PDA

View Full Version : Blitzing Seagulls in Hout Bay

starcrest
17th Feb 2006, 14:51
It seems this forum has gone to sleep??

During the week a newspaper published an article about a flock of seagulls being wiped out by a low flying rescue helicopter on a training flight in Hout Bay. It was alleged that the heli was flying at seagull circuit height.

Any more?

Bataleur
18th Feb 2006, 04:35
Cape Times. Some people just don't have enough to complain about

Quote:
Low-flying helicopter hits seagulls over Hout Bay harbour

A sea rescue helicopter that had just completed a training exercise and was flying over Hout Bay harbour hit five seagulls, killing three of them and injuring the others so badly they died.

The Vodacom Netcare 911 Surf Rescue helicopter was flying about five metres above the water when it struck the birds, said Stuart Schouw.

Schouw was a rescue helicopter crew member for 20 years until 2004 and is now a safety officer in the offshore oil industry with a helicopter landing officers' qualification.

"We were in a boat and when we reached them, three were dead and the wings of the other two were chopped off and they also died.

"The first time I saw the helicopter take off from the beach and hover in the harbour I was worried that it was going to hit something.

"Then it left and came back into the harbour and my fears became a reality because that's when it struck the birds.

"Helicopters aren't allowed to hover so low in areas like that. It's extremely dangerous. There were yachts and boats it could also have struck."

Craig Lambinon, spokesperson for the National Sea Rescue Institute, confirmed the helicopter had been taking part in a routine training exercise in Hout Bay.

He said, however, that when it had completed the exercise and taken off to leave the area and continue its routine patrol, one seagull flew into it.

Lambinon would not say more.

Schouw reported the incident to the port control in Cape Town harbour.

An officer in charge at port control, who asked not to be named, confirmed a report had been received that "a helicopter had been flying too low and had hit a couple of birds".

The incident was being investigated, the officer said.

ScrewyRabbit
18th Feb 2006, 06:30
Why is it that there's always someone "who asked not to be named" featuring in stories like this? It's a birdstrike, for goodness sake, not a rape trial!

Love the way the chopper is also always flying "too low". I've been on the recieiving end of reporting like this in the past, it makes my blood boil. Nuts to the seagulls, I say. Were they broadcasting on the appropriate frequencies?:E

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Feb 2006, 09:05
Not certain but I believe they were squawking.....:ok:

starcrest
18th Feb 2006, 14:03
:D Hee hee hee, good one Rust. I see one of them "flew into the helicopter", silly bird, not only bad squawking but bad VFR skills too.

iceweed
22nd Feb 2006, 08:08
The helicopter was hovering too low, therefore the dumb #%^&#%! seagulls had to fly into the heli, and not visa versa.:rolleyes: