PDA

View Full Version : FAA conversion to PPL(H) JAA

ATPMBA
19th Feb 2006, 11:37
Hi,
I have an FAA Commercial(H) and would like to get in the UK a JAA PPL(H). What do I need to do?
Is there a training conversion course?
How many hours would I need to fly?
What kind of writtens do I need?
Written exam fees? Flight test fees?
I'll need a Class 2 med, does that have to been done at Gatwick?
What months are best for flight training? I want to avoid getting weathered out.
I prefer to fly S300c's or CB's over R-22s. Any hourly price estimates?
Any training done in the Aberdeen area?
Any school recomendations? You can send me a PM.
If you can help me out I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Ken

mongoose237
19th Feb 2006, 11:55
If you download LASORS 2006 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_06_WEB.pdf) you should find most answers.
Section C for PPL
Section F for Type Ratings
Section A5 for Medicals

Of particular interest will be these extracts from C2.2:
The holder of a current and valid PPL(H)* issued by an ICAO Contracting State (not being a JAA Member State), who has flown a minimum of 100 hours and meets the JAR-FCL PPL(H) flying experience requirements (including 5 hours instrument instruction) as pilot of helicopters, is credited the JAR-FCL PPL(H) training requirements, however they will be required to undertake the PPL(H) Skill Test on a helicopter type for which he is qualified. Applicants wishing to take the PPL(H) Skill Test on a helicopter type on which they are not qualified will be required to complete the training requirements for an additional helicopter type as detailed in Section F8.

The holder of a current and valid PPL(H)* issued by an ICAO Contracting State (not being a JAA Member State), who has flown less than 100 hours as pilot of helicopters, but meets the JAR-FCL PPL(H) flying experience requirements (including 5 hours instrument instruction) is credited the flying training, except the PPL(H) Skill Test. Applicants wishing to take the PPL(H) Skill Test on a helicopter type on which they are not qualified will be required to complete the training requirements for an additional helicopter type as detailed in Section F8.
Some H269 operators:
Stirling Helicopters, Norwich
Oxford
Bournemouth Helicopters
I recall there being a company in Ireland operating H269s too.
I think Fast Helicopters no longer have access to the H269 but I may be wrong

I would expect rates to be £250ish plus VAT depending on which variant.

I believe that it is only Class 1 Initials that must be conducted at Gatwick.

You may find Standards Document 30, Registered Facilities (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_REGISTEREDFACILITIES.PDF) and Standards Document 31, FTOs (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_APPROVEDFTOS.PDF) useful for contact details.

chester2005
19th Feb 2006, 16:00
Helicentre Liverpool has Schweizer Helicopters for training .
About £240 + VAT per hour

Chester:ok:

rudestuff
20th Feb 2006, 03:11
Silly question - why would you want to?

I can understand someone converting a CPL but you can already fly legally on your FAA PPL in the UK anyway (and fly anything under 12,500lbs)