PDA

View Full Version : A scary movie, tell me they made it ?

RotorSwede
18th Feb 2006, 18:34
Just surfed the internet, what else could one do a satuday night when the ATPL books are preventing you from any kind of partying ;)

Anyway, just looked at a really scary movie from inside a helo suffering an enginefailure at night. This movie was one of the worst I've seen, really felt the panic the crew must have felt, the guy screaming "flare!" in the end made me cold.

The movie is available at http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/videos/ (found the link in another thread here) and is called "A 333 Suffers engine failure at night".

I just make a guess that it could be a police a/c judgeing from the callsign "eagle" and that they seem to do some sort of surveilance.

Anyone know what happened, would feel good if the crew made it and still works in the sky.

The accident happened 19th of february 2004 it says on the screen. Couldn't find anything googling the net.

best regards

RS

C of G
18th Feb 2006, 18:49
They made it. However the helicopter was totaled.:sad: Two on board, both pilots. Happened at about 500 AGL and managed to make a mayday and response as well as a significant turn to the landing area. I believe they went above some power lines and under others, and what was yelled might not have been "Flare........Flare", but "Wires.......Wires".:eek: Excellent job all considered.:ok:

helidave
18th Feb 2006, 18:51
i think this is it

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20040219X00205&key=1

Encyclo
18th Feb 2006, 19:01
San Antonio Police back in 2004; Details below. Good news is two minor injuries. Bad news...another 330 to the scrap heap:sad:
Accident occurred Thursday, February 19, 2004 in San Antonio, TX
Probable Cause Approval Date: 12/3/2004
Aircraft: Schweizer 269D, registration: N255TP
Injuries: 2 Minor.
The 493-hour pilot reported that approximately 5 minutes after departure, he noticed a "slight change in engine noise." Subsequently, he heard a "bang," followed by an aural engine warning horn, and a loss of engine power. The pilot initiated an autorotation, and during the autorotation, the helicopter impacted power lines, landed hard on a parking lot surface and came to rest upright. A witness located adjacent to the helicopter's flight path reported hearing a "loud backfire" followed by subsequent white smoke coming from the helicopter. Review of the aircraft maintenance records revealed the engine was overhauled approximately 295 hours prior to the accident. During the engine overhaul, the impeller travel (bump clearance) was measured to be approximately .010 inches. During the engine teardown examination, prior to the removal of the compressor rotor from the rear support, the impeller travel (bump clearance) was measured to be approximately 0.021 inches. The third, fifth, and sixth stage vane assemblies were bent in the direction of rotation. Corresponding damage was observed on the trailing edges of the blades on the adjacent forward compressor rotors. Fretting and score marks noted on the compressor assembly components were consistent with axial movement at the compressor assembly resulting in contact between the compressor blades and vanes, and a subsequent compressor stall and loss of engine power.
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The loss of engine power due to the axial movement of the compressor rotor blades contacting the compressor vanes resulting in a subsequent compressor stall. A contributing factor was the improper assembly of the compressor section during the engine overhaul by unknown maintenance personnel.

Bravo73
18th Feb 2006, 19:35
RotorSwede,

Try the PPRuNe Search function. (Just make sure that you select 'Any Date' under 'Find Posts from'). It was discussed here on Rotorheads at length when the video first appeared.

The owner of griffin-helicopters.co.uk got the clip from here in the first place.

HTH,

B73