PDA

View Full Version : FBI Seizes Over 500 Law Enforcement Badges

AAL_Silverbird
1st Feb 2002, 08:50
<a href="http://www.newschannel5.com/news/0201/31/badges.htm" target="_blank">Click Here</a>

FBI Seizes Over 500 Law Enforcement Badges

The FBI in Nashville announced a major bust Thursday involving law enforcement badges. Some were real, some counterfeit. Agents say they're the draw for an illegal Internet business with links to Tennessee and Florida.

No arrests have been made yet, but it's certain an arrest will be made soon. Over 500 law enforcement badges from all across the country are currently at the FBI's headquarters on West End Avenue. Half were real - stolen from the manufacturer, and half were replicas.

There are badges from the FBI, Secret Service, DEA, U.S. Capitol Police -- and more. There's even a badge from the Utah state highway patrol with an Olympic seal. This type of badge hasn't even been distributed yet. There are others from as far away as Carmel, California and New York City.

The FBI hasn't made an arrest yet, but they know who their prime suspect is. The suspect knows the FBI is investigating him.

"He was selling them for profit. He was selling them for purposes including selling them to foreign nationals, so he had no idea what they were going to be used for. His intent was not to collect them. He was making a profit, a tidy profit off these badges," said Doug Riggin of the Nashville branch of the FBI.

The U.S. Attorney's office will have to decide how proceed from here. The bad news is that despite the security risks implied by possession of these badges, this is not a particularly serious charge.

According to law enforcement, a badge is the most accepted form of ID since many cops drive unmarked cars. This bust is affecting security around the Olympics and the Superbowl in New Orleans.

"I don't know whether you could get into any kind of venue just with a badge, but it would certainly get you closer. It would certainly give you credibility. And that's why we pursued it at great length," added Riggin.

The FBI says the suspect here was selling the badges over the Internet for profit. . . . .© 2002 NewsChannel 5.com

B Sousa
1st Feb 2002, 08:59
Unless He Stole the Badges or knew they were stolen, its a walk in the park. All he loses is the stolen property.. .Trust me a badge and a dollar wont get a cup of coffee in any airport today. Im sure your point is some mutt trying to board an airplane with a badge....Yeppers thats what I want to see, some idiot who cant speak English pass himself off as J Edgar. . .I think the best thing a badge in an airport does today is set off Bells and Whistles..... .Am I missing something here??