PDA

View Full Version : Irregular heart?

Danny_manchester
21st Feb 2006, 09:20
Hi, i posted on here a while back, about the fact that i had a heart murmur which had caused no problems. However now i have an irregular heart, and am going to the hospital to see a consultant Cardiologist :uhoh:

There seems to be only 1 good thing about this ........ Il get a copy of the ECG to give to the CAA medical examiner ..... so he can tell me i have failed. :\

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Feb 2006, 09:53
Please don't despair. There are plenty of pilots and controllers with "irregular" heartbeat. My wife was diagnosed a year ago and the problem was fixed very quickly during a few hours in hospital, where 16 other people were having the same treatment on the same day. Our doc said "it's as common as muck"! SRG will obviously be a bit more fussy but I do hope all turns out well for you..

effortless
21st Feb 2006, 10:40
Depends on what is causing it, a mate has had a bit of bother over the last couple of months and has had two cardioversions. They shocked his heart back into proper rhythm.:uhoh:

Loose rivets
21st Feb 2006, 17:42
Several people lost their medicals because of arrhythmia in the 60s, and it was later found to be caused by coffee. Well, that was what was generally discussed in talks about them getting their jobs back.

When we were young, I stopped lying with my head on Mrs R's chest (in front of the telly!!) The vast periods of silence that followed a rapid burst of heartbeats, just freaked me out. Yet, without training, she could run pasts all of the other mothers at the school events, many of them having some athletic training / achievements.

At 60, she is still able to do aerobics, though the arrhythmia is not so noticeable these days.

Bengerman
22nd Feb 2006, 10:37
Danny, every case is different and yours will be looked at on its own merits.

I have twice suffered atrial fibrillation, a form of arrhythmia, and still manage to hold down a class 1, albeit with a restriction (as or with co). I still have the symptom from my last event. I have been cardioverted twice (once successfully, once not) and take asprin and a beta blocker.

I have to supply 24 hour ECG tapes to the CAA every 6 months and, so far, they have let me carry on flying.

All is not lost with irregulat ECG traces, a lot more is now know about cause and treatment than used to be and the CAA take a far more pragmatic view now than was once the case.

Good Luck!