PDA

View Full Version : Getting into BIOS/ Safe Mode Wirelessly

Tosh McCaber
17th Feb 2006, 11:42
I've moved over to a wireless keyboard/ mouse set-up. I now find that the old method of pressing F8 rapidly on start-up to enter into the BIOS/ safe mode set-up doesnt work. Other than holding on to my old wired keyboard, are there any options open? (In the last day or two, both my CD and DVD drives have disappeared from the lists in Windows Explorer- the trays still work, but I suspect that the BIOS has been altered in some way- but I can't get in!)

Thanks,

Tosh

Lost_luggage34
17th Feb 2006, 12:12
I experienced a similar 'feature' with a wireless keyboard & mouse. Damn irritating if you want to get into the BIOS.

I put it down to the fact that the transceiver was USB connected and that USB doesn't really liven up until well after the PS2 ports in the boot process.

Fortunately the transeiver came with a USB - PS2 adapter. Using that solved the access to BIOS issue and keyboard mouse worked just as well. Don't know if you have that option ?

As for the CD & DVD drives - not sure on that one.

BOFH
18th Feb 2006, 12:40
Some work better than others - I've seen Logitech USB wireless keyboards which exhibited no problems. I can only suggest you see the support forum for the manufacturer, and ask there if the issue isn't already covered.

If the CD/DVD don't show up in the hardware/device manager section of control panel/system (or administrative tools/computer amanement/disk maangement), your BIOS may have forgotten them and the PS/2 keyb should be deployed.

BOFH

effortless
18th Feb 2006, 12:55
As a general rule, I always keep wired keyboard and mouse handy. It saves a lot of hassle when you need one.

Sorry to be so obvious.