PDA

View Full Version : Corporate or Airlines???

globallocal
17th Feb 2006, 17:26
I'm a Glex F/O but have recently been asked to attend some airline interviews. My current position has me overseas from my family on rotation and the airline would get me back to my home country (Oz).
just looking for some experiences from other people. I haven't made up my mind yet. I like my present job, but I'm not with my familiy all the time.
thanks in advance.

Xshongololo
17th Feb 2006, 19:14
Ive done both....
you would need your head examining to do airline work...im not talking low cost.
From Corp aviation to Airline I went from 350 hours a year to 750 hours a year respectively.
Yes I see more of my family with an airline job but all I can muster at home is the dark shades under my eyes for all my family to see and afew grunts of conversation and then theirs the relentless bean counters trying to make a profit for share-holders.
BUT I had to do the airline thing just to see what it was like....its been a big disssapointment......................you have been warned.

globallocal
17th Feb 2006, 19:51
yea but I'm doing upward of 650hrs both 91 and 135. away 3-4 weeks at a time.

pistulaza
18th Feb 2006, 07:48
yea but I'm doing upward of 650hrs both 91 and 135. away 3-4 weeks at a time.

I am a corporate pilot, and formelrly a was in airline... if you are able to join Company like Cathay or Singapore you can reach a good balance between work and lifestyle oterwise is better corporate.
I understand you are a glex f/o, increase your experience and try to find a job closer to your family.

P.S. Are your family in Turkey?

globallocal
18th Feb 2006, 19:35
No they are in Australia. The corporate scene in Oz is a little thin.

pistulaza
19th Feb 2006, 06:41
No they are in Australia. The corporate scene in Oz is a little thin.

Before to change to airline i suggest you, to try another employement in the corporate world and after you can decide.

His dudeness
19th Feb 2006, 13:15
Well, dunno about OZ, but here in Europe you can change from airline to executive any day. Viseversa without rating above age 35 - very little chances.

Never been doing 121, but doing 650 hrs on 135 like we do it (average trip time is about 45 Minutes) means a lot time on the road. I donīt do very much overnighting, but usually my girlfriend is already asleep when I come and when I go...so give me a 135 job with a schedule and...okayokay, stop laughin!!!

Go for the airlinejob !

globallocal
20th Feb 2006, 05:20
"but doing 650 hrs on 135 like we do it (average trip time is about 45 Minutes)" ( dont know or can't be bothered how to work the quote thing)

Our average trip is 8hrs (one way). no we don't get home every night, so no cuddling up to the girlfriend or the wife.

Not that I have a girlfriend.

no time!!!!!

His dudeness
20th Feb 2006, 08:00
...not that I have a wife (no money)... :-)

Doodlebug
21st Feb 2006, 17:01
...hence, stay corporate, HisDudeness! :}

pistulaza
21st Feb 2006, 21:18
Stay corporate!;)

Will Rogers
22nd Feb 2006, 08:13
I agree...stay corporate!
Heard a wisper somewhere down the road that a GLEX may find its way to Oz... soon... maybe ;)

globallocal
24th Feb 2006, 00:30
Already know about that one. :ok:

wondering
24th Feb 2006, 16:54
Looks like Execujet Australia is getting a GLEX :ok:

Will Rogers
24th Feb 2006, 19:37
That would be the one... :cool:

Best of luck if you're applying!!! :)

huckleberry58
1st Mar 2006, 06:57
Yeah, stay corporate! The airline thing works you like a dog.