PDA

View Full Version : lost my bookmarks .. A G A I N!!

The Voice
21st Feb 2006, 07:51
I have just fired up the gizzmo and lo and behold my Firefox v1.5 has all but disappeared!

Imagine my elation .. :{

I have the icon in the start menu and the quick launcher, and it tells me that is in the C:/drive .. but .. nada! Zip Zero Zilch SFA!!

now, it wouldn't be a catastrophe, but I have painstakingly spent the last umpteen weeks bookmarking a godzillion things for my last year at uni.

anyone at all got any idea where they may be or how the hell I can try relocating the little f*ckers??

I tried a system restore to 24 hours previous - nada

I tried re-installing - nada

got tempo excited when I found bookmarks in a folder somewhere - nada

Am I annoyed? .. yep! Pi$$ed off? .. YEP! Beaten? .. not freaking likely!!

seriously .. I would appreciate any ideas as to why (this is the 2nd time in 3 months this has happened - ran all the cleaners - nil found) this has happened again, but more importantly, if anyone has a clue where I may find them all ... :sad:

shack
21st Feb 2006, 07:59
No help I know but it has happened to me twice since I upgraded to Firefox 1.5 but never with previous versions. I now keep a separate copy of my bookmarks in case it strikes again

maxell
21st Feb 2006, 08:34
Firefox stores bookmarks in C:\Documents and Settings/username/application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/Default user
Stored as a HTML Doc
Note Application Data is a hidden file so go to tools/options in Document and Settings and change setting to view all files
Also this little program helps at times backup (http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php)

Max

hobie
21st Feb 2006, 09:12
I suspect 'Bookmarks' are the last thing peeps think of backing up but when you loose them you sure learn the lesson ... :{

Hope you get yours back but for other readers ..... back em up now !!!! and then on a regular basis ..... it's dead simple and will save you a lot of grief if they ever go to $$$ .....

superpilut
21st Feb 2006, 11:10
I had exactly the same bloody thing happening with Firefox about 3 days ago.
Honestly to god, it sux.

Hey hobi; just followed your instructions and I have 'em back!!!! Thanks man!
in that folder called "Profiles";
I found 2 subfolders; 1 called "8n6ukwbe.default" last modified 17th of Feb, and another one called "y9d6dgj3.Default User" last modified Feb 21.
So now I peeked in the 17th Feb one, and there it was.

Copied it in the other folder, since that apperently is the folder of choice of the program, and voilà!

The Voice
21st Feb 2006, 11:59
Thankyou.

After much stuffing around .. I have them back ...

interesting that I am not alone with the dumping of the data ... puts a new twist on data overload! :\

and that's a neat little back up program too! a few seconds to achieve what the other backup program did in 33 minutes!

Thanks again ...

The Voice
22nd Feb 2006, 07:58
:mad: they were there this morning .. and obviously had better things to do than be there this evening .. :bored:

I left the computer on (standby mode) but the modem was powerless and the phone line removed ..

so, does one conclude that a gremlin is at work?

Having run all the cleaners .. would a HJT post be next?

TV :sad:

maxell
22nd Feb 2006, 08:35
Have a read of this (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks) it may help. Looks like some cleaner programs can remove the bookmarks.
I use ccleaner set to run on startup and so far have never had a problem with firefox bookmarks.
Although I have had the select profile window come up from time to time after running some vid clips from the web. and shutting down firefox then trying to reopen it, This is normaly cleared by the old ctrl/alt/delete and looking for the firefox .exe thats running and closing it down. Then trying again.
Max

weirsy
27th Feb 2006, 12:21
Thank you, Thank you.
Lost my bookmarks in Firefox. Computer randomly shutting down. Believe I need to blow out the cobwebs.
Got my bookmarks back after following your instructions.
Thanks to Max