PDA

View Full Version : A320-wrong tool for the job?

Artistic Intention
20th Feb 2006, 09:27
Last week went on holiday to Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt. Being a cheapskate I hunted round for the cheapest ticket. When it arrived it had a slew of names on it including Exelair, Freedom Flights and Air Atlanta.

On the day it was an Air Malta A320-214. Outbound was fantastic, tailwind reduced scheduled 5hrs 30min to 4hrs 40min.

Inbound tailwind is now a head wind and scheduled 5hrs 45 min becomes 4hrs to Venice 45min fuelling stop and 1hr 50mins Venice to BHX. :{ Captain said approx. 8 times out of 12 he'd flown the sector the same thing had happened.:*

Does this imply they are using the wrong machine, presumably Air Malta tendered for this with this type. Is it a fixed price, i.e. who absorbs the oncosts (landing fee, additional crew hours etc-presumably headwinds/tailwinds approx. net out in fuel costs)?

Also the flying time excluding fuel stop was 5hr 50 min, only 5 min longer than scheduled, does this mean that if the aircraft is full of pax and bags (very likely as cheapo charter) then it is never going to make the scheduled time without a fuel stop. But the monkeys are holding it out as a direct flight:} , do you think I'll get anywhere if I have a pop at the ticket seller on this basis?

Cheers

Fly380
20th Feb 2006, 10:00
A 'direct' flight is not the same as a 'non stop' flight:confused:

hostiegirl
20th Feb 2006, 12:11
air malta use the a320 from brs-sharm dont think they've had that problem but i may be wrong:O

Frankfurt_Cowboy
20th Feb 2006, 12:13
"Being a cheapskate I hunted round for the cheapest ticket."

And being a cheapskate, moaning :mad: you're now complaining that you arrived back 50 minutes late. Some people. :confused:

Suvarnabhumi
20th Feb 2006, 12:21
You pay your money, your take your chances!!!

Yes this route is pushing the A320 in a charter config. A 757 is much more suited on these particular days, but uses much more fuel/costs on all the other days!! !!

It is most certainly fixed cost, so Air Malta will take the hit. At least they don't leave some bags behind and go non-stop like some other Airlines would!!

In general neither the ticket sellers nor the Airline give one hoot to the bucket and spade brigade so they wouldn't really care about any complaints as long as they have their money in the bank!

Flying time is different to scheduled block to block time. As flying time doesn't take into account taxiing time at either end, usually about an additional 30 mins total, so you were not time "scammed" by a corrupt ticket seller.

It could be a non-stop flight if the winds were favourable just like on the way down, but unlikely with the prevailing westerly winds over Europe , as the Captain attested!!!!

Hermano Lobo
20th Feb 2006, 13:06
Suvarnabhumi

Ah yes but do you know how to pronounce 'Suvarnabhumi' ?

Suvarnabhumi
20th Feb 2006, 13:11
Ha ha, Suwanapum, but my Thai isn't my strongest!!! ;)

TheOddOne
20th Feb 2006, 13:26
50 mins delay?!!!

Now if it had been 50 hours, then that would have been worth a post here!

I would say you were lucky to get carrier such as Air Malta, rather than some of the other operators! Air Malta in my view are a fine, reputable scheduled carrier, just earning a little in the Winter while the schedule is a bit quiet.

I'm coming around to the view that these sub-cheap sellers of tickets should be quality-regulated so that this sort of deal simply can't reach the marketplace.

The actual OPERATOR of the aircraft should be clearly stated on the pre-purchase promotional material. The performance of each a/c operator should then be given wide publicity as to in-flight emergencies, returns to point of origin with technical faults, dirty cabins, quality of in-flight service, much like the Ryanair publicity recently.

Honestly, most people travelling on holiday by air haven't a CLUE who they are flying with.

Oh, and bring back a dress code, too. Shirt, tie & trousers for the men, skirt and modest blouse for the ladies.

I'm fed up with seeing flip-flops, shorts and a muscle vest, to show off the tattoos and that's just on the women!!!!!

Cheers,
TheOddOne

Artistic Intention
20th Feb 2006, 14:19
TheOddOne

I agree that the Air Malta service was generally good and they are not the guilty party.
In fact the cabin crew work long hours doing both legs, clocking on at 9am for a noon departure and getting back in bhx at 1.45am sunday morning.

Kalium Chloride
20th Feb 2006, 14:27
But the monkeys are holding it out as a direct flight

Fly380's right.

A 'direct' flight is one which does not require you to change aircraft. But that doesn't mean it's non-stop.

Sharm El Sheikh to Birmingham via Venice is direct, if you didn't have to transfer to another aircraft.

Who's the monkey? Next time, go non-stop ;)

CargoOne
20th Feb 2006, 15:03
It depends of the engines thrust rate and maximum certified take-off weight of particular aircraft. There are many weights available, and the difference could be as much as 2.5 hours range. I would say generally that A320 with 77000 kgs certified MTOW would make a 6 hours flight with a full payload without problems. Sure there are many other conditions should be taken into account, number one for SSH would be a ground temperature.

Artistic Intention
20th Feb 2006, 17:01
Cargo One

Temp. probably not a problem this time of year, 8.30pm departure (sunset approx 5.15pm) with hottest daytime temps about 25 deg C

mmeteesside
20th Feb 2006, 18:50
The actual OPERATOR of the aircraft should be clearly stated on the pre-purchase promotional material.

It is, Air Atlanta (Europe) being the operator....with the aircraft leased from Air Malta.....it's leased to them for 2 days a week as Air Malta aren't allowed to do charters to Egypt! Therefore it operates as Air Atlanta Europe, who are :hmm: The other 5 days it operates happily as Air Malta :=