5. Exeter
6. Leeds
7. Birmingham
8. Liverpool
9. Edinburgh
10. Belfast City

southender
20th Feb 2006, 12:10
I wonder how many 'Adventure Travellers' regularly fly from London City?

Strangely, Southend does'nt feature.

Cheers

Southender

Leodis
20th Feb 2006, 13:12
Just been looking on the NCL website, and found this:
http://www.newcastleinternational.co.uk/ReadNews.aspx?news=134
Looks like these are the UK's top favourite airports:
Wanderlust Top UK Airport finalists were:
1. London City
2. Southampton
3. Newcastle
4. Bristol
5. Exeter
6. Leeds
7. Birmingham
8. Liverpool
9. Edinburgh
10. Belfast City

I wonder how different the professional opinion is from the passenger opinion?
One other thing is that big isn't always better!
I live at Leeds, work at LBA and my fovorate airport is probably Newcastle. I often complain about LBA probably because I work there, but even then I would choose to fly from LBA anyday over MAN. Manchester in my opinion has outsized itself to a point where its down right annoying from a passenger point of view and yet the airlines seem to love the place.

Leodis

jamesbrownontheroad
20th Feb 2006, 13:39
[QUOTE=Leodis]I wonder how different the professional opinion is from the passenger opinion?

One other thing is that big isn't always better!

Air fare: £100. Taxi £7. Coffee in the departure lounge £1.20. Being able to see the plane waiting on the other side of the terminal when you walk into the check-in hall, priceless.

That list doesn't do it for me. Let's hear it for NWI (that's Norwich International Airport, just in case you might confuse it for any other airfield near Norwich) :E

*j*

TheOddOne
20th Feb 2006, 14:00
UK's favourite airports:

Heathrow - favourite with 67 million people a year
Gatwick - 32 million a year
Stansted - 22 million
Manchester - 21 million
the next few, not so popular on about 8 million (ish)
Birmingham
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Luton

etc etc etc

Any other kind of 'popularity' rating is just tosh.

It's a bit like the old one about Tesco's 'no-one ever shops at Tesco's because of all the queues'. There are only queues because EVERYONE shops there!
Cheers,
TheOddOne

future_pilot17
20th Feb 2006, 14:22

Errr how about no.....:confused: how you bring 'busiest' into meaning favourite is beyond me.

LHR is the busiest UK airport but that doesn't mean people like using it or it's a generally nice place to be, it might be because it's the nearest or people have no choice and maybe because it's the main airport of the UK's capital!

What you have just said is as you put it 'just tosh':rolleyes: .

runawayedge
20th Feb 2006, 15:21
Would it be the difference between quality and quantity....or maybe a case of having to use but not enjoying the experience! There are airports that actually do make an effort to differentiate by making a difference!

In trim
20th Feb 2006, 15:32
The Odd One,

What complete rubbish!!! As per the previous post, LHR is the busiest but I hate the experience as a travelling passenger!

However, for someone living in central London the likes of Aberdeen, Norwich, or Bristol are unlikely to be of any use!!

Busiest does not necessarily equal best!

Any comparison with Supermarkets is largely irrelevant as most people in the UK have a reasonable choice of where they shop, but considerably less choice as to where they fly from!

Chilli Monster
20th Feb 2006, 16:21
What utter Co*k!

Let's analyse the article:
Newcastle International has been voted the UK’s favourite northern airport
Just how many "Northern" Airports are there on that side of the country
in a prestigious consumer survey of nearly 3,000 regular travellers.
Can't be that prestigous, never actually seen it advertised nationally. As for the sample - 3000? Hardly a representative cross section of the travelling public - a piddling little number in fact.
Based on customer satisfaction over the past year, readers of Wanderlust, the UK’s leading adventure travel magazine, voted on their travel experiences over the last year and Newcastle received a satisfaction rating of 80.48 per cent.
ONE magazine, with niche readership, relying on figures from am ever smaller group of people within that readership.

Are such awards even worth the paper they're printed on?

