PDA

View Full Version : Bombing Ranges to Army

Tranquility
17th Feb 2006, 16:15
Afternoon gents,

Just heard a rumour that from March 31st all the RAF's bombing ranges will transfer to DTE and come under the Army's remit!! Not sure whether this will make much of a difference or indeed if it will actually benefit the FJ fraternity.Certainly could be some interesting times ahead,can just imagine a certain user's response when told,sorry guv but the grunts are carrying out platoon manoeuvres this week,bugger off and play elsewhere.

Then again maybe the start date speaks for itself:rolleyes:

Tilt and Gain
17th Feb 2006, 16:24
Nope. That particular rumour hasn't reached this fine establishment.
But I can't see a reason for it or a serious problem if it were to happen. I mean... an organisation would have to be stark raving mad to allow their soldiers to conduct platoon manoeuvres on a live bombing range!

Mike Reheat
17th Feb 2006, 16:51
I thought all ranges were managed by BAE Systems (Land Systems). Would have thought that the army had enough on their hands with all the additional commitments they have and were suffering 'overstretch' like the rest of us!!!!:confused:

Tranquility
17th Feb 2006, 17:15
Nah,the RAF still have a few left,a few on the east coast and 1 in Scotland.I used to be at one in the 80's and still keep in touch with a few mates.BAE from what I remember used to have West freugh and Aberporth.

BEagle
17th Feb 2006, 17:33
Fond memories of filling in as an RSO at Pembrey after my TWU course at Brawdy (wonderful days) some 30 years ago....

First day, left Brawdy at 0-very early and drove over to find the place to do my 'Dual Check'. Ancient Flt Lt was the real RSO, plus a couple of airmen on the spotting quadrants. We bashed through the bondhu to the range tower, to await the arrival of the first Hunter of the day. Duties were pretty simple - read off the Saab strafe figures and report the bomb scores plotted by the trusty Cpl downstairs.

Next session, I was technically the Stn Cdr, RAF Pembrey Sands. Arrived at 0-exceedingly early. "Would Sir like brekkie?" "Yes please!" Then off to the tower.

All went very well, then a yacht sailed through the Danger Area, so we had to go cold. Recognised a mate's voice (Kiwi O'M) and asked him to 'persuade' said yacht to poke off.

"Say again??"
"Please persuade that damn yacht to poke off"
"OK"

Whoooooooooooooooo...roarrrr!

"I didn't get them to look!"
"Why? They must have heard you?"
"They're $hagging!"

Coitus completus, the yacht and crew finally buggered off. All then went quite well (apart from a Harrier asking to repeat a FRA....:rolleyes:) until a Learning Command JP managed to fly through the range just after a Hunter had called "In Hot". With a bit of deduction, and after calling STOPx3 I guessed it was probably on a landaway to St Mawgan, so belled them up...

"Have you got a JP inbound?"
"Yes, it's just breaking into the circuit..."
"Compliments of the Station Commander, Royal Air Force Pembrey Sands. Tell the crew if they ever do that again, they can expect to be shot down"
"Pardon?"
"What I said!"

Happy days - another little piece of the RAF way of life now sadly defunct....

Out Of Trim
17th Feb 2006, 20:40
BEagle

I was stationed at RAF Pembrey sands 1982-1986 - "small world" RSO's Assistant as an SAC in those days.. Anyway a small souvenir for you!

The Old Control Tower Pembrey Sands

http://firestorm.smugmug.com/photos/56656169-L.jpg

VP8
18th Feb 2006, 15:16
Did two tours on AWR's Donna And Cowden, late 70's early 80's enjoyed both!!

Watching the Vulcans bombing through the airway onto Cowden for the FI's or the Vulcan Bombing Donna thinking he was at Cowden (same TGT number and run in!!:) )

VEEPS

L Peacock
18th Feb 2006, 16:31
Tranquility

West Freugh and Aberporth are operated by QQ.
The only air range I'm aware BAe ran was the North Sea ACMI range.

Tranquility
18th Feb 2006, 17:08
Of course,forgot about QuinetiQ,did they not take over from BAe though?Hear they charge a fortune too for the use of their facilities.

Sloppy Link
18th Feb 2006, 19:46
DTE is exactly that. Defence Training Estates, not Army, RAF or whatever. The day to day running will remain the same, it follows that someone in the RA knows how an RA range operates in the same way AWRs will still be run by the RAF. The change will be at higher management levels with one inspection team, one policy, one point of contact, one CoC, one employer of civvies et al. Those who read JSP 403 would have seen it coming years ago, just this once I think the Army have the march on the RAF and are fairly prepared for the change. Army Training Estates was established as an agency about 7 years ago, generally regarded as a success and is being used a template.

Pontius Navigator
19th Feb 2006, 08:38
Yes, DTE will be a TLB from Defence Estates I think which puts it on a par with Strike, Land etc.

<<The change will be at higher management levels with one inspection team, one policy, one point of contact, one CoC, one employer of civvies et al.>>

There will also be a chance of actually having higher management as moving from a combat service to a support service means that higher management will be more focussed and probably less likely to be detached on OOA tours.

As for one point of contact, that depends on which end of the telescope you are looking through. At the moment the English, Welsh and Scottish AWRs are controlled at one level by 1 Gp.

In April this will transfer to Warminster - new job for an RAF Sqn Ldr? any takers? - however there will be a separate regional layer interposed in England, Wales and Scotland. Just which one will assume control of Episkopi is anther matter.

As DTE gain experience, and presumably 1 Gp lose experience, who will be the safety advisor for temporary range clearances overseas? I guess the army has a system so the RAF will probably use the same system - ie retain or devolve.