PDA

View Full Version : R22 to AS355N?

rotorspin
19th Feb 2006, 11:52
Ok, before you all bite my head off, my only request is you go easy on me!
I have searched LASORs and this site for some answers but to no avail!
I am in the closing stages of completing my PPL(H) and once completed would like to immediately buy and train on a 3000+ hour AS355N.
As a business owner I will be using the aircraft to go to meets etc up and down the UK, and love the idea of multi-engine turbine flying.
I realise that there will be a MASSIVE differences training from Robbie to dual turbine, but I am going to hour build on my own aircraft. Do I need to carry an instructor for 100 hours or something?
I am not looking to carry fare paying passengers at any stage, can I do type conversion on award of my PPL(H) or are there massive implications for such a move?
Any help much appreciated!

VeeAny
19th Feb 2006, 12:11
Forgive the cut and paste nature of this, but I don't have access to all my documents, from last years (05) LASORS.
F8.2 REQUIREMENTS FOR THE
ENDORSEMENT OF A SINGLE-PILOT
HELICOPTER TYPE RATING
Pre-requisite Conditions for training
An applicant for the issue of a first type rating for a
multi-engine helicopter shall:
a) hold a certificate of satisfactory completion of a
pre-entry approved course in accordance with
Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 2.255 to be conducted by
a FTO or TRTO or have passed at least the
CPL(H) theoretical knowledge examinations in
accordance with JAR-FCL 2.470; and
b) have completed at least 70 hours as
pilot-in-command of helicopters in accordance with
Appendices 1 and 3 to JAR-FCL 2.240.
c) The possession of a certificate of satisfactory
completion of the pre-entry approved courses in
accordance with Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.155
shall not be a substitute for showing compliance
with JAR-FCL 2.160(b) for the grant of a CPL(H).
JAR-FCL 2.261/2.262 refers.
In short you need 70hrs P1 for issue (on the robbie or other single), and pass a pre entry course with written exam OR do all the CPL(H) writtens.
LASORS section F8.

I'd certainly take someone more experienced along initially, things will happen a lot quicker in the 355N.

V.

mongoose237
19th Feb 2006, 12:12
You cannot conduct any PPL training on such an aircraft.
For your first multi type conversion, look at Section F8 in LASORS 2006 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_06_WEB.pdf)

An applicant for a type rating for single-engine or multi-engine helicopters shall complete a course of flight instruction related to the type rating skill test (please refer to Section F, Appendix F).

An applicant for the issue of a first type rating for a multi-engine helicopter shall:

a) hold a certificate of satisfactory completion of a pre-entry approved course in accordance with Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 2.255 to be conducted by a FTO or TRTO or have passed at least the CPL(H) theoretical knowledge examinations in accordance with JAR-FCL 2.470; and

b) have completed at least 70 hours as pilot-in-command of helicopters in accordance with Appendices 1 and 3 to JAR-FCL 2.240.

c) The possession of a certificate of satisfactory completion of the pre-entry approved courses in accordance with Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.155 shall not be a substitute for showing compliance with JAR-FCL 2.160(b) for the grant of a CPL(H).

So as you can see, you must first have 70 hrs PIC before you can undertake your type conversion. Flying dual with an instructor on type will only afford you dual time.

Good luck, it sounds fantastic. It certainly is possible, there is one famous gentleman that even has a IR for his AS355 commuter!

mongoose237
19th Feb 2006, 12:14
Sorry, VeeAny beat me to it! The quotes from LASORS 2005 and 2006 look the same

nigelh
19th Feb 2006, 17:39
unless you are going to get your I R i see no benefit in flying a twin, you can do no more in the twin than you could in a good old BA , B1 or B2, and for a fraction of the cost.

EESDL
19th Feb 2006, 17:55
If a commuter can afford a modern twin - why on earth would they wish to fly a single??
I know which one I'd prefer...........

CRAZYBROADSWORD
19th Feb 2006, 20:01
One of my ex students has done the same thing he did an R44 conversion before buying one and has now done a 350 and 355 conversion in the hope of buying one. It will be no more differcult than your ppl (h) is at the moment just a little bit differant.

nigelh
19th Feb 2006, 23:27
If all you worry about, when you are flying, is engine failure then i guess you would feel happier in a twin. Personally unless i were to get my I R i think it is much easier lighting one engine. usually faster cruise,better range, more power available and more responsive and fun to fly the single and far cheaper. I can see very few benefits from a twin 350 ie 355 in fact i would bet that most pilots would say the B3 is a better machine.
ps have thought of one benefit to twin and that is flying over london.......

rotorspin
20th Feb 2006, 08:24
Many thanks for all your input, especially the LASOR's pointers, really appreciate it.

My want of flying a turbine twin is not so much a worry of engine failure but a dream since a young kid of flying such a machine. Going in and out of cities and potentially across channel flights, the twin obviously is a bonus.

I realise that twins can suffer tail rotor and engine failures as much as any single engine, and it will take a lot of additional training to get me used to the new beast.

Looks like summer is going to be a lot of fun flying and studying!

paco
20th Feb 2006, 11:15
Rotorspin - enjoy the 355N - it is a very underrrated machine and not impossible to convert to - I would recommend that you also do some engine offs in a 350, just in case. I'm often asked by insurance people about such cases as yours. You will find they will require you to be accompanied for a short while. Talk to Greenarrow on this forum - he does conversions and knows the same underwriter

Phil

Oogle
20th Feb 2006, 14:27
Rotorspin

Good on you! You will love the 355N. Just make sure you get checked every now and then to keep current. Have fun.:ok:

PUP
23rd Feb 2006, 18:55
Rotorspin,
It sounds to me like you may well be some advantages for you in using a management company which would be able to do any, or all, of the following for you: buy/help buy, modify/refurbish, maintain, and hangar your machine as well as providing training for you, and a pilot to accompany you or to position the ac for you.
If you chose to do so, the ac could also be used for VIP/Corporate charter to help cut down the costs of ownership.
PM if you want some more detailed advice.
PUP

nigelh
23rd Feb 2006, 19:13
I guess you will do that just as a mate, and not commercially !! Hay Mr Heliport !!!!!