PDA

View Full Version : Grade 1 Instructor (Australia)

WLM
18th Feb 2006, 06:54
Can a Grade 1 CASA instructor provide BFR or type endorsement for a CASA CPLH using a foreign registered aircraft (ICAO country)? I looked up the CASA regs on the net but cannot see clearly where and if it is stipulated a VH aircraft must be used
Thanks
WLM :O

Quick Release
18th Feb 2006, 16:50
For what its worth, the paper work has the Grade ones details advertising his authority and your details showing completion of the BFR both of coarse CASA licencing, there is nothing in the paper work asking for a rego.... is there? not that i remember.

WLM
19th Feb 2006, 05:47
Thanks Quick Release.
No it does not say anything about the aircraft in the BFR or Type endorsement paperwork. The BFR is manually entered in the applicant logbook.
Reason for my question relates to witnessing an incident sometime back. A check ride was given in a foreign aircraft by a CFI (FAA) and holder of this foreign country CFI license as well. The check ride applicant (CASA CPLH)when presenting his application for foreign validation of his original licence was nearly suspended of any future flying cos he apparently broke the local aviation authority regulations. A foreign student pilot license was required to fly a foreign aircraft even for a check ride....
So my question(s) again:
1/ is an Oz instructor grade 1 entitled to provide CASA BFR in a foreign registered aircraft when the applicant for BFR is legally flying with the foreign validation of his Oz license?
2/ is the Oz instructor entitled to provide a CASA type rating in the foreign registered aircraft when the applicant is now seeking type rating in the foreign registered aircraft towards a foreign validation of his CASA license?
Hope this make sense. Thanks

wossupdog
19th Feb 2006, 09:59
There is nothing in any of the documents except:

Each CASA designated AOC states the following in part 3.3 (the flying training section)

"The Australian registered aircraft listed in part 3.1 are authorised to conduct flying training at the following aerodromes:"

there then follows a list of aerodromes approved by CASA to conduct flight training including training other than for a flight crew licence or rating (such as a BFR)

It would be possible to obtain an approval to conduct flight training out side Australia, but not so sure about non Australian registered aircraft!

Oogle
19th Feb 2006, 10:57
WLM

The answer is "YES". An Aus instructor (Grade 1 or 2) can give a type endorsement using a foreign registered aircraft for another Aus licence holder. Normal restrictions apply ie. instructor must be endorsed themselves and if multi-engine they must have the minimum multi-engine experience IAW the CAO's.

The answer can be found in the Civil Aviation Act (No. 20 ????).

Hope this helps. :ok:

Quick Release
19th Feb 2006, 11:45
Hmmm i may not be following to well but he was after a validation of his current CASA licence in a foriegn country after he had also flown a check ride? and so did it without a licence in effect?
maybe this was the main problem, if i got it right.:confused:

WLM
19th Feb 2006, 13:05
Thanks guys, will look at the Act again. Quick Release, the incident took place 3 years ago and nothing make sense in this foreign country trust me...
Cheers
WLM

spinwing
19th Feb 2006, 14:01
Ok this could get tricky depending on the info supplied .....

Technically, I think both pilots would have to be licenced to fly that foreign countries aircraft .. the instructor would have to be legal to fly as P1 and from the left seat. The candidate would have to then have at least a student licence of the country of registration of the a/c (and in that case the captain would then need to have an Instructor rating or approval to carry out dual training). That qualifies them to then be in the aircraft. Then the instructor (or if he has an ATPL and the candidate a CPL) can then do what ever training or checking he wishes for whatever other qualification he may have ????

Of course I may well be wrong!!! :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Cheers

Oogle
19th Feb 2006, 17:24
WLM

A few years ago I required a type endorsement on my CASA ATPL. I had a foreign registered aircraft available for the type rating. I also had a CASA (Aus) instructor available as well. After posing the exact same question to my CASA FOI at the time, they advised that it was legal and the type rating went ahead. I then had my CASA licence validated with another country with this type rating included.

BFR - don't know as (in my case) the type rating covered that requirement anyway.

WLM
19th Feb 2006, 23:58
Thanks Oogle, will proceed ahead as am now in the same situation as you were before. Definitely cheaper than having to fly home for a simple BFR.
Cheers
WLM