Leodis
20th Feb 2006, 17:11
UK's favourite airports:
Heathrow - favourite with 67 million people a year
Gatwick - 32 million a year
Stansted - 22 million
Manchester - 21 million
the next few, not so popular on about 8 million (ish)
Birmingham
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Luton
etc etc etc
It's a bit like the old one about Tesco's 'no-one ever shops at Tesco's because of all the queues'. There are only queues because EVERYONE shops there!
Cheers,
TheOddOne
All this shows is where airlines choose to base not where the punters want to fly from.

Oshkosh George
20th Feb 2006, 20:52
What utter Co*k!

Let's analyse the article:
Quote:
Newcastle International has been voted the UK’s favourite northern airport
Just how many "Northern" Airports are there on that side of the country
Unquote

The statement was UK's,not England's. There are several north of Newcastle if you are considering the "UK". They're in Scotland!

Anyway,my favourite airport would be the closest with flights to where I wanted to go! Who cares what OTHER people consider their favourite? I just wish there WERE flights from Perth/Scone to where I wanted to go!:{

TheOddOne
20th Feb 2006, 21:25
All this shows is where airlines choose to base not where the punters want to fly from.

Er... 'scuse me, but surely the airlines are only going to fly from airports that people demand to use?

I work at LGW and we're constantly under the shadow of losing the high-spending pax that we do have to LHR. 'Tis said that a/c fill up from the front at LHR, but from the back at LGW, i.e. all the 1st class pax choose LHR and the Economy types LGW. Now, personally, I HATE travelling through LHR and have managed to avoid doing so for 6 years or so, LGW is MUCH more user-friendly, but my FAVOURITE airport is Waterford, it's really easy to use and the local area is a delight to visit.

All good fun, should be on Jet Blast so everyone can be ruder to each other!

Chers,
TheOddOne

Buster the Bear
20th Feb 2006, 21:34
The words 'favourite & 'airport' should never be used together.

In the 1950' and 60's, flying was only for the elite. The likes of Courtline made flying abroad for the masses possible in the 70's.

Now with Stelios and MOL, flying is for everyone, so airports are now just glorified bus stations and no longer places not for the 'elite' to be cosseted in, but venues for a quick pint and sarnie then a cheap flight to wherever?

VHF FLYER
20th Feb 2006, 21:49
The words 'favourite & 'airport' should never be used together.
:ok: (the word 'oxymoron' springs to mind)

FlyZB
20th Feb 2006, 23:34
I agree with Buster the Bear on this one. There's far too much enphasis placed upon airport facilities and the like. These days an airport is just like a rail or bus station and the main criteria for your choice of airport surely is going to be the locality of it and the availability of cheap flights to your chosen destination. It is merely just a boarding point for you to get on your plane.

silverhawk
21st Feb 2006, 06:06
favourite airport has to be the one which allows you to lie-in as late as possible. Therefore it's a no-brainer
Charlie Carolli International
ie Blackpool::D

7006 fan
21st Feb 2006, 07:12
Here, here Buster, flying is now a real pain, used to be a joy, but now!!!
Bring back the Lockheed Electra, the Dak, 707, Britannia etc, that was flying!
:}
As to favourite Airports in UK anywhere where one can get to check-in easily, get through Security/Passport control without hundreds of others in front, a decent array of duty free offers and all 'planes within an easy walk of the departure lounge.
Think this fits any regional with less than 1.5m pax.
Whatever happened to the Hub and Spoke idea of the 97 Transport White Paper, a Regional dream that became a 'big three' charter, but did not forsee the Lo-co expansion.

Cheers

Minnie the Moocher
21st Feb 2006, 12:38
QUOTE:_ "As to favourite Airports in UK anywhere where one can get to check-in easily, get through Security/Passport control without hundreds of others in front, a decent array of duty free offers and all 'planes within an easy walk of the departure lounge."

All that rules out the "new Luton airport" then...

Atcham Tower
21st Feb 2006, 14:07
LIVERPOOL - the best airport in the entire universe! (It pays my wages ...)

SeamusCVT
21st Feb 2006, 16:44
Coventry...Just about the only airport in the UK where you are not enticed to spend all your holiday money BEFORE you board the plane to your destination...probably because facilities are so limited that there's not much to buy!!

However, in terms of security it is second to none (it has to be), you go to check in desks, turn right, walk through the metal detectors, et voila: departure "lounge". There is nowhere to go to pick up anything suspicious.