PDA

View Full Version : Why is it now 2 hours for check-in at LHR ?

WHBM
21st Feb 2006, 11:01
BA writing on their website say that due to "new security procedures" check in at Heathrow is now 2 hours :-

BAA Heathrow has introduced new security procedures following a recent security review. These are leading to delays through central security for customers of all airlines operating from London Heathrow Airport. With the start of school half term, we are expecting the airport to be busier than normal.

BAA Heathrow assures us that it is doing all it can to minimise the effect on our customers and I can assure you that we are also doing everything we can to make sure all our customers get away on their flights as quickly as possible.

Customers booked to travel should arrive at the airport two hours before the scheduled departure time, as normal. However, we advise customers to minimise the amount of hand baggage they carry with them and allow sufficient time to clear central security searches

Meanwhile London City airport (also operating BA flights) are able to carry on with 10 minute checkin :

(c) Ten Minute Check-in
In response to a question by David Kent, Charles Buchanan said that in spite of the growth in the number of passengers the Airport still offered passenger check-in 10 minutes before departure. It was likely that most passengers aimed to check-in 30 minutes before departure but in doing so they felt secure in the knowledge that if there were travel or other delays they would still be accepted 10 minutes before the flight departed

http://www.lcacc.org/committee/jan06mins.pdf

What I want to know is this. How can London City perform all the required checks within 10 minutes that take BAA at Heathrow 2 hours ? The difference in walking time onward from security to the gate is not 1 hours 50 minutes, as we all know. What on earth is Heathrow doing that requires 2 hours ? As we all know, this is in reality 2 minutes to negotiate the security check, in exactly the same manner as the very professional check always done at London City, and 1 hour 58 minutes messing about

robin
21st Feb 2006, 11:46
Well I'm sure BAA will be pleased to let you know of the takings from the West London Retail Park, and what that has to do with check-in times

WHBM
21st Feb 2006, 12:15
Indeed. But why are BA in cahoots with them over this, when it may well drive their customers to alternatives.

Interestingly, London City has a minimal retail offering, and what there is for much of the time appears empty.

gdiphil
21st Feb 2006, 20:05
For what it is worth last September it took me one hour and thirty minutes at LHR T4 to get from the end of the BA economy checkin queue to the checkin desk for an evening BA flight to Sydney. It then took 30 minutes to get through security, walk to the gate, get on the aircraft and for the doors to be closed. I felt there were insufficient checkin staff to deal with the vast numbers of people on a Friday evening. I could not see any other difference with respect to security lines, the departure lounge or the boarding of the aircraft. I've had similar experiences with BA in Heathrow. By contrast on the return in Sydney the whole checkin process took 10 minutes, lots of staff on every occasion I've been through Sydney regardless of the airline or class I've flown.

hapzim
22nd Feb 2006, 09:12
Total agree with gdiphil , queues form to long snakes due to insufficent staff to process pax at checkin and security. If BAA realy wanted to make money from the retail outlets they should process you through security far more quickly. ie more scanners and teams of checkers. They could also push carriers / agents to keep checkin queues short by fineing them. Pax stress starts on arrival at lhr with the poor layout, signage & cramped conditions.

Pax should still arrive with plenty of time why rush and stress.

lexxity
22nd Feb 2006, 09:19
They could also push carriers / agents to keep checkin queues short by fineing them.

Oh yeah, sure. That's a great idea, all you have to do is stop pax asking 300questions and debating every point at the check in desk, "window or aisle seat?" Do feel free to make suggestions when you know more about the airline industry.

BTW when T5 opens you will find even less staff as check in is to become more automated through on line check in and self service devices.