I thought that'd probably have been used already.... :p

Ah, I can hear it now: "WizOfOz, reporting BP Sucks!" :} ;)

Charlie Foxtrot India
15th Mar 2006, 13:51
I think Angel Flight have an arrangment with Mobil - none of that around these parts. One of our aircraft did one a few months back, Air BP the only fuel avaialble, so as I recall the pilot paid for all the fuel.

the wizard of auz
16th Mar 2006, 05:56
Good news. All is not lost as yet. I have had some positive feedback from quite a few of the people I have approached for assistance in this matter and they all have a bit of weight to throw behind this issue. Thanks go out to the several pollies I have had support from as well as the couple of rural and regional advancement and development commities and the three heavy weights in the fuel industry that are working on our behalf, as well as the local shire.
I hope to have good news in the very near future. so far its all very positive and GA will not lose this service. :ok: :ok:

Charlie Foxtrot India
16th Mar 2006, 06:48
Today's new ERSA says Avgas bowser available. :hmm:

the wizard of auz
16th Mar 2006, 08:37
would you expect anything else from airnoservice?. Hopefully it may still be the case. ;)

tinpis
17th Mar 2006, 04:28
I have had some positive feedback from quite a few of the people I have approached for assistance in this matter and they all have a bit of weight to throw behind this issue.

Wizza why doncha see BIG KIM?
Hes got a lot of weight to throw behind an issue ..any issue ...please give him an issue !

the wizard of auz
17th Mar 2006, 05:40
After his last little effort. He's to busy wandering about saying "sorry its all my fault" to be doing much for anyone.
It will all be the current governments fault anyway. thats how he works.

DX Wombat
20th Mar 2006, 08:26
I was at YPJT this morning and noticed that fuel is supplied by both BP and Shell. I don't know if they both supply Avgas or not but if they do why doesn't everyone boycott BP in protest? If every GA aircraft using YPJT did that and made BP aware of what they were doing and why, it might make them sit up and think. There is a LOT of traffic in and out of YPJT and I wouldn't have thought BP could afford to lose the custom. Just my little thought for the day :E
Good luck Wiz :ok:

Charlie Foxtrot India
20th Mar 2006, 09:42
Had crossed my mind....but Shell buy their Avgas off BP, so it wouldn't make any difference in the big end of town, and probably just threaten the jobs of the Air BP refuellers, and none of this is their fault. :*

Pass-A-Frozo
20th Mar 2006, 11:16
Good news. All is not lost as yet. I have had some positive feedback from quite a few of the people I have approached for assistance in this matter and they all have a bit of weight to throw behind this issue. Thanks go out to the several pollies I have had support from as well as the couple of rural and regional advancement and development commities and the three heavy weights in the fuel industry that are working on our behalf, as well as the local shire.
I hope to have good news in the very near future. so far its all very positive and GA will not lose this service. :ok: :ok:

stuff weight.. you need an investment? $$$

DX Wombat
20th Mar 2006, 12:29
:( I hadn't realised that was the situation CFI and I certainly wouldn't want the refuellers to suffer. :sad:

Islander Jock
20th Mar 2006, 17:21
I think Angel Flight have an arrangment with Mobil - none of that around these parts. One of our aircraft did one a few months back, Air BP the only fuel avaialble, so as I recall the pilot paid for all the fuel.

Now there's an organization that can tear at the heartstrings of the average Aussie. What a clever person CFI is :ok:

I did a charter in a single a few years back from Meeka to Forrest. Leonora was our only option without a diversion to Kalgoorlie to make the journey.

SkySista
21st Mar 2006, 02:55
Hmmm..... a headline like

'Cancer kids miss Angel flights as BP stops outback service"

might do the trick :E

Disco Stu
22nd Mar 2006, 12:54
I suppose you could buy your fuel from BP and pay with a Shell carnet/swipe card.

Disco Stu:\

Jerrym
24th Mar 2006, 09:43
Just for interest sake, I thnk Wiz of Oz might be right. Once again, I heard from my reliable source that there will be an Avgas bowser in LEO by the end of next month. Is BP doing a backflip, Shell coming to the party, or another source. Only time will tell. Rest assured, that all is not lost.

the wizard of auz
25th Mar 2006, 13:27
Still working on it. hoping that something happens very soon. had lots of phone calls asking if fuel is available and have heard of trips being cancelled because they couldn't do it without the fuel at leo. I have been away and am not sure, but the fuel was meant to be stopped as of yesterday. I'll check in the morning.

SkySista
5th Apr 2006, 10:35
What news, Wiz? :} :ok:

the wizard of auz
5th Apr 2006, 12:29
News is, No more AVGAS at YLEO. Its all JET A1 at the moment. had a swarm of phone calls from passing traffic asking if they can get fuel anywhere local.
seems they haven't sold a drop of jet fuel either.
Won't be long before the RPT crew start it though I bet. I will be making this a quite widely known thing using the promised media, count on it.
Looks like I'm going into the fuel business. Shame I have to buy it from these wankers.

tinpis
16th May 2006, 18:24
:rolleyes: What was tin saying about Opal fuel being money down the toilet?

Yes indeedy ...there was no problems funding Opal for what??? To 70 ? , 80 ? , 200 ? morons walking around with a coke tin full of petrol hung around their worthless necks?
Another $10 million or so down the gurgler (initial outlay)
And in the next few months see what you will be able to get for a litre of NON Opal fuel in these communities.

Blacks find ways to get high
Michelle Wiese Bockmann
May 17, 2006
PETROL sniffers in remote Aboriginal communities are getting high by combining Opal fuel with window cleaning liquid or steeping it in polystyrene cups until it releases vapours.

A federal parliamentary inquiry heard yesterday that addicts were also placing paint in wine cask bladders and adding aerosol fragrance spray in their search for a replacement inhalant to petrol.

The disturbing evidence came from Dennis Colson, a senior elder at the front line of treating the petrol-sniffing epidemic ravaging South Australia's Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yunkantjatjara Lands. "They are finding ways of getting around the Opal," Mr Colson told the Senate inquiry into petrol sniffing in remote Aboriginal communities.

Opal fuel, which lacks the aromatics that give sniffers their high, has been distributed across 52 Central Australian communities since it was introduced in February last year. The fuel is used in Aboriginal-controlled communities on the APY Lands, and is available from nearby roadhouses.

Mr Colson told The Australian he had carried out his own tests after learning of the new practice from petrol sniffers, confirming that after he left Opal in a cup for 30 minutes, fumes were released.

Some shops in his community of Turkey Bore, 14 hours drive north of Adelaide, had stopped selling cups and window cleaner as a result, Mr Colson said.

More than 170 of the 3000 Aborigines living on the Pitjantjatjara lands are petrol sniffers, according to the latest local health survey.

Although news of the Opal practices had reached the South Australian Government, federal senators said they were unaware Opal could be made sniffable.

"We have heard about paints and glue but not these uses," said Australian Democrats senator Andrew Bartlett.

A spokesman for BP, which produces and distributes Opal, said the company carried out tests last year after it learned sniffers had added window cleaner, sugar or bread to the fuel in an effort to get high. They did not release details, fearing it would encourage substance abuse.

"Our tests have revealed that if people are using some type of material and dip it in Opal, what they are sniffing is that material, not the fuel," the spokesman said. "They are not changing the composition of the fuel to allow it to be sniffed."

A senior South Australian public servant, Peter Kay, dismissed the claims of new methods as "nonsense" at the inquiry. It is understood those who work with brain-damaged sniffers believe they have mistaken the smell of the fumes

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19162493-601,00.html