PDA

View Full Version : Windows question??

roundwego
20th Feb 2006, 21:43
On my laptop, which has xp + Outlook Express, when I rightclick on a photo file to send it to an email recipient, it asks me if I want to reduce the size for sending.

I cannot get my desktop to do the same. The only difference is that on my desktop I use Outlook 2002.

Can anyone tell me if this is because Outlook doesn't support this function or is there I way I can configure xp/outlook to do this? I have searched MS support pages with no joy.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Farmer 1
21st Feb 2006, 07:33
No idea how to answer your questions, until I get to the last bit.

If you prefer to use Outlook, open that and click on New.

Then select the relevant file, right click, Send To, email recipient. This opens the Outlook Express mail window, complete with your file as an attachment. You can then drag the file into your Outlook mail.

roundwego
21st Feb 2006, 08:27
Sorry Farmer 1 but I probably have mislead you. I have no problem sending the attachement, it is the function of being able to reduce the photo file size I am having a problem with.

On my laptop, if I right click on a photo file, one of the menu options is "send to" and if I then select "email recipient", Windows then asks me if I want to reduce the file size for emailng.

The message implies it is a Windows function rather than one of Outlook Express and I want my desktop pc to do the same.

The Windows help files describe the function but doesn't say anything about being able to switch the function on or off.

I don't want to have to continue opening the file with a photo editor and manualy reucing file sizes every time I want to email a photo from my desktop.

Call me lazy if you like.!

Farmer 1
21st Feb 2006, 08:47
The Windows help files describe the function but doesn't say anything about being able to switch the function on or off.

That's as good as you get with Help files.

Have you checked if the file is reduced anyway, without your help?

I suspect the answer might be in some Options or Setup package somewhere.

maxell
21st Feb 2006, 08:56
Found on another site
Start/Run and type REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL=20
found here (http://www.pcbanter.net/archive/index.php/t-693351Resize-Picture-to-Send-Email.html)
Max

roundwego
21st Feb 2006, 10:16
Found on another site
Start/Run and type REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL=20
found here

Maxell, you are ACE of the BASE. Great fix. Thanks very much.

Only minor point for anyone else - don't include the =20 at the end. It is part of the formatting in the source forum

maxell
21st Feb 2006, 10:24
Oops that will teach me to read what I copy and paste :oh:
Max