PDA

View Full Version : CMOS Checksum error

BOAC
18th Feb 2006, 19:09
Newish(4 month) Mobo, 512mb RAM, and every now and then a CMOS error. Just occasionally a typical Windows 'blue screen' announcing a 'memory dump' (WXP)

I understand the CMOS problem may indicate a failing battery!!??. Is there any software/diagnostic way of checking the battery?

frostbite
18th Feb 2006, 19:59
If I'm not stating the bleedin' obvious - check for loose battery housing or a bit of good old green grot on the connections - shouldn't be failing at that age.

BOAC
18th Feb 2006, 20:14
No you are not! I have yet to 'dive' into the case, and was hoping to find a voltage monitor prog somewhere. Are there any other known causes of the error?

frostbite
18th Feb 2006, 21:51
I haven't heard of any software that will do that. You should be able to easily check it with a multimeter if you have one. While you're in there, check anything socketed to see if it's fully home - leave the mains plug in, but switched off, and ground yourself on the bare metal case before touching owt.

vapilot2004
18th Feb 2006, 22:04
BOAC, I would go to your mobo website - they may have something for you.

Meanwhile if it doesn't stop, I would recommend flashing the BIOS to the newest revision (W a R n I n G - potentially harmful - may kill the mobo especially w/o an UPS) or better yet, give the techies at the mobo company a crack at it - and req a new one should there be no resolution.

This is not normal - and may eventually leave you with no pc. The BSOD may be related to the CMOS problem or even a bad ram chip.

BOAC
19th Feb 2006, 06:58
Thanks all - off to work today so back on the case mid-week.

BOAC
25th Mar 2006, 10:57
Update - I'm pretty sure it has been isolated now to a faulty USB hub.

Conan the Librarian
25th Mar 2006, 11:34
Another possibility for some, will be a wireless keyboard/mouse. Used to happen to me until I changed wi fi Keyboard to a Belkin. (Although of course, this did connect the TX via USB)

Conan

DBTL
25th Mar 2006, 19:08
You'll need to have the mainboard warranty replaced. The memory dump is basically unrelated, but a mobo can go bad in some weird ways.