PDA

View Full Version : Flying to "Northern" Cyprus

Tonic Please
19th Feb 2006, 15:50
Hi all.

My family are interested in learning which airlines fly to N. Cyprus from either Gatwick or Stanstead. Are they all stoppng flights at Istanbul, or are there any direct flights?

Will be going last week of August to the end of the first week of September if that makes any difference.

Regards,

Dan

toledoashley
19th Feb 2006, 15:56
No-one flies from UK direct

airhumberside
19th Feb 2006, 17:42
No-one flies from UK direct
KTHY do. You will have to make a stop in DLM, Antalya or Izmir but it should be the same plane from the UK to North Cyprus. KTHY fly from LHR, LGW and STN plus some regional airports

toledoashley
19th Feb 2006, 17:57
due to some stupid rule - all flights to ercan have to route via mainland turkey

LGS6753
19th Feb 2006, 18:50
"some stupid rule" is International Law.

The Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) is not recognised by any country in the world except Turkey.
It exists as a result of a Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974, and the subsequent partition of the island. UN troops still patrol the 'border'.
Fortunately, the two communities are living peacefully at present, but until a political solution is found to this problem, the "stupid rule" will remain in force.

BHX_SLF
19th Feb 2006, 19:12
I have to add my 2p on this.
Northern Cyprus is not a recognised country and therefore cannot receive international flights.
All flights make a stop in Turkey so they can all arrive as "Domestic" flights. This still makes Ercan in Turkish territory by invasion and is not recognised internationally.
The UN still patrol the North-South Green Line. Whilst time may heal memories from 1974, there is still great passion about this in Cyprus, it is discussed daily in their newspapers.
This is no "stupid rule" - ask any Greek or Greek Cypriot what they think about this. :ouch:
End of my 2p's worth !

toledoashley
20th Feb 2006, 11:50
Thank You for that! - I thought that was the case, but didnt have the words!

Tonic Please
20th Feb 2006, 11:57
Thanks guys.

Dan

Buster the Bear
20th Feb 2006, 21:48
If you see A Nadir in N Cyprus, give him a wave from me!

LGWAlan
21st Feb 2006, 12:14
Even if a flight between mainland Turkey and Ercan has a different flight number to the one from the Uk to Turkey - it will probably be the same plane - with no change required